Some of your favorites of 2013

Tools    

silver linings playbook.

cloud atlas
had it's flaws but was very ambitious. I enjoyed it.

I like the croods movie from disney.

I loved Side Effects. The first hour of that film should be preserved in cinematic history. If Soderbergh had kept his commentary on psychiatry, and psychiatric meds -- it may have been one of the best and most profound films on the subject.

1) Side Effects
2) Place Beyond the Pines
3) Mud
4) Upstream Color

Wreck It Ralph is a 2012 movie, but did you mean movies that came out this year or just films that we watched for the first time this year? If it's the latter, my pick would be Forrest Gump. Just watched it for the first time about three months ago, and it was amazing.
So far, the films of 2013 I've seen have been John Dies at the End, Texas Chainsaw 3D, Bullet to the Head, Iron Man 3, Evil Dead, Oz: The Great and Powerful, and Olympus Has Fallen.
Out of those, the ones I would buy on Blu-Ray are Evil Dead, Iron Man 3, and Olympus Has Fallen. The rest either sucked or were merely okay.
Also, I can't wait to see Man of Steel and Carrie - since so many people are talking about films that haven't come out yet for some reason.

In response to one of the last comments, Mud is another one I really want to see. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

^ I've got that Upstream Colour coming through soon, heard good things about it.
It's available on Demand but given the sound design of the movie, you should get a surround sound setup . Don't watch it on a laptop.. it loses its effect. It's very weird though. When I saw it theaters, the guy behind me got up and yelled 'What the hell?!?!" during one of the more bizarre transitions.

In response to one of the last comments, Mud is another one I really want to see. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
It's a good film but I found some of its plot devices a little too extreme. The performances are great. There's a great running gag in the film about how Mud (Mcconaughey) can't take off his shirt.

I still think Nichols' magnum opus is "Take Shelter"

Friends Don't Let Friends Pay Movie Prices for Rentals
Iron Man 3
The Internship

I just saw my third movie of 2013 and I would probably rank the three I've seen as followed:

1. Side Effects (just watched it, awesome film!)
2. The Great Gatsby
3. Gangster Squad

I'll try to watch more 2013 movies this year than I watched 2012 movies last year. Hopefully there are some gems among them.

Great Gatsby

sunny, 2011 korean movie.

It's available on Demand but given the sound design of the movie, you should get a surround sound setup . Don't watch it on a laptop.. it loses its effect. It's very weird though. When I saw it theaters, the guy behind me got up and yelled 'What the hell?!?!" during one of the more bizarre transitions.
I've got it on Blu-ray and watching it on a television screen. Don't watch films on laptops/computers or on demand.

None, nada, zilch! None of the movies this year was great!

Haven't watched too many. But will give Side Effects the edge.

I somehow thought silver linings playbook would be a dull romantic comedy at first, maybe because of the cast.. But I did end up liking it. Predictable maybe and typical, but still good.

I somehow thought silver linings playbook would be a dull romantic comedy at first, maybe because of the cast.. But I did end up liking it. Predictable maybe and typical, but still good.
Silver Linings Playbook is a 2012 movie..

My favourite 2013 movie would be The Last Stand. It had plenty of action, it was entertaining and hilarious. Really enjoyed it. I have seen Side Effects, but it didn't impress me.

Same old stuff.... the movie was nothing special that it got the rave reviews. It was a typical run-of-the-mill romantic comedy!