Jumper

→ in
Tools    

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
This does look like a quite cool film.

Finally! I have seen this, I'm glad I didn't pay for it it was on a Divx disc my sister sent me

Great review Yods

Not good. I can't believe they took a concept as good as teleportation and completely ransacked it. I mean aside from the names, the movie has pretty much nothing to do with the book, which wasn't that great anyway but it was a lot better than the movie.

A PHD in Whiskey and Stonerology
This does look like a quite cool film.
Well I assure you you will be very disappointed. It's actually kind of hard for me to put the finger on what exactly made Jumper so terrible... it was def. a combination of a lot of small issues though. Suffice to say it is a very cool premise that was, sorry to say, botched entirely.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Yeah, my son enjoyed it but then he enjoyed the Hulk movie that came out a while ago. The older one?

LOL.

I didn't like the movie much at all. It was just too much action that you couldn't see and too little storyline. What storyline there was, had HUGE holes in it.

It's sad when a great idea is so poorly realized on film.

Registered Creature
Jumper had an interesting concept, but as usual, Hayden Christensen ruined it with his horrible acting. He always seems so cynical in his films.

Yes, this movie starred Hayden Christensen. No, there weren't any light sabers. And no, his acting wasn't as horrible as his Anakin Skywalker "impression." Ok, so now that the particulars are cleared up, he piloted a pretty descent flick this time around (it surprised me). This movie coasted under the radar up until its release and was able to impress its viewers. No gimmicks, no tricks, no undeserved hype. It delivered everything that it was expected not to. Here's how...

Here is my review. It's divided into 6 critique areas. It will contain no spoilers.

INTRO: Yep, you guessed it...another flashback. But it wasn't fruitless...it does its purpose of explaining our main character's background and unique abilities. A story-starter that was interesting to watch. With some of these pictures that have no precedent or back story but are new ideas, the viewer has to give the story a chance to prove itself. Jumper was based on a novel back in 92 but it has no history other than that. By way of usual occurrences, I would assume the book was better (you know how these film adaptations go). But not having known that, this film does well in inviting you in, introducing this character, and showing the audience something that just flat out hasn't been done. I liked this beginning for another reason: It didn't exactly feel sci-fi but had a more down-to-Earth vibe. As it goes on and introduces more characters, this familiarity begins to disappear.

PLOT/PACING: Simple exposition meets simple story-telling and you get a film that supplies a mild, yet eventful experience...with spikes along the way. The happenings of our protagonists and antagonists were straightforward enough, but major plot-lines are frequently referenced that this film never allows us to be privy to. Main characters discuss the past, other characters, and motivations that we don't know about. Not that the story we're watching isn't exciting, it's just that the over-laying plot that's continually alluded to seems a lot deeper than our main character's situation. But I wasn't surprised, this is a classic example of "teasing." Its quite bold on the part of writers to do this for an entire film, but the pay off is anticipation for your sequel. Story-lines and intriguing plot points are purposely omitted to build steam for your next movie, where all these things will be addressed and expounded upon (a one-two punch). Obviously, it's a risk. As the team that puts this together, you have to make sure you deliver.

ACTION: Like Night-crawler's powers that are attributed to the mutant gene, it seems there is a science to what the people in Jumper are capable of. Of course, because of the nature of this film's "discretion", this science is never explained and the origin of this phenomenon is never developed. But it was still VERY cool to watch. The way in which the "jumps" are presented is great, and it adds so much uncertainty to the fight scenes. Instead of "in-your-face" action, Jumper takes a different approach. The action is specialized, focused on drama and suspense, rather than over-the-top chase sequences and fireworks. A flavor that works well with the tone of the movie.

CHARACTERS: Hayden received some serious acting lessons between his shouting and whining in Revenge of the Sith and now. He was believable every moment of the way, and he never stopped entertaining you. There's also an interesting family dynamic between he and his parents and I look forward to this becoming very integral in the sequel. The love interest is a regular girl-next-door and could have been replaced by any popular dark-haired actress. But she played her role well, even as cliche as it was. Few times, you may question her motives, but you'll recall that the opening flashback sets a precedent for these aspects of her character. Basically, the plot told us these two were in love, so we believe it. Now, the villain (Samuel Jackson)... he's the most underdeveloped of all. You don't know WHAT he's after or WHY for that matter. He seems fueled by some self motivation but the story soon proves this theory false. Oh well, hopefully they'll tell us in Jumper 2.

CONCLUSION: Cliffhanger. As the falling action began to wrap itself up and the conclusion took the spotlight, I knew one thing: A sequel is in the making. Our protagonist has a revelation, more intriguing plot points are uncovered, and as he starts on this uncertain path, the ending credits steal the glory. Many movie-goers have a problem with this. Some don't like being teased, and others hate it. But this isn't a bad way to do your movie. This film is a "starter." We're introduced to this universe, aquainted with the heros and villains, and we begin an unknown journey through the cautious eyes of the main character. Where this journey takes us remains to be seen...

SYNOPSIS: Jumper leaps off the screen with cool and innovative stunts that keeps the audience glued. Tame story-telling and mild exposition may not have the charisma to wow most, but even the avid movie-watcher can find entertainment with these characters. This movie earns an AVERAGE rating.

Jumper didn't show the depth I know it has that would have propelled it to the next level, but it courageously flirted with its viewers, giving them a taste of what this franchise has to offer. I suggest a rental. When the sequel hits, you want to be fully caught up on this awesome adventure.