Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?: Arrow of the Orion (2019)

Its a spin-off movie from a franchise, so one should be more familiar with it than I was. I just had read some of the manga adaptation of the story (there is the original novels, the manga adaptation, and the anime TV show adaptation), but I didn't remember much of it. Yet, the movie was a self contained story so it was ok to watch it as a standalone movie.

Still, this movie was pretty decently animated, but the rest of it was of poor quality. I guess I am getting too old to enjoy these generic isekai anime titles.

Walk on the Wild Side - (1962)

Interesting that this was made while the Hayes Code was still in effect - much of the action takes place in a Louisiana brothel, and involves characters that are gay, so there is much tip-toeing around those subject matters. Dove Linkhorn (Laurence Harvey) chose his dying father over the love of his life, but once his pa is dead he goes looking for her, and when he finds her he's unaware of her secret - that she's been a prostitute since the two broke up. Not only that, but the madam of the brothel she works at, Jo (Barbara Stanwyck) has a "special relationship" with her, and will stop at nothing to see she stays right where she is. This film also features a young Jane Fonda as a girl Linkhorn finds and befriends on the way to Louisiana, only to find out how rotten she is - the two depart acrimoniously, but seem to be fated to meet again. A pretty interesting movie considering some of the performers involved (Capucine plays Linkhorn's girl, Hallie, and Anne Baxter has a role as a latino café owner that falls for Linkhorn) - despite production troubles it turns out okay, although the film's last scene feels missing, and the film ends with the front page of a newspaper hurriedly wrapping up loose ends. 6/10
It's funny. At the time, I couldn't wait to see this movie because I was completely knocked out by Jimmy Smith's Hammond organ jazz version of "Walk on the Wild Side", which got a lot of radio play despite it being jazz and no lyrics.

So the movie ended up being a let down for me. It had all the right elements in a way, but it simply didn't hang together for me. Perhaps they were trying too hard.

I forgot the opening line.

By http://impawards.com/1987/wall_street.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=16069040

Wall Street - (1987)

My - this was really good! I'd never really gotten into Wall Street before. It came out around the time when my young instinct leaned more towards the likes of Predator and Die Hard, and as such was always smeared with the "about money? Oh! how boring!" brush. Following it properly last night, I found that it was about a subject I now care deeply about - the way the ultra-rich make their money, and how it's rarely in a strictly legal sense, and how they all assume that's how you play the game - you break as many rules and laws as you have to and simply don't get caught. Seeing Bud Fox (Charlie Sheen) get caught up in this world - one where he takes all the risks and where his mentor then screws him over for a better deal - was interesting, and before he got caught up in a really wild lifestyle, the younger Sheen could really act. Michael Douglas is also at his best here. I'm not a big fan of Oliver Stone as a person - but during the 80s and early 90s he was making some great movies. This is even more relevant today than it was back then.

8/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=28993791

It Started With Eve - (1941)

I'm kind of not being fair to It Started With Eve, because I watched it late last night and during the second half my eyes kept closing for longer and longer rests - not the best way to be when you're trying to enjoy a comedy. The film manages to get the greatest benefit from the wonderful Charles Laughton, as the old Jonathan Reynolds - a man on his death bed. His son Johnny Jnr. (Robert Cummings) can't find his fiancé in time so his father can meet her, so he grabs a random woman off the street and brings her to his bedside - and before you know it Reynolds is recovering - so the subterfuge has to continue and continue...meanwhile, the two are falling in love. This seems to have been what was a typical Cary Grant/Katherine Hepburn type of deal - and for me Robert Cummings simply didn't have the comedic strength to carry the film when it wasn't focused on Laughton, who is always the greatest thing in any movie he's in. I was tired though - Oh so tired, so perhaps I should watch this again one day.

6/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Loved this, probably my second favorite Aronofsky flick. The first one is Mother!.

Dredd (Pete Travis, 2012)

Pretty good, solid action fun. I didn't expect to like this but found it decent. Better than The Raid, I felt more invested in the characters, especially Olivia Thilby who is great.
I really liked it too. Especially the acting

Dredd (Pete Travis, 2012)

Pretty good, solid action fun. I didn't expect to like this but found it decent. Better than The Raid, I felt more invested in the characters, especially Olivia Thilby who is great.

A film that deserved a sequel, but it may be better that we didn't see it drag on so long as to become tiresome.

THE EYES OF MY MOTHER
(2016, Pesce)

"Loneliness can do strange things to the mind."

Set in an isolated farm, The Eyes of My Mother follows Francisca (Kika Magalhães), a young woman that finds herself immersed in loneliness. The remoteness of her life, only accompanied by her father and mother, is hit by tragedy which only drives her further into stranger and darker things.

This film came highly recommended by @ThatDarnMKS, and it really didn't disappoint. Being the debut from director/writer Nicolas Pesce only made it more impressive. He has a way to patiently set the mood and create simple but disturbing images, but not necessarily with what he shows but rather what he implies. There really isn't much gore, but the implication of the things that happen is way worse.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Oh wow, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls has one of the grooviest soundtracks I've ever heard.

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.moviegoods.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=10359012

Paint Your Wagon - (1969)

No expense was spared making Paint Your Wagon, but oh boy, they could have spared us by making it an hour or so shorter. The fact that it was a musical that ran on Broadway and the West End before this adaptation spared Paramount a "What were they thinking??" but still. What were they thinking?? I don't mind watching this occasionally though - call it a guilty pleasure. Lee Marvin's version of "Wand'rin' Star" was actually a big hit here in Australia, and it hit No 1 in the U.K. - it is by far the best song in the film, though I might have liked "Gold Fever" a lot more if it wasn't being sung by Clint Eastwood - man, he mangles it so bad. I don't know why they just didn't dub him and be done with it. This Musical Western is crazy enough to be entertaining, with it's polygamy, hard drinkin', carousing, homoerotic moments and attempts at big showtunes. I'm giving it a score I think it deserves - but that doesn't mean I don't kind of love the thing. I also really dig that moment in the Simpsons where Homer rents it on VHS thinking it's a straight cowboy picture - only to see Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef (who wasn't in this) and Lee Marvin break out into song.

5/10

I'm dreading the godawful letdown this looks like being...
I saw it tonight and liked it a lot.

'A Thousand and One' (2023)

Directed by A.V. Rockwell.

Very watchable drama focused on Inez (Teyana Taylor) who kidnaps her son from the foster care system. A.V. Rockwell wrote and directed it and does an extremely good job - considering I think it's her first feature. But Teyana Taylor is the stand out - she gives a mesmerizing performance as a mum on the edge who will 'go to war' for her son, Terry.

The story begins in 1994 in New York and the city becomes this sort of sprawling malignant background character as we shift into 2001 then 2005, and with it, we see the changes and struggles that Inez has to overcome just to stay on an even keel and try to make sure Terry doesn't make the same mistakes she did. Some scenes are incredibly moving, mostly down to the superb work of Teyana Taylor.

The film is not without flaws, but for such an ambitious film early in Rockwell's career, she pulls it off well.

JACK-JACK ATTACK
(2005, Bird)

"Mrs. Parr, I can totally handle *anything* this baby can dish out."

This short film was filmed at the same time as The Incredibles, and the basic idea of it was supposed to be included in the film. However, it was eventually cut and expanded into a short film that was included in the DVD. It takes place within the same timeline of the climax of the film as Kari takes care of Jack-Jack while the Parr's are fighting Syndrome and his robot.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Excellent movie. The original was good too. Jake G. is exceptionally good.

Very good movie. Just wish the writer & director Paul Schrader had given at least some credit to Ingmar Bergman for lifting several plot points from his movie Winter Light.