Actors and actresses only known for one role...

Tools    

Maurice Gosfield as Pvt. Doberman in The Phil Silvers Shoe You'll Never Get Rich ( Sgt. Bilko).

He has only 9 credits on the IMDB for film and TV appearances.

Though Anthony Perkins played in such movies as Fear Strikes Out and Friendly Persuasion he was pretty much typecast after Psycho in the type of roles he would get.

There were several Psycho sequels with him in it, but without the master's touch ( Hitchcock) they were pretty dull.

He's known for The Saint as well, although it's not a film role.
I never actually thought of it until you posted it, but you're absolutely right about Roger Moore. He's played varied roles in movies and on television but I think he is probably best known as 007.

Though Anthony Perkins played in such movies as Fear Strikes Out and Friendly Persuasion he was pretty much typecast after Psycho in the type of roles he would get.
Don't forget The Trial! He was great in that one too.

There were several Psycho sequels with him in it, but without the master's touch ( Hitchcock) they were pretty dull.
I would agree that despite an impressive career and variety of film work, Anthony Perkins will always be associated with the role of Norman Bates.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Ok these are known for others, but they're mainly known in these roles. I'd say a good percentage of people would know only these roles...

Just because an actor is BEST known for a specific role, it doesn't mean that they are ONLY known for that role.

Michael J Fox as Marty McFly
or Alex P. Keaton from "Family Ties", plus "Spin City", and a bunch of other movies.

Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley
or as Dana Barrett in "Ghostbusters", plus "Galaxy Quest", "Dave", and a bunch of other movies.

Zachary Quinto as Spock
or as Sylar from "Heroes"

Christopher Reeve as Superman
or in a bunch of other movies, including "Deathtrap", "Somewhere in Time" and "Noises Off..."

Ralph Macchio as Daniel LaRusso
or as Johnny from "The Outsiders", and the defendant in "My Cousin Vinny"

Peter Weller for RoboCop
or as Buckaroo Banzai

The actors mentioned have all made a bunch of movies, but they're best known for a specific role. It doesn't mean that they're only known for one role. Many people know and love them in other roles too.

How about actors who basically only made one movie, (that anyone ever heard of or saw), and then disappeared like Peter Ostrum in "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory", or Mark Lester in "Oliver!"?

Marlon Wayans in Requiem For A Dream
Ryan Reynolds in Buried
Mark Hamill in Star Wars
Micheal Clarke Duncan in The Green Mile
Joel Edgerton in Warrior
Ashton Kutcher in The Butterfly Effect

I'm afraid I don't agree with all of those, Derek.

Marlon Wayans in Requiem For A Dream
Knew him from Scary Movie first, to be honest.

Ryan Reynolds in Buried
Van Wilder, a whole bunch of bad romantic comedies that often appear on TV and he was Green Lantern. He also married Scarlett Johansson AND Blake Lively!

Mark Hamill in Star Wars
Agreed, although he has done a lot of notable voice characters.

Micheal Clarke Duncan in The Green Mile
He played a couple of supporting characters in quite a few well known films (Armageddon and Sin City for instance), so I don't think he's completely valid, but it's a defendable choice.

Joel Edgerton in Warrior
I know the guy from The Great Gatsby personally.

Ashton Kutcher in The Butterfly Effect
He's known for MUCH more than that. A whole bunch of stupid, but well known comedies and That '70s Show for instance! He's also the replacement of Charlie Sheen in 2 1/2 Men and like Honeykid says, he was also known as Demi Moore's youthful husband!

He's known for MUCH more than that. A whole bunch of stupid, but well known comedies and That '70s Show for instance! He's also the replacement of Charlie Sheen in 2 1/2 Men and like Honeykid says, he was also known as Demi Moore's youthful husband!
Neither of those tv shows were well known or, until recently in the case of 2 and a half men, shown on popular channels. Even now it's on the second run channel and not a main one. Unless you're a film fan or liked Dude Where's My Car? he's Mr. Demi Moore.

Neither of those tv shows were well known or, until recently in the case of 2 and a half men, shown on popular channels. Even now it's on the second run channel and not a main one. Unless you're a film fan or liked Dude Where's My Car? he's Mr. Demi Moore.
I was about to ask what country you have been in and then I remembered, oh yeah, not this one.

I'm afraid I don't agree with all of those, Derek.

Knew him from Scary Movie first, to be honest.

Van Wilder, a whole bunch of bad romantic comedies that often appear on TV and he was Green Lantern. He also married Scarlett Johansson AND Blake Lively!

Agreed, although he has done a lot of notable voice characters.

He played a couple of supporting characters in quite a few well known films (Armageddon and Sin City for instance), so I don't think he's completely valid, but it's a defendable choice.

I know the guy from The Great Gatsby personally.

-Marlon Wayans i very don't like Scary Movie and Requiem For A Dream is in my top 10 of all time so ..

-Ryan Reynolds :I didn't saw Van Wilder and Green Lantern scuse me but it's a bunch of crap and we talking about role right ?? not relationship ...

-Micheal Clarke Duncan : I completely forget Sin City and i'm not the biggest fan of Armageddon ....

-Joel Edgerton : I didn't see The Great Gatsby but Warrior is an awesome film !

- I didn't listen to ''That '70s Show'' ... i don't know why we are actually talking about Demi Moore for Ashton Kutcher because in my opinion the only good movie in his filmography is ''The Butterfly Effect''

- I didn't listen to ''That '70s Show'' ... i don't know why we are actually talking about Demi Moore for Ashton Kutcher because in my opinion the only good movie in his filmography is ''The Butterfly Effect''
Sorry, that's me. It's because that's pretty much what he's known for over here. He's just the guy who was with Demi Moore who, apparently, also acted. But not in films you'd probably seen.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
maybe ... but I really enjoy The Butterfly Effect
I also enjoyed Butterfly Effect.