Movies that change you

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
What movies do you reckon have changed you (or hell, even society in general) the most? Do you reckon movies can actually change how people think and act?

I keep catching myself wondering how many chains of thought in my head or opinions i hold have been prompted or embedded thanks to movies, and how much i act on them. (and should i really be taking decision guidance from film-makers? The hypnotic nodding head says yes, but who knows )

Like, the film Baraka that i saw recently [visual/ambient film which contrasts the pace of modern cities with chilled "old-school" communities/ways of life etc] Now it's quite an effective film (for the first hour), and i already believe some things have gone a bit too fast paced. But i'm not stepping out of the city am i? I'm still here tapping on me computer.

The Matrix seems to espouse a certain: "get up off your arse and question the world around you"ness, but does it actually change the viewer's acts?

So i guess my question to y'all is: What movies changed ya? (and how much do you reckon films can communicate new ideas/emotional "takes" on situations etc into your head [more than just reinforce ones that you have already]

Something like that

I'm an Irish Leprechaun
I would have to say "The Green Mile". I don't know why, it just seemed to make an impact on me when I was watching it.

One movie that changed me, is 'Rabbit Proof Fence' it made me think how easy and good my life was as a child compared to the girls in this wonderful movie.

I'm an Irish Leprechaun
Originally Posted by nebbit
One movie that changed me, is 'Rabbit Proof Fence' it made me think how easy and good my life was as a child compared to the girls in this wonderful movie.
I haven't seen that yet

I must become Caligari..!
Dude, Wheres my car made me very very Angry.
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

I'm an Irish Leprechaun
Originally Posted by Hondo333
Dude, Wheres my car made me very very Angry.
What made you feel angry when watching this?

Originally Posted by sphericthor
He probably thought it was crap!

No movie has ever affected me, I like to think of myself as an emotionless robot... well, maybe not a robot.

I'm an Irish Leprechaun
Originally Posted by grindie
He probably thought it was crap!

No movie has ever affected me, I like to think of myself as an emotionless robot... well, maybe not a robot.
Grindie I'm sure at least one movie has effected you in some form, like your favourite series of movies - A Nightmare on Elm Street - I'm sure that these have made an impact in some form

I'm an Irish Leprechaun
It is a must see.
I'll watch it, whenever it comes on TV

Yeah, rabbit proof fence is supposed to be good (it's the aussie one isn't it? Some attention-defecit-victims told me it was dull, but sounds worth a look to me for sure) (i'm half aussie anyway so should educate meself on my own backyard really)

heheh, and i've heard "dude where's my car" defines the american milleu in aposite terms. Is it not so

Still, Nebbit, that's what i'm talking about. Emotional scenes or even sustained movie "tones" that rang a bell and made us reevaluate our own experiences. But i'm still wondering whether great-big-ponderous ideas and philosophies can be integrated/translated into someone's mindset just by watchin a movie?

ps. sphericthor - love your signature. Big believer in that myself. Where'd you scalp it from?

I must become Caligari..!
Originally Posted by Sphericthor
Many things, The fact that i spend money on this, How there are thousands of people with great ideas for meaningfull films that cant get them made but millions of dollars can be spent to make this ect ect

Originally Posted by Sphericthor
I'll watch it, whenever it comes on TV
I think you will be waiting for a long time

Originally Posted by Hondo333
Many things, The fact that i spend money on this, How there are thousands of people with great ideas for meaningfull films that cant get them made but millions of dollars can be spent to make this ect ect
oh there's a million and one reasons why that's the case: but the best ones are
a) big business seems to be more interested in tried and tested formulas
b) stealing ideas is so easy (and then lazily slapping them into a tried and tested format is easier still)
c) holding down a creative position is quite hard (i.e. u must b creative from now on, with no blocks, to earn your bread and butter)..soooooo, what happens? Unfortunately, lots of people break into positions of influence thru hard work and having good (or stolen) ideas, and then get lazy and just keep on thieving/re-working, and leaving the rest of us burning-brains free to send in our work if we want them to claim it as their own. Lovely world in't it.

ray of hope?

All the new digital medias might bring about a removal of the middle-men (oooooh, how welcome that might be), altho equally it might bring about the end of high-rewards for proven artisits (piracy etc) and high quality levels (tho i dare say the bredth of opinion would bring a new "quality" angle all of it's own, variety )

[quote=Golgot]Yeah, rabbit proof fence is supposed to be good (it's the aussie one isn't it? Some attention-defecit-victims told me it was dull, but sounds worth a look to me for sure) (i'm half aussie anyway so should educate meself on my own backyard really)

The people who thought it was dull well what can I say. That's the trouble with real life, it moves slowly, nothing like Hollywood.

So if you are half Aussie which half and where does that half come from?

That is one beautiful movie, Nebbit. I like movies and books that are about strong girls, since I have a 12 year old daughter. It's good to have our daughters to see and read about girls who face adversity and triumph, instead of girls like Lizzy Mcguire (she is sweet, I admit), who only really worry about fashion above all else. Anyhoo...

Alive

Certainly made me appreciate humanity in all its splendor. Just about nothing can conquer its spirit or desire for life.

Dances With Wolves

I hate all of us white men.

Dick

Blond Bimbo's that are fine and funny? Ohohhohhhh....
sdlfkjghruefhksdjv (sorry, wiping the drool off my keyboard)

The Blair Witch Project

I won't be walking into a scary looking house, while lost in the woods, in the middle of the night, anywhere near Maryland.

'Tis all for now.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

[quote=nebbit] So if you are half Aussie which half and where does that half come from? [/Q]

My little mother, of good danish/norweigan scottish/english extraction, was born in Sydney. The rest of me's Welsh (and i suspect, "gypsy". Others suspect, sheep)

That reminds me of a joke with a twist actually:

In a 19th Century house an officious houseowner is berating his maid. He thinks she's been stealing his whiskey. The maid replies "Oh no sir, I would never do anything wrong, I'm a good English girl."

(There's three possible "punchlines" - you'll see why after)

a) The houseowner says, "It's your Scotch extraction I'm worried about"

b) The houseowner said "Well if you steal any more whiskey I'll fire you"

c) The maid suddenly cries "Ah, a mouse" and jumps into the houseowner's lap

The first one is joke (honest). The other two are answers that people will always choose as the funniest ending, if they're in one of two strange mental states. Those states are: either to have the left hemisphere of your brain "knocked out" (temporarily), or t'other. It's "knocked" out" with some form of electric shock i believe - to help people suffering from epilepsy (apparently fits normally start in one hemisphere, but if they transfer to the other that person has a complete full-on-collapse fit)

Basically, people whose left-hemisphere is still operating will always choose answer (b) as the funniest answer. People running on their right hemi only will choose answer (c)

What I'm trying to get at is that we need both the hemis, with their diverse and distinct functions, operating together, to pick up on so much stuff that we percieve as human/important etc. ...erm, so if u watch a movie with your left eye do you understand it more absurdly? um, no. I think i just wanted to share that strange phenomenon really. And to say: subliminal intake can still effect our higher level thoughts.

Do you reckon stirring music tied to a certain scene could make you change your future decisions/opinions (about parallel/similar subjects when you come across them later)?? Did the Braveheart speech make you more likely to stand up to your bank manager??

Keep it coming. I want to know where you were all touched

(ps. i'm not getting u to do my research for a thesis or anything, or for my next rant in the park - just intrested )

I am having a nervous breakdance

As most of you know, I take Film Studies at the uni and we had this silent film class. I thought it all was interesting from a history point of view but when it came to viewing some of the films, I fell asleep most of the times.

But I had no problems staying awake when we saw this one which was so different and modern compared to the rest of the silent films we saw. I was so amazed that the soviet montage filmmakers could produce so action-packed movies in the 20's allready. And the way they edited their films was as revolutionary as the message of this film. Hitchcock watched and learned and the technique is still totally useful today. A great, great film that made me appreciate silent films much more.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

That looks like a good one. As my old art teacher used to say: "you lot didn't invent drugs and imagination. We've had all that for years"

I got a similar effect from watching Metropolis (it amazed me that that kind of experimental but effective montage was going on, when you look at some of the dull tried-and-tested techniques of some modern glossy movies) [it sort of helped my anttention-span cope that the place where i saw it did some vj-ing as well and put down loads of dope DnB which really fitted, but it wasn't necessary really ) Long live the pre-hollywood domination explorations! (hmm, strange battle cry)

I'm not old, you're just 12.
They're hardly art, but two movies that had a profound effect on me as a snotty young brat were Edward Scissorhands and Heathers.

Edward Scissorhands portrayed more eloquently than any other film I'd ever seen the pain of being an outsider in a conformist, image conscious world. I felt like Tim Burton was speaking to me directly with this movie.

Heathers, on the other hand, is just purely nasty fun on the same basic theme, and it shaped my sense of humor for years to come. I never would have survived High School without the F*ck Off attitude that this movie helped me find.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Off the top of my head, I can't really think of any films that had a obvious/profound effect on me. However, I distinctly remember GoodFellas being basically the movie that sparked my interest in film. 2001:A Space Odyssey has probably made the most lasting impressions upon me and my ideals, however.