Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Public Enemy (1931)

+

Different old rise and fall gangster film, same result. Fun and easy to watch with some great scenes. James Cagney is a blast every minute he's on screen. Not sure why Jean Harlowe was a sex symbol though.

Annie (1982)

A great bit of escapism, don't even like musicals, but this won me over. A simple joy. 9.5

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The "heist" part is always boring for me.. I don't need to see every screw tightened
XDDDDDDDDDDDD

That's exactly what makes the film. The silent heist scene is genius and inspired i.e. Melville.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…

A Simple Favor (2018)

Paul Feig is a real brotherfu**er.

Hell's Angels (1930)

A little dated at times but still a very good movie from Howard Hughes. The aerial sequences are well done and exciting, but of course not worth the lives of 4 stunt pilots. The drama on the ground was strong as well, and this was the first time I enjoyed a Jean Harlow performance. I think Wings is better.

This might just do nobody any good.

Yeah, I know it’s only a step removed from supporting furries.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…

Yeah, I know it’s only a step removed from supporting furries.

That's cute. If I hadn't seen the roster I would have no clue about that one. Baby is a nice touch.

Tag (2018)

Maybe nothing special but I enjoyed every minute of it. Every so often I need a modern comedy to break things up and this did the trick.

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

L.A. Confidential (1997)

Outrage (2010)

Great film, all the Kitano ingredients are here, violence (sometimes a bit shuddering), and plotting (the very name of it, trying to start a minor disagreement for turf). Some said this was TKs return to what he knew but, as a man of parts, he brings a fresh look at the corruption involved in organised crime and a great eye for the minutae. 9/10 (watch the follow up soon).

Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool (2017)

Surprisingly this fine film didn’t get much notice from the Academy Award crowd, nor did it do well at the box office. Part of the reason might be that the film retained its silly name from the book written by Peter Turner, the great Gloria Grahame’s lover for the last year or two of her life. Another drawback is that many younger viewers are not aware of Gloria Grahame’s career, nor her heft in the films of the ‘40s and ‘50s, so the subject matter did not have the glitz of a story about a Marilyn Monroe or a Jayne Mansfield.

However the film was a well turned project which had many more positives than its few negatives. Chiefly the stunning performance by Annette Bening as the eccentric, sensuous but faded screen icon tops the film’s attributes. She went for all the bananas in this part, and succeeded nicely. There was also a solid performance of a tricky part depicting Peter Turner by Jamie Bell, a Brit actor known for Billy Elliot and Fantastic Four. The rest of the cast --namely Julie Waters as Turner’s mother, and Vanessa Redgrave as Grahame’s mother-- were first rate, and by themselves worth a viewing.

Most of the audience who are well aware of Miss Grahame also knew of her slow slide from fame, her many marriages, and her cancer affliction which ultimately caused her death. Some are aware of her happy liason with a minor Brit actor, and how he and she interacted for the short remainder of her life.

But we know going in that this picture is to be a two hanky movie, and in that regard it did not disappoint. The production got a little frisky with many non-linear time sequences which did not particularly either help or hurt the story, but did cause some perplexity. The first half of the film was fairly dazzling, then settled into an interesting albeit over representation of Grahame’s time at Turner’s home.

Despite a few glitches this is an engaging film about a snapshot near the end of a great star’s life.

Doc’s rating: 7/10
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	imageedit_2_8181992430.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	48302  

Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool (2017)

Doc’s rating: 7/10
Glad you liked it, I didn't warm up to as much as you did, but cool that you enjoyed it. So I have to ask what are your top Gloria Grahame movies? As you probably know from my review thread, I'm watching all of her films.

Snooze factor rating = Zz

Dull film, surprised I managed to stay awake. Yet to see the original French film.

Trailer for remake:

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933)

Another great 30's musical, and that Camo of all people gave me some great decade recommendations that'll influence my countdown list. I wasn't crazy about all of the musical numbers since it's not my thing, but they're all quite grand and I did love the last one. The cast is great and I was especially surprised by Dick Powell. He's one talented Dick.

Glad you liked it, I didn't warm up to as much as you did, but cool that you enjoyed it. So I have to ask what are your top Gloria Grahame movies? As you probably know from my review thread, I'm watching all of her films.
I liked every noir that she was in. Although some of the films she was in were not necessarily my favorites, but I loved her parts and performances in them.

A few of my favorites: Crossfire, A Woman's Secret, In a Lonely Place, Sudden Fear, The Big Heat, and Naked Alibi. She was good in some non-noirs, such as The Man Who Never Was.

I'll guess that I've seen most of her films, and I'm a huge fan. That's why I'm dying to see that The Glass Wall. But it'll happen when it happens...

~Doc