Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Tools    

I'd do a GB 3, that follows up 30 odd years after GB2 with a new cast.

Neil Patrick Harris
Seth Rogan
Emma Stone
Alfre Woodard
Rosario Dawson
Woody Harrelson
Cuba Gooding Jr.

Danny Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson in small roles, kinda like an office job and they don't do much apart from work within the building itself.
At the end of the film, they go out with the rest of the cast to fight the main bad guy.

What about Adam Sandler, Omni?
If Adam Sandler was in Ghostbusters, Rodent would have hung himself or shot up a preschool.

Welcome to the human race...
Dammit Tongo! Why the hell were you not the casting exec on this flick?!?!?!? I would pay double to that movie!
Today on "Sarcastic or Sincere?"...

But seriously, for all the flak that the female cast gets, I'm not sure that I could even think of a satisfactory collection of male actors to replace them. Not really fond of most of the suggestions that have been posted so far, at least.

Today on "Sarcastic or Sincere?"...

But seriously, for all the flak that the female cast gets, I'm not sure that I could even think of a satisfactory collection of male actors to replace them. Not really fond of most of the suggestions that have been posted so far, at least.
Chevy Chase? (granted he's pretty old now, but...)

I wonder what Ghostbusters 3 would have been like if it had been made in the '90s with all the original guys playing the Ghostbusters again. I'll need to visit an alternate universe and see how it turned out.

I wonder what Ghostbusters 3 would have been like if it had been made in the '90s with all the original guys playing the Ghostbusters again. I'll need to visit an alternate universe and see how it turned out.
Let us know how it goes. I'm banking on "like Ghostbusters 2, but worse".

Serious question - has there ever been a good comedy threequel?
Uhhhhmmmm... *brings up movie list*

Ya got me. Not unless I count series that haven't always been comedies (Evil Dead) or I broaden the definition of "comedy movie".

Let us know how it goes. I'm banking on "like Ghostbusters 2, but worse".
Well, I just got back. Here's what happened:

It was released in November 1998, just off the heels of Halloween, but ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The movie was called Ghostbusters: The Third Dimension.

Haley Joel Osment played Sigourney Weaver's son, Oscar. You know, the baby from Ghostbusters 2. The film reminded me a lot of The Sixth Sense. Oscar is a child psychic who, because of what happened to Dana Barrett (his mom) in Ghostbusters when she was possessed by a ghost, it lingered in her system and caused Oscar to be born with special powers (it hadn't shown up yet in Ghostbusters 2 since he was a baby). Oscar is partially stuck in a "third dimension." This gives him all kinds of supernatural powers, like being psychic, reading people's thoughts, seeing the future, moving objects with telekinesis, and seeing all kinds of ghosts that people can't even see in the dimension humans exist in. The Ghostbusters are stunned to learn all this from him, and it explains why places that were once haunted are STILL haunted even after the Ghostbusters have visited there to clean it up.... they didn't get all the "hidden" ghosts in the extra dimension, the ones they couldn't see. The Ghostbusters were getting a lot of bad reviews and publicity as "failures" because places they'd ghostbust weren't getting completely ghostbusted. But Oscar's powers helped them fix that.

Sigourney Weaver's character, Dana, and Bill Murray's character, Peter, were married. Peter is trying to bond with Oscar. He and the Ghostbusters want to train him to become a Ghostbuster when he's older. Dan Aykroyd's character, Ray, along with Peter, take Oscar with them on a ghostbusting mission inside Oscar's school, which is haunted. Something goes terribly wrong and Oscar is almost killed. Egon Spengler gets hella mad at them. Sigourney Weaver freaks out. She fights with Bill Murray. Oscar (Haley Joel) hears every word of it. He starts hating on Bill Murray. He decides to run away from home. He goes to stay with Winston (that black guy - I can't even remember his real name - Ernie Hudson). Winston calls Peter and Dana to let them know Oscar is okay. When Oscar finds out Peter's on his way to pick him up, Oscar runs away again. This time, a gang of old, dead, New York mobster ghosts find him and kidnap him. These mobster ghosts want to use Oscar's supernatural powers to take them into the third dimension where they will be able to gain control over the universe, over all of the other dimensions. They plan on owning and having power over existence itself. Not just the city, anymore -- not even just the world -- EVERYTHING. They want it all.

The Ghostbusters follow them into the third dimension. The mobster ghosts get destroyed. The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man actually crosses over from the past (1984) to 1998 and stomps through New York again, but this time it's possessed by the lead mobster/godfather character, who's trying to scare everybody into doing what he says by bringing back the Stay Puft man to terrorize them once again. When he blows up and gets defeated, there's spaghetti everywhere, because he's Italian.

It started off really good, but it got ludicrous.

OH! Janine and Louis Tully were married and they had two girls who were psychic twins. Because of what happened to Louis in Ghostbusters, just like Dana, his kids turned out to have special powers, too. They were also kidnapped by the mobster ghosts.

I give it

Interesting movie. It felt more like the original Ghostbusters in tone, but there was still a touch of Ghostbusters 2 there, and there was a definitely '90s vibe going on.

Celebrity cameos: Tom Hanks (as himself), Ellen DeGeneres (Oscar's teacher), Whoopi Goldberg (cab driver), Robert De Niro (a living relative of one of the mobster ghosts), Richard Simmons (he has a VHS tape out called Sweatin' to the Supernatural -- yes, it's exercising with overweight ghosts -- one of them is Slimer!), and Sarah Michelle Gellar (she babysits Janine and Louis' twin girls).

Serious question - has there ever been a good comedy threequel?
Army of Darkness totally counts as a comedy, I've always liked the third Austin Powers the most (even though I know most would disagree), and Vacation Christmas and Harold and Kumar Christmas are both solid third movies. But you're right, it's a very small number.

Welcome to the human race...
Army of Darkness totally counts as a comedy, I've always liked the third Austin Powers the most (even though I know most would disagree), and Vacation Christmas and Harold and Kumar Christmas are both solid third movies. But you're right, it's a very small number.
As much as I love Army of Darkness, I didn't consider it because I still think of Evil Dead as a primarily "horror" series where the comic elements were practically unintentional at first before being deliberated escalated with each new installment. I'd personally disagree with your other suggestions, though I know that people tend to like Christmas Vacation more than the original. The Austin Powers movies manage to stay fairly consistent (albeit not especially great by any metric), whereas A Harold and Kumar Christmas is a major blight on a pair of otherwise decent comedies.

The World's End (Cornetto trilogy)
Again, another movie that I do like, but it's in even grayer territory than Army of Darkness because all three Cornetto films are technically original stories that just so happen to share the same creators and running gags. By that logic, I might as well say that Spy is a threequel to Bridesmaids and The Heat.

I'd personally disagree with your other suggestions, though I know that people tend to like Christmas Vacation more than the original.
I forgot about Vacation. I'd say, unless you didn't like it at all, Christmas Vacation counts.

Again, another movie that I do like, but it's in even grayer territory than Army of Darkness because all three Cornetto films are technically original stories that just so happen to share the same creators and running gags. By that logic, I might as well say that Spy is a threequel to Bridesmaids and The Heat.
The only difference is Edgar Wright has said himself it's a trilogy.