Best and Worst Sports Picture

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by mecurdius
remember the titans is the best

summer catch is the worst
Remember the Titans isn't the best, but its good...summer catch, well you hit that one on the nose.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

WITHOUT LIMITS with Billy Crudup as Steve PreFontaine--the runner from Oregon. I knew I forgot something. Donald Sutherland is in this one, the guy who founded NIKE.

I'm going to say Varisty Blues. I see a few of you disagree with me. But I played highschool football, and I completely related to that movie. Everyone I know who played highschool football related to that movie. Personally I didn't think it would be good, I thought it would be some stupid teen movie. But I thought it was very good.

The Natural is also good.

Rock God
i agree with those who say "well what is a sports movie?" at first when you say that, i picture all the crappy movies i've seen about "outcast-loser" teams who eventually achieve their dreams and come out on top. those movies are a dime a dozen. they're not that great. but then i read holden's post about raging bull. that's a sports movie! or isn't it? i dunno, so i guess if you could qualify that as a sports movie, that would be it. the worst sports movie would be either remember the titans, varsity blues, the mighty whatevers, the replacements, the sandlot, little big leauge, the big green, field of dreams, that thing with madonna and rosie o'donnell, in fact there aren't that many good sports movies at all. none of you mentioned rocky, one one of the greatest movies of all time. for shame...

Well, if Raging Bull isn't a 'Sports Movie', then neither is Pride of the Yankees (1942) or The Babe Ruth Story (1948) or Without Limits (1998) or Fear Strikes Out (1957) or Cobb (1994) or Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956) or any other biopic that centers on a Sports figure. They all put the character, their psychology and world away from the spotlight, in as much or sometimes more of a focus than the actual recreation of sporting career highlights. Just because Scorsese's Film does it with less sentimentality, more intensity, artistry and just, well...just BETTER than any of the others, that doesn't somehow disqualify it as a 'Sports Movie'? Or at least it shouldn't.

It's like those of you who want to discount it are taking points off because it's too good and too complete a film. That should elevate it, not eliminate it.

But hey, make your own definitions. If 'Sports Movie' for you means the plot has to end with the results of a sporting event, then, as I said, you should take out ALL biopics from consideration, not just Raging Bull. Personally, I like a film that somehow bends or even breaks the conventions of the genre. But maybe I'm just a different breed of cat?

Meow.

And I've always thought Rocky was overrated crowd-pleasing candy. Compared to Raging Bull, they aren't even in the same ring. For me, I didn't forget about Rocky, I just don't consider it an especially fine Sports movie.

But there's room for everything and all tastes - and thank the Movie Gods for that!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Nobody has mentioned The Babe(John Goodman). I have never seen that movie all the way through, but the parts I have seen were good. Sandlot was a good sports movie(well sorta). Field of Dreams is a good'n, so is League of Their Own, Rocky, nobody has mentioned Gladiator, that was a sport was it not?, Space Jam...JUST KIDDING. Those are a few that aren't bad, but sports is something that you can do good or do bad...there is no median to this. It's a lot like that with any subject for a movie.

I tend to agree. In my earlier post I was trying to get across that Raging Bull was a film that defied pigeon-holing; because that is the purpose of genre classification. This certainly doesn't make it any less worthy in this debate. If anything It's my favourite movie (including the element of sport!), of all time. Kids Return, that I mentioned earlier isn't clearly defined as a sports movie but because of its boxing element I felt it was worthy of this topic.

Any movie that plays with conventions should be praised for the attempt if not the execution. While the Hollywood product becomes more mundane, subversion somes as a welcome relief.

Best sports picture... The Big Lebowski (That's right)
Worst sports picture... For Love of the Game (?)
There're lots of bad ones.
I think a sports picture can be anything with a sport as a major concept thematically or in plot
For love of the Game was really shitty but there're probably worse.
I just can't think of them right now.
Raging Bull, Rocky... both good.
Remember the Titans... above average at best.

Hummm, dont really care about sports pics, I like Shakespeare more, hahaha! Hear that Sades? I did see pride of the Yankees though, that was pretty sad. I am the luckiest guy on the face of the earth. See, I remember.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
RAGING BULL is the my fav I think. De Niro is never bad (even when in awful movies which he is quite often) and Joe Pesci rocks.

Rocky 4 is pretty awful...

Too many good ones to pick the best and too many bad ones to pick the worst. I'll narrow it down to just football movies for the heck of it.

Best: Rudy

Worst: The Longest Yard (2005)

Most underrated: The Program

Most overrated: The Blind Side

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
It's "Brian's Song". Always. At least that what the internet sez. I have never seen it, but apparently it is life altering.

I can't think of many sports movies that differentiate themselves. They often seem to follow the same formula. I'll vote "Rudy", cuz Goonies never say die.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Best: The Champ (1979), Bang the Drum Slowly (1973), The Rookie (2002), and Moneyball (2011)

Worst: I don't remember the name of it, but it was something about a kid who had a great pitching arm, and he ended up pitching in the Major League.

I've got quite a few favorites, including:
Pride of the Yankees (1942)
The Stratton Story (1949)
The Natural (1984)
Brian's Song (1971)
and one which never gets a mention in these favorite sports movie lists, and that is Something For Joey (1977) a TV-movie about Penn State football player John Cappelletti and his kid brother, who has cancer. I mean, if Brian's Song, about a grown man with cancer, will make this grown man cry, then this one just floored me. Cappelletti is in the running for the Heisman Trophy, and he and his whole family rally around his brother all through his cancer treatments. They are very stoic and everybody keeps a stiff upper lip...until the end, when they jerk the emotional rug out from under you. Not trying to spoil it, but one person who has been keeping his emotions in check for the entire movie finally loses it and you lose it alongside him. Great movie.

Worst: I don't really have a personal worst sports movie, or else I just haven't seen it yet. I'm real specific when it comes to watching certain sports flicks and I usually lean toward baseball films as my favorites (although NFL football is my favorite sport).

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've got quite a few favorites, including:
Pride of the Yankees (1942)
The Stratton Story (1949)
The Natural (1984)
Brian's Song (1971)
and one which never gets a mention in these favorite sports movie lists, and that is Something For Joey (1977) a TV-movie about Penn State football player John Cappelletti and his kid brother, who has cancer. I mean, if Brian's Song, about a grown man with cancer, will make this grown man cry, then this one just floored me. Cappelletti is in the running for the Heisman Trophy, and he and his whole family rally around his brother all through his cancer treatments. They are very stoic and everybody keeps a stiff upper lip...until the end, when they jerk the emotional rug out from under you. Not trying to spoil it, but one person who has been keeping his emotions in check for the entire movie finally loses it and you lose it alongside him. Great movie.

Worst: I don't really have a personal worst sports movie, or else I just haven't seen it yet. I'm real specific when it comes to watching certain sports flicks and I usually lean toward baseball films as my favorites (although NFL football is my favorite sport).

I love Something For Joey. That's another great sports movie. It features both Marc Singer and Steve Guttenberg very early in their careers. (I think it may even have been Steve Guttenberg's debut.)

Make a better place

It's got to be ROCKY

Not a fan of the sport, but i really loved The Bad News Bears (1976). Also the first three Rocky's, and Breaking Away. Even though i'm a sports fan, i'm heavily underwatched in this. The worst for me that i can think of right now was Goal .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goal!_%28film%29

Best are :
Friday Night Lights
The Fighter
Forever Strong (2008)
Gang Gridiron
Coach Carter
We Are Marshall
Invincible

Worst:
Fighting (2009)