Good Things in the Star Wars Prequels

Tools    

Well, ok, Ep II between Christensen and Portman... Christensen is a pap actor as it is, but the scripting certainly didn't help. A kid could have written a better script in crayon.

As for Midi-Chrlorians.
The whole thing with passing through the family, is just how it was, especially with how Anakin was conceived. There was never any genetics involved.
The Force is a force, it surrounds us and binds the Galaxy together. A Jedi's power flows from The Force.

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

Then in EP I... Lucas makes The Force a physical thing based solely on how many Midi-Chlorians we have in our bloodstream? What an *******.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Story wise, the prequels aren't good. My big problem is that the prequels contradict things in the originals to such a degree that it's hard to overlook. And the scripts to the prequels were atrocious. "I hate sand..." 'Nuff Said. Plus WAY too much CGI. It's clear that the films were all done in front of green screens. Characters rarely interact with their surroundings, and the acting is stiff and unconvincing because the actors have no idea what is actually happening.

But I gotta say that the world building was fantastic. I loved seeing all the new alien worlds and their inhabitants. I'm actually hoping that this is something that the new films can continue, not just go back to places we've been before because of nostalgia.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Story wise, the prequels aren't good. My big problem is that the prequels contradict things in the originals to such a degree that it's hard to overlook.
What contradictions are there other than the force?

Rodent did a good job explaining why making it "genetic" contradicted the original mythology, even then though I think it could be explained away using a bit of Sci-Fi (ex. it's an omnipresent force, but it manifests itself in organic beings as a chemical).

Other contradiction: Pretty much everything Kenobi says about Anakin being totally different to what happened in the prequels.

Other contradiction: Pretty much everything Kenobi says about Anakin being totally different to what happened in the prequels.
Exactly. It's like Lucas didn't go back and re-watch his older films to make sure the continuity matched up.

Exactly. It's like Lucas didn't go back and re-watch his older films to make sure the continuity matched up.
The whole thing about "Luke's father being a pilot" and all that, I just concluded that it was part of Obi Wan's story to avoid giving it away to Luke that his father was Darth Vader.

His aunt and uncle likely weren't told about Anakin's turn to the dark side or any of the gory details; it was just a cover story.

Obi Wan says to Vader in their Ep IV showdown, that he's only a Master of Evil... well, ok, look back at how Obi Wan treated Anakin. Held him back, put him down all the time, constantly belittling him, "Don't do anything without first consulting myself or the Council".

Obi Wan treated Anakin in Ep II like a child. And Anakin quite rightly got pissed off at Obi Wan and started losing his temper, and then drawing upon the Dark Side, especially when Shmi died and Anakin had no training as far as I can tell on how to control his feelings to make sure he doesn't use the Dark Side. So Obi Wan also mistrained him.

Obi Wan also said Anakin was dangerous in Ep I and advised Qui Gon not to train him.
Obi Wan, from the very get go, was against Anakin and should, going back to the first paragraph^, should have ensured the boy get the training that was needed... no wonder Ani ended up f*cked up, technically, his Father (Obi Wan) didn't want him and didn't nurture him in the correct way.

He was basically a chav with a Pitbull.

When we see Obi Wan in Ep IV, V and VI and then retrospectively look back at the rewrites, we realise Obi Wan has lied through his teeth to Luke about Anakin, and about Vader and then tries to use the "point of view" bullsh*t to get himself out of trouble.

A couple things can be thrown aside like when Obi Wan gives Luke Ani's lightsaber. "Your Father wanted you to have this when you were old enough but your Uncle wouldn't allow it". Another lie, but can be twisted into making Luke take an interest in The Force. But this is the only occasion that Obi Wan can be excused.

Lucas' rewriting of the backstory and ignoring continuity, he turned one of the most beloved characters in the saga, into a complete douche.

Obi Wan says to Vader in their Ep IV showdown, that he's only a Master of Evil... well, ok, look back at how Obi Wan treated Anakin. Held him back, put him down all the time, constantly belittling him, "Don't do anything without first consulting myself or the Council".

Obi Wan treated Anakin in Ep II like a child. And Anakin quite rightly got pissed off at Obi Wan and started losing his temper, and then drawing upon the Dark Side, especially when Shmi died and Anakin had no training as far as I can tell on how to control his feelings to make sure he doesn't use the Dark Side. So Obi Wan also mistrained him.

Obi Wan also said Anakin was dangerous in Ep I and advised Qui Gon not to train him.
Obi Wan, from the very get go, was against Anakin and should, going back to the first paragraph^, should have ensured the boy get the training that was needed... no wonder Ani ended up f*cked up, technically, his Father (Obi Wan) didn't want him and didn't nurture him in the correct way.

He was basically a chav with a Pitbull.

When we see Obi Wan in Ep IV, V and VI and then retrospectively look back at the rewrites, we realise Obi Wan has lied through his teeth to Luke about Anakin, and about Vader and then tries to use the "point of view" bullsh*t to get himself out of trouble.

A couple things can be thrown aside like when Obi Wan gives Luke Ani's lightsaber. "Your Father wanted you to have this when you were old enough but your Uncle wouldn't allow it". Another lie, but can be twisted into making Luke take an interest in The Force. But this is the only occasion that Obi Wan can be excused.

Lucas' rewriting of the backstory and ignoring continuity, he turned one of the most beloved characters in the saga, into a complete douche.
Those are a lot of interesting details that I hadn't even recalled, so it's cool that you have such an in depth knowledge of the stories in these movie.

Still I don't see anything too unbelievable - since about 10 years passed between Episode I and II there's no telling what kind of "training" Obi Wan put Anakin through, or how much was of his own personal preference or just the rules of the Jedi Counsel - I don't see any reason to assume "Obi Wan did something wrong" just because Anakin went bad.

Plus seeing as Anakin did go over to the Dark Side, then it looks like he was right to have been leery of Anakin.

The whole thing about "Luke's father being a pilot" and all that, I just concluded that it was part of Obi Wan's story to avoid giving it away to Luke that his father was Darth Vader.

His aunt and uncle likely weren't told about Anakin's turn to the dark side or any of the gory details; it was just a cover story.
I disagree with this, in A New Hope it's clear that that least his uncle knew very well what happened to Luke's father. After his aunt says he has too much of his father in him, the uncle says that's what I'm afraid of.

I disagree with this, in A New Hope it's clear that that least his uncle knew very well what happened to Luke's father. After his aunt says he has too much of his father in him, the uncle says that's what I'm afraid of.
I agree that that line is hard to reconcile - I'll just assume that "stories" of Anakin's conquests (ex. his destruction of the Trade Federation ship, his podrace victory, etc) had spread mouth-to-mouth and he was something of a local legend, but the Gorey details about him becoming a Sith and joining the Emperor had never been learned..

The other bad piece of writing with Obi Wan, and the whole Jedi Council...

Is summed up in the Battle Of The Fates.

"Anakin, my allegiance is to the Republic! TO DEMOCRACY!!!"

Ok... for a start Palpatine was voted into power as Chancellor and had stayed in Office under Democracy.
He is then voted into power as Emperor when he turns the Republic into a Galactic Empire, after the first assassination attempt is made on his life.
So, the first ting the Jedi do, is attempt another assassination on Palpatine.

Forget the fact he was secretly a Sith... the people voted... and the Jedi tried to arrest him and tried to assassinate him twice.

Bad writing.

I agree that that line is hard to reconcile - I'll just assume that "stories" of Anakin's conquests (ex. his destruction of the Trade Federation ship, his podrace victory, etc) had spread mouth-to-mouth and he was something of a local legend, but the Gorey details about him becoming a Sith and joining the Emperor had never been learned..
Yeah, but those stories make him sound like an awesome hero, not someone to be feared. I suppose maybe the uncle could have been thinking about Anakin slaughtering the sand people in episode II, but I still stand that he did know that Anakin and Vader were the same guy.

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I thought the Django Fett and Obi Wan fight in Attack of the Clones was pretty awesome.
You don't have to be the bad guy. You are the most talented, most interesting, and most extraordinary person in the universe. And you are capable of amazing things. Because you are the Special. And so am I. And so is everyone. -Emmet, The Lego Movie.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
The scene would've been a lot better if Anakin had screamed before dawning the Vader helm. I agree that that scream in the Vader voice felt very out of character.
It is kind of funny looking back at it, but I remained literally shrinking down a little in my seat when he did that. I thought that was just silly.

Worst Cosmic Wars ever.

I will only watch it another 14 times.

Today.
I've always appreciated this because it is true.

I was planning on re-watching all of them (in order) before it comes out this year.

Darth Maul is badass in my opinion.
Dark Anakin is nice
Ewan McGregor as young Obi-Wan is very good.

The Revenge Of The Sith is a very good flick.