The best sequel ever made...

Tools    

Dunno about The Two Towers. I think that's actually the lesser film in the trilogy, although I'll concede that it has probably the most impressive battle scene. I think Return of the King makes a strong case to be better than The Fellowship of the Ring. I still favour the latter, but only just.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Fay Grim
Gremlins 2: The New Batch

which is not to say that all of these are necessarily better than the first movies in the series, though some of them are.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I don't know if this would be a sequel or not. Hunt for Red October came before it but featured Alec Baldwin in the Jack Ryan role.

I do think Clear and Present Danger was better than Patriot Games with Harrison Ford in the role.

I'll abide by Tongo's ruling on the matter.

Even though Tom Clancy much preffered Alec Baldwin as Jack Ryan over Harrison Ford I did like Patriot Games more than Hunt For Red October. Honestly if Ford was Ryan in HFRO I believe imo it would have made the film better. Ford was just one of the best leading men in alot of movie roles, and even moreso than Alec Baldwin today though the opportunities arent there as much.

Cant decide if Clear And Present Danger was better than Patriot Games. Probably not because only in an efficient government would the president be held so accountable. Hard to difinitively say which movie is better than in the case of all three as they all were very equal in quality. Like trying to say which James Bond movie is better than the others.

The Godfather Part 2

Even though Tom Clancy much preffered Alec Baldwin as Jack Ryan over Harrison Ford I did like Patriot Games more than Hunt For Red October. Honestly if Ford was Ryan in HFRO I believe imo it would have made the film better. Ford was just one of the best leading men in alot of movie roles, and even moreso than Alec Baldwin today though the opportunities arent there as much.

Cant decide if Clear And Present Danger was better than Patriot Games. Probably not because only in an efficient government would the president be held so accountable. Hard to difinitively say which movie is better than in the case of all three as they all were very equal in quality. Like trying to say which James Bond movie is better than the others.
yeah i considered that as well. The thing is though at the time that say From Russia with Love was released, i don't know if anyone thought this would turn into a multiple series of films.

My opinion on the best sequels ever made, not neccessarily better than the originals (though some are), but just sequels that I think are excellent films in their own right (I won't count the Lord of the Rings sequels because I look at that as one gigantic movie):

The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Superman II
Rocky II
Batman Returns
Star Trek: First Contact
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan..good call here Mikey. I confess to not being a fan of the original show when i saw this at the theatres originally (summer of 82'), so didn't know the back story (which once you see the star trek tv episode is rather brilliant).

If the internet was around then, It would have been commen knowledge, but in any event, it stands alone remarkably well.

the dark knight

I don't think there such a thing as "the best sequel".

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me exceeds the first in every way. While International Man of Mystery relied on the Bond spoof gags and making fun of the British, the second let Myers develop his own characters, and really focus on Dr. Evil, who is far more entertaining than Austin. And of course we got Mini-me and Fat Bastard to round out the forces of evil comedy. Of course it's completely juvenile and silly with plenty of poop jokes, but in that category it excels.

It's very difficult and rare for sequels to eclipse the original. That's why Terminator 2 is so rare. It's one of the few examples that disprove the rule.

There's sequels that are very good but it's extremely rare for one to be better than the first.

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
I just watched the greatest sequel ever at a midnight screening last night! (I've actually seen it a million times, but this was my first viewing on the big screen!)

Army of Darkness (1992)

"
Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?" - Ash

"And our credo: "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words."

'Now I swear. The next one of you primates even touches me....'

Lol, I'll have to agree that 'Army of Darkness' is an AWESOME sequel. I remember watching it in the theater as a kid when it first came out and instantly fell in love with it.

This might not be the best sequel ever made, but I think 'Predator 2' is a worthy sequel and sometimes a little more entertaining than the original. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Predator, but there are too many cool scenes in the sequel to dismiss it as a cash in(imo).

And I also thought 'Desperado' was better than 'El Mariachi'.

The Color of Money was an excellent follow-up to The Hustler