Behind the Candelabra, anyone seen it?

Tools    

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.

Just saw this story of Liberace and his boy-toy Scott Thorson on HBO, starring Michael Douglas and Matt Damon.

Being an HBO "event", I was sort of hoping for a "fabulous" and over the top stylized experience, but they treated it pretty squarely like a normal TV drama. Damon and Douglas did very well, but all in all, just ok.

Haven't seen it yet but apparently it's Soderbourgh's last movie.
He says that after every movie he makes, don't worry.

"My whole attitude is, "You should govern like you aren't going to get a second term." I make every movie like it's the last one. "If this was the last movie, what decision would I make?" That's how I make my decisions." - Steven Soderbergh

Isn't it on VOD already?

Well I just saw it, and IMO it wasnt typical. Mostly because of the performances thrown out by all involved. Especially Michael Douglas who absolutely killed it playing Liberace. I'll even go so far as to say this is Michael Douglas most successful endeavor as an actor. Liberace was completely sweet, effeminate, soft, and any straight actor would have to be incredibly centered, competent, and committed to pull it off. Reminded me of Anthony Hopkins portrayal of Nixon. 5 minutes in and I completely forgot it was Hopkins.

Sometimes the passionate affection displayed by Damon & Douglas made me howl and turn away. Picture Michael Douglas tongue snaking out like Miley Cyrus', homing in on Damons mouth. Well no not that bad. After this I think it'll be safe for me to finally see Brokeback Mountain.

The story was honest, sad, touching, hilarious, and heavy. Long movie that seemed short, and was very interesting throughout. This is one of Soderberghs good ones. Give it a watch!

Two other TV movies have been made about Liberace so I really thought this subject was kind of covered but I've heard nothing but glowing reviews about this movie and am looking forward to seeing it. The fact that Michael Douglas won an Emmy didn't exactly quell my curiosity either.