I need recommendations for "new" movies to rent

Tools    

I watched an action/martial arts movie last night which was very good called Ip Man under the Foreign section which usuaully isn't my genre. However, this had amazing choreography and was shot in a great time period in the 30's and 40's when the Japanese occupied China.

I watched an action/martial arts movie last night which was very good called Ip Man under the Foreign section which usuaully isn't my genre. However, this had amazing choreography and was shot in a great time period in the 30's and 40's when the Japanese occupied China.
Even though he's banned, Ip Man is a good movie. I'm very curious about the sequel that China already has.

Thanx these are all on my Netflix Que

El Mariachi Trilogy (El Mariachi, Desperado, and Once Upon a Time in Mexico)

In my opinion, it's one of the most underrated trilogies in modern film. If you're a fan of Robert Rodriguez and you haven't seen them, please do yourself a favor and give em a watch. All of them actually just came out on Blu-ray

Was Banderas actually good in those?

The El Mariachi trilogy was definitely worth seeing. Very underrated, and the acting was phenomenal. Banderas accurately portrays a "killer" with a moral conscience and a need for revenge that is turned upside down with the representation of his inner self. Salma Hayak, in Desperado, is a gorgeous counterpart. Highly recommend.

Check out Fight Club, American Psycho and A Clockwork Orange. I'd say they're pretty off-beat.

Also the japanese horror film Audition.
If you want off-beat that's also not good, go with these. Or if you want to feel artsy and fit in with the "film" crowd.

If you want off-beat that's also not good, go with these. Or if you want to feel artsy and fit in with the "film" crowd.
Wow a cheap shot.

The film crowd? Sure they're a little artsy but I'd say they're mainstream movies, I'm not going obscure or anything.

Wow a cheap shot.

The film crowd? Sure they're a little artsy but I'd say they're mainstream movies, I'm not going obscure or anything.
It's not a cheap shot, if it weren't for the film crowd you wouldn't hear about those movies anymore that's just a fact. Highly overrated and dependent on the controversy. I'm still amazed that people's minds are blown by the twist in Fight Club.

I don't think I care about the twist ending in Fight Club, the whole execution of the film is entertaining. Tyler Durden is a very interesting character & has lots of memorable quotes.

The movies has all the essential elements to make it a cult hit, I wouldn't have cared if the ending showed Tyler as a Terminator from the future. The movie would have still been good.

It's not a cheap shot, if it weren't for the film crowd you wouldn't hear about those movies anymore that's just a fact. Highly overrated and dependent on the controversy. I'm still amazed that people's minds are blown by the twist in Fight Club.
I completely disagree about Fight Club. That's a film that found its audience on video/dvd in spite of the critics and the general cinema going audience (who didn't go because it wasn't well/extensively advertised and only recieved mixed reviews) and found a life of its own afterwards from word of mouth. In the same way that The Shawshank Redemption did or most foreign (language) films have to.)

*I'm assuming that "the film crowd" are people somewhere between a bit more of a film fan than you and those pretentious, arty types that coo over weird looking paintings in art galleries, yes?*

My feelings about the film probably fall somewhere between those who love it and, what I suspect are, your own. Surprisingly, given the source, I feel pretty similar as this guy.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Stor...102483,00.html

Considering that Kubrick himself banned A Clockwork Orange from being shown in my country, my opinion of how the film is/would be remember here is a little skewed to say the least.

Animal Kingdom. This is the best Crime Drama I have seen in a while. A female character in power (Jacki Weaver's character) definitely offers a different dynamic from the more typical crime family. Such great character development too. Very impressed with David Michôd in his feature film debut. It would be tough for Jacki Weaver to win an Oscar for this role given her opposition, but I hope she at least gets the nomination, as she did at the Golden Globes.

Justified, the first season. Sort of a contemporary cowboy action series. Originally aired on FX. As far as I know, they're signed on for second season. It's Adapted from Elmore Leonard's stories Pronto, Riding the Rap, & Fire in the Hole. Timothy Olyphant is great as Raylan Givens. Gotta love the no ******** approach to justice.

Virginity Hit. I originally found out about this movie from some posters on the subway advertising a "hotline for virgins." That makes me sound really cool. Anyways, long story short, I think this movie is hilarious. Reviews were not great, but you have to keep in mind what you're dealing with: a teenage sex comedy. It's not supposed to win Oscars, it's supposed to be stupid and hilarious - which it is. Produced by Will Ferrell and Adam Mckay. Also has an AMAZING cameo by Rock N Roll GREAT and former Creed frontman Scott Stapp. I **** you not.

"Live forever or die trying"
machete is like kill bill only with a guy instead of a girl...lol

*I'm assuming that "the film crowd" are people somewhere between a bit more of a film fan than you and those pretentious, arty types that coo over weird looking paintings in art galleries, yes?*
Um, no, I don't know what you mean by "more of a film fan" than me because I love movies. I solely mean those pretentious artsy douches. And it has nothing to do with critics at all. If anything it's the opposite, it's people that like movies because "the internet" tells them it's cool. Tyler Durden is annoying and the equivalent of todays Ed Hardy wearing, UFC watching crowd. In other words, not cool.

"Live forever or die trying"
Girl With A Dragon Tattoo is a lot better then i thought it would be, good mystery and action movie.

Um, no, I don't know what you mean by "more of a film fan" than me because I love movies. I solely mean those pretentious artsy douches. And it has nothing to do with critics at all. If anything it's the opposite, it's people that like movies because "the internet" tells them it's cool. Tyler Durden is annoying and the equivalent of todays Ed Hardy wearing, UFC watching crowd. In other words, not cool.
So now "the film crowd" are what? People who watch films but aren't into film? I'm not trying to be obtuse. I genuinely don't understand who we're talking about and my understanding of who it is seems to've swung from one extreme to another with your latest explaination.

The way I'm understanding it, "The Film Crowd" would be people who only watch the movies other people say are "the best movie ever." Rather than having their opinions influenced by critics, their opinions are influenced by people on message boards, such as these. So really, "The Movie Crowd" are not movie lovers, but people who want to be thought of as "cool," so they make sure to like the "cool" movies.

Nowhere Boy. The John Lennon biopic by Sam Taylor-Wood starring Aaron Johnson (Kick Ass) and Kristin Scott Thomas. Very cool look at the early life of John Lennon and his struggles with teenage angst. A great idea for a film - very well acted and directed. Looking forward to seeing more from both Taylor-Wood and Aaron Johnson after watching this film.

Red Hill. I really enjoy Ryan Kwanten as Jason Stackhouse on True Blood and I have been very interested to see him in another role outside of that character. Here was my opportunity. He did not disappoint with his performance. In fact I'd say he steals the show. As Capone from AICN said "Kwanten is utterly badass." Don't let the fact that this is not a well know film fool you, it's an excellent suspense/thriller.