50's HoF

Tools    

Here are the 13 nominations. The due date is April 1st. ENJOY!

Stage Fright (Alfred Hitchcock, 1950)
Nominated by Marlon Brando

Caged! (John Cromwell, 1950)
Nominated by Citizen Rules

Rashomon (Akira, Kurosawa, 1950)
Nominated by Nope1172

Ace in the Hole (Billy Wilder, 1951)
Nominated by Redwell

High Noon (Fred Zinnemann, 1952)
Nominated by Rauldc14

Why? I really enjoy Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly's performances. It's a film that's probably been seen by everyone, but should be seen again. The ending scene is also fantastic in my opinion.

Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa, 1952)
Nominated by Guaporense

This movie's greatness transcends what other movies even dream of achieving and it might be indeed the best piece of live action film ever made. It's a movie about the meaning of life: what a person's life is essentially about? How can one's life be fulfilling? Akira Kurosawa was perhaps the greatest live action filmmaker who ever lived and this is the best film he ever made. Some minor issues of the film concern it's pacing which might be too slow compared to contemporary movies but I personally find it more accessible than many 1950's Hollywood movies.

La Strada (Federico Fellini, 1954)
Nominated by Matt72582

Twenty-Four Eyes (Keisuke Kinoshita, 1954)
Nominated by Pussy Galore

Smiles of a Summer Night (Ingmar Bergman, 1955)
Nominated by Cricket

I think most of us associate director Ingmar Bergman with bleak, psychological movies. I gained a new appreciation of the director after watching this movie, a movie that is completely unlike his more well known films. I hope you all enjoy this wonderful film.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (Alfred Hitchcock, 1956)
Nominated by Friendly Mushroom!

Wild Strawberries (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
Nominated by Seanc

Witness for the Prosecution (Billy Wilder, 1958)
Nominated by Neiba

The Gazebo (George Marshall, 1959)
Nominated by GBGoodies

Hope there aren't any more problems. I think we had enough.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Two of the movies that I was considering nominating got nominated. Maybe it is a good thing that I didn't join because my nominations would've kept being turned away as someone else got to them first.

They were "High Noon" and "Smiles Of a Summer Night", by the way.

The ones that I have not seen:
Caged
Twenty-Four Eyes

I should try to watch those just because.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I was going to nominate The Man Who Knew To Much, I'm glad it's here! An interesting set of movies!!! A glorious HoF, I foresee!

Two of the movies that I was considering nominating got nominated. Maybe it is a good thing that I didn't join because my nominations would've kept being turned away as someone else got to them first.

They were "High Noon" and "Smiles Of a Summer Night", by the way.

The ones that I have not seen:
Caged
Twenty-Four Eyes

I should try to watch those just because.
I figured not many have seen that

I figured not many have seen that
I figure a lot of people haven't seen it either. You don't hear it mentioned that often when people talk about Bergman. It just happens to be my favorite film of his, though. And one of my favorites of the decade.

I figure a lot of people haven't seen it either. You don't hear it mentioned that often when people talk about Bergman. It just happens to be my favorite film of his, though. And one of my favorites of the decade.
Me too

So 4 directors had two films get nominated, that's odd.
Another movie that went through my mind would've given Hitchcock a third film in this HoF.

I have seen 6 of these. I considered nominating both Witness for the Prosecution and Ace In the Hole.

Stage Fright (Alfred Hitchcock, 1950)
Caged! (John Cromwell, 1950)
Ace in the Hole (Billy Wilder, 1951)
High Noon (Fred Zinnemann, 1952)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (Alfred Hitchcock, 1956)
Witness for the Prosecution (Billy Wilder, 1958)

I was going to nominate The Man Who Knew To Much, I'm glad it's here! An interesting set of movies!!! A glorious HoF, I foresee!
I just noticed this now. The Man Who Knew Too Much is the only colored film in this HoF.

Also the only three films I have seen are High Noon, TMWKTM and Rashomon.

I've seen 8 of them; the movies I haven't seen are Caged, Ace in the Hole, La Strada, Twenty-Four Eyes, and The Gazebo. 3 of those 5 were already on my watch list.

Oh, I didn't think about a write up for my movie, I see others did that so:

Caged is a Film Noir from 1950, a gritty, true-to-life film. The screen writer, Virgina Kellogg actually had her self locked up to experience prison life first hand. The movie plays like her personal diary of the corruption and abuse of a women's prison.

The film is very cinematic, making good use of high-key low-key lighting shots, with long ominous shadows and wide angle lenses which give the look of hopelessness to some of the prison shots.

Elanor Powell is excellent in this. She plays a frightened 19 year old girl who's sent to prison for being an accessory to a robbery that her husband committed. She received an Academy Best Actress nomination for her role. Academy nominations also for a supporting actresses Hope Emerson and the screen writer too.