A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT

3:

MURMUR OF THE HEART

4:

FORBIDDEN GAMES

5:

THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Five is too few. I had a hard enough time going with ten, and there are still many just as good which I've omitted.

Z
Cyrano de Bergerac (1990)
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
My Father's Glory
The Two of Us
Night and Fog
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Amelie
Diabolique
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

My favourite:

1. Ne le dis a personne by Guillaume Canet
2. Fahrenheit 451 by Francois Truffaut
3. District 13 by Pierre Morel
4. Le Samourai by Jean-Pierre Melville
5. Les rivieres pourpres II by Olivier Dahan

Recommended!!

Rather than an all time top 5, I'll just list the 5 best french films I"ve seen (for the first time!) this year.

5) Le vieil homme et l'enfant - The Two of Us (1967) - Berri
A young Jewish boy is sent to live with an elderly couple in the countryside. He's being hidden from the Nazis during the occupation. He tries to fathom what a Jew is from jumbled rants of the mildly anti-semitic but loving old man.

4) My Night at Maud's (1969) - Rohmer
A talky intellectual film about love and faith. I liked this because, the characters revealed themselves through what they said, instead of their actions and deeds.

3) L"Art d'aimer - The Art of Love (2011) - Mouret
Mouret takes the premise from his last film "Please, please me" where a man must absolutely have an affair and applies this comically to four couples. Typical, dead pan humor. Mouret seems to mature as a filmmaker with each successive film, so his latest offering always seems his best.

2) The Names of love (2011) - Leclerc
A nice comedic mediation on how national identity forms society and deforms the individual.

1) Pourquoi tu pleures? - Bachelor Days are over (2011) - Lewkowski
A twenty something man gets cold feet a couple days before his marriage. Great casting, most of the characters literally come alive seconds after their first screen appearance. Plus the French family unit contrasts wonderfully with her close-knit ethnic family.

I can't narrow it down to 5 right now, but my favourites off the top of my head are:
  • Le Cercle Rouge (1970)
  • Army of Shadows (1969)
  • Le Samouraï (1967)
  • Jean de Florette (1986)
  • Manon des Sources (1986)
  • Monsieur Klein (1976)
  • Au Revoir Les Enfants (1987)
  • L'Argent (1983)
  • Le Corbeau (1943)
  • Night And The City (1950)
  • La Haine (1995)
  • Un Prophète (2009)
  • Des Hommes et des Dieux (2010)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
That decent flick better than timeless masterpiece? Really different tastes we have.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
That decent flick better than timeless masterpiece? Really different tastes we have.
While Passion of Joan of Arc is good, its violence just isn't quite as relatable to my American white middle-class upbringing. Also it's slow

No need to be d*cks and reply sarcastically to everything, people like different things, and if they prefer to watch films they find more entertaining than films that are regarded important/classics, I don't see nothing wrong with it, I'd rather they be honest and list the films they thought were better/enjoy more than what they are 'supposed to'.

While Passion of Joan of Arc is good, its violence just isn't quite as relatable to my American white middle-class upbringing. Also it's slow
The violence in La Haine is so related to my American white middle-class upbringing though.

Anyway, probably my top ten so far

Le Cercle Rouge

Le Mépris

Pierrot Le Fou

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

La Jetée

Caché

Breathless

Un Chien Andalou

La Grande Illusion

La Régle du Jeu

Hmmm... I say: