Help kindly requested, anyone know these bands?

Tools    

Thread pretty much sums it up. Anyone heard/like/recommend any of these bands?

God Speed You Black Emperor

Sigur Ros

Silver Mt Zion

Faxed Head

Weird Little Boy

Primus

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

Carnival in Coal

Meshuggah

Clouddead

Estradasphere

Explosions in the Sky

Porcupine Tree

Opeth

Mogwai

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I can recommend Sigur Ros, Opeth and certainly Primus. And though a friend loves them, I'd not recommend Meshuggah, all their sounds just clash together.

Edit: Oh, and Mogwai, though I can't name a song of theirs I do remember listening to them a while back and thinking I did like them...

I wipe my ass with your feelings
Not a single one

*returns to the music that is Post Grunge*
We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

Porcupine Tree are great, as are Primus.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Godspeed You Black Emperor does not only have one of the best band names, but they're really cool as well. I haven't heard too much but what I have heard is really original.

I wouldn't say that I'm a fan of Meshuggah but if you like advanced metal with brains, you should definately check them out. They are fascinating if nothing else.

Mogwai are cool. Primus are sometimes fun. I've never heard much Sigur Ros but everyone who have seem to love them.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Thread pretty much sums it up. Anyone heard/like/recommend any of these bands?

God Speed You Black Emperor
Wonderful, dark, apocalyptic music. Constant tension build-up and release... truly brilliant music.

Sigur Ros
Cold and inhuman ambience done to perfection. Chances are, you'll like them. Everyone does.

Silver Mt Zion

Faxed Head

Weird Little Boy
I've heard of one of them.

Primus
Not my kind of music, but they're brilliant in their own right. I'm guessing if you're intrigued by their legends, you'll enjoy them.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

Carnival in Coal
No idea.

Meshuggah
Meh.

Clouddead

Estradasphere

Explosions in the Sky
Not a clue

Porcupine Tree
I have a friend who used to go crazy over them. I find them okay once in a while, but nothing thrilling. The lead singer is flamboyantly gay, as I recall, and their lyrics are rather indulgent a la Jon Anderson.

Opeth
Brooding, dark metal. I'm not a metal person by any means, but even I respect their early work. Their later work retreated into more typical 90s metal.

Mogwai
Inconsistent, but really hit it hard on their moments. "Mogwai Fear Satan" is a 14 minute orgasm.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Not meaning to be an ass or anything.. but Opeth are actually Progressive-Death Metal. And all they did was expand their sound, and progress. And kindly explain what this "90's metal" thing is.

Originally Posted by Electric Wizard
Not meaning to be an ass or anything.. but Opeth are actually Progressive-Death Metal. And all they did was expand their sound, and progress. And kindly explain what this "90's metal" thing is.
Yes, and their "progression" towards crap metal was unwelcomed by me. Anyway, 90's metal is essentially the typical sound of mixing soft with loud to ineffective degrees. I thought they lost a lot of their dark beauty when they started polishing everything like Metallica does. Of course, I'm not saying they sound like Metallica, but that they became overly polished as they went along, which happened with a lot of metal that came out of the nineties. And I'm sure that you have a million disagreements, but I am the first to admit that I'm not an intimate metal fan, so your precision is wasted on me.

Godspeed is some really epic music. Basicallly everything Henry the Kid says applies.

Primus has some fantastic bass and drum work in it, and can be fun to listen to if in the right mood.

A friend of mine with great taste in music loves Explosions in the Sky, if that's of any help.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Mogwai can be hit or miss, they're from my neck of the woods, and I've seen them once or twice. IMO the Peel Sessions with Mogwai is an excellent album and worth buying. Man I miss John Peel, hard to replace a legend and pioneer in the music industry!!!
P.S. You should be able to buy Mogwai's Peel Sessions at HMV, Tower or Virgin, HMV's website also lets you sample certain albums, might be worth a try.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
HMV's website also lets you sample certain albums, might be worth a try.
And so does Amazon, now if only i had some speakers......

Prog Archives has been updated recently, and there's loads of cool mp3 on there.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
No speakers!!!! I thought Scotland was in the dark ages, but you take the biscuit my flame loving friend!!!