DerekVinyard's Top 50 Best Movie Of All-Time

→ in
Tools    

I don't understand how all you people think that Taxi Driver will win the seventies list over The Godfather, in my opinion it's just too much a great and all round admired movie for it to happen, but who knows.

By far the best film on this list so far! Favorites come and go, but if there is one film that I'm sure will ALWAYS be one of my all-time favorites, no matter what (and by this I mean top three), that film is Taxi Driver.

I can't see it winning the 70s list if I'm honest, as it seems it's one of those divisive films around here. For me Jaws still takes it.

Two great films there, Derek. I have Taxi Driver higher, but it's good to see it here and, you're right, it's Scorsese's best. I had The Lives Of Others on my millennium list. I've only seen it twice, but I really liked it. It's one of the films that may, possibly, make it onto my 100 if/when I see it enough times.

15. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Milos Forman

''They, uh, was givin' me 10,000 watts a day, you know, and I'm hot to trot. The next woman who takes me out is gonna light up like a pinball machine and pay off in silver dollars''

- Brilliant , powerful and astounding, this movie is incredibly effective on every plan and the casting is awesome especially from Jack Nicholson who give's is 2nd best performance of all-time in my opinion, he is such an amazing actor. The storyline is simple but great and the ending is just the conclusion of an epic masterpiece of the 70's. Louise Fletcher as ''Nurse Ratched'' is also great , shocking and powerful. A truly perfect movie.

Soundtrack :

Love One Flew. Perhaps Nicholson's best performance - almost certainly, in fact.

I really hope Taxi Driver wins the 70s list as well. Much prefer it to The Godfather.

Love One Flew. Perhaps Nicholson's best performance - almost certainly, in fact.

I really hope Taxi Driver wins the 70s list as well. Much prefer it to The Godfather.
I prefer his performance in The Shining but it's a defendable point

Seems like there's more Taxi fans on this site than Godfather. It will be close. Chinatown and Jaws too.
Godfather is my personal favorite.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I love Cuckoo's Nest and I still haven't seen The Lives Of Others.

You should nominate it for the next HOF, so I have to get around to watching it.

15. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Milos Forman

''They, uh, was givin' me 10,000 watts a day, you know, and I'm hot to trot. The next woman who takes me out is gonna light up like a pinball machine and pay off in silver dollars''

- Brilliant , powerful and astounding, this movie is incredibly effective on every plan and the casting is awesome especially from Jack Nicholson who give's is 2nd best performance of all-time in my opinion, he is such an amazing actor. The storyline is simple but great and the ending is just the conclusion of an epic masterpiece of the 70's. Louise Fletcher as ''Nurse Ratched'' is also great , shocking and powerful. A truly perfect movie.

Soundtrack :

I remember my parents watching this when it first came on TV.... I didnt even know who Jack Nicholson was at the time.... boy times have changed.... the first film I seen with Nicholson in it that I remembered him as an actor was "The Shining". He is an amazing actor.

I love Cuckoo's Nest and I still haven't seen The Lives Of Others.

You should nominate it for the next HOF, so I have to get around to watching it.
I Highly recommend to you The Lives Of Others if you like German movie ! and If you didn't see it The Wave is an awesome movie.

14. Trainspotting (1996)
Danny Boyle

''Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a ****ing big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin can openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of ****ing fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the **** you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing ****ing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ****ed-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life . . . But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?''

- Awesome movie about Drugs ,Life and choice. Deeply the best morals in a movie about drugs after Requiem For A Dream. Danny Boyle is a great directors and this movie is his best without a doubt , Ewan Mcgregor , Ewen Bremner, Jonny Lee Miller and Kevin McKidd are amazing in their respective role and the storyline is brilliant and many scenes are shocking and memorable. The cinematography and the atmosphere are a great factor once again in this movie. The Ending is very nice and satisfying for me as a big fan of this kind of movie. Highly Recommended.

Soundtrack :