Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Hateful Eight

1st viewing was ruined by a baby in the screening (who the **** brings a baby to a Tarantino movie!?) - complained & got free tickets.

2nd viewing was quiet and allowed me to enjoy the film. Whilst it's definitely too long, there's so much I love about it - most of all being the score. Especially in the opening shot. Oh my god, love it.

Care for some gopher?
Inside Out (Pete Docter/Ronnie del Carmen, 2015) -

Sherrybaby (2006)

The Good Dinosaur (2015)

there will be some spoilers
Pixar used to pitch one perfect idea after another, but after a decade of animated dominance they showed their first sign of slowing down. Thankfully, it was only a small pitstop on their road to more success and they kept on releasing amazing movies after that. Because, movie like 'Cars' was merely a scratch in the paint of a beautiful piece of art, at least until the follow up came along, which caused complete engine failure and Pixar has never recovered since... that is, until 'Inside Out' turned everything upside down and resurrected the studio for good. But Pixar had to find a way to pass their peak somehow, which of course is a doomed project from the very beginning; in this case, the beginning of man. 'The Good Dinosaur' may not match its predecessor, but maybe it will leave its mark on an already fantastic filmography even so?

When I got my first glimpse at the next Pixar project, through pictures and handpicked film clips, the expection held and ultimate reaction received was about the same as those dinosaurs giving a damn about that humongous meteor, which just flew straight past them. I doubt I have to make it much clearer than this, when I say that my expections for the actual movie were rather low; but hopefully the movie will rise above that and not below, since that would leave Pixar extinct for good. Thankfully, 'The Good Dinosaur' is much better than expected, but unfortunately not far and beyond its titular description - "Good". This film has a story that feels kind of fragmented and loosely fumbled forward, which is no surprise given the fact that this movie had 7 different writers credited. Well, Pixar films do tend to have a lot of writers attached, which, like a parting river, causes things to flow in a few different directions; but maybe it isn't exactly the different directions but moreso the actual water in those rivers, which is too poor to take in? But shouldn't it all come from the same source, that is Pixar Animation Studios? Yes, perhaps, but rivers do run dry once in a while or turn into a waterfalls only to take one hell of a drop. To some degree, 'The Good Dinosaur' is that movie, though hankfully, the magical Pixar fountain can still be felt throughout - only not all the time or even often enough.*

Where the film finds its footing though, is within the visual storytelling. Some of the more superior scenes are mostly free from dialogue and combined with the beautiful background animation, this dino-movie dares to rise above stone age material and deliver something far from dull and dreary. In particular there is one scene, involving branches and mud, which sticks out from the bunch as an emotional and engaging element to the story. Where the film fails though, is when it suddenly don't know what to do or what kind of film to be, which result in a nausiating nose dive directly into a supposedly kiddie-friendly acid trip of some sort. Of course, there is also the wise dinosaur and his wild friends, the flying hamsters and the bug being beheaded by the small cave man; a scene, which might be the nastiest and most inappropiate ever in a Pixar flick. Yes, despite the uneven blend of photorealistic backgrounds and cartoonish character animation, this movie is pretty damn dark even when hinting at harmlessness.

Everything leads to a pretty satisfying intense final act, which is ultimately a little too predictable as is the whole story when all comes down to it. The themes and morals feels so outdated by now and the movie isn't exactly trying to hide this fact. The photorealistic enviroment is ever so beautiful though, full of detail and shots of sunlight, which might lead one to wonder how it would look if Emmanuel Lubezki ever shot an animated film... kind of like this I would imagine. Anyways, the film is actually well directed and is overall a solid animated film. I guess it has enough visible flaws for me to dig through for hours, but sometimes the surface of things is enough to enjoy - especially when it is surfaced entertainment from Pixar. I give this one a pass, but I hope for something much better in the future...

-

Funny Games U.S. (2007) - Michael Haneke

- One of the most boring experience of my entire life.... I didn't know why I finish this movie at the first place but that was one hell of a painful experience. This movie is stupid as hell and has no goal at all. The two ''vilain psychopath'' of the movie look like Backstreet Boys members and both of them are terrible actors. Tim Roth and Naomi Watts (two actors I like usually) are both awful. The Logic of this movie is no logic at all.... at least the ending is some sort of cool but it doesn'T change the fact that the movie was a piece of garbage. The ''Breaking the fourth-wall'' scenes were so d*mb and totally sh*tty. In Conclusion, save yourself time and money don't watch that crap.

I have to return some videotapes...
I Origins (2014) - Mike Cahill

This is a very interesting film because its idea I feel is one that is rarely been touched on before thus making it fairly original. The way it uses science and religion is fascinating to watch as Mike Cahill challenges the viewer to pay attention to the large themes he is juggling throughout the films plot. Michael Pitt works very well in this film alongside the other lead Astrid Frisbey who I haven't seen before, but I bought her playing this character for the most part. There is a very big problem with this film though and that is some of the ways it connects all these ideas that Cahill has thought up in his mind. The film very sloppily connects all the main plot points, so it is hard for the viewer to figure out how Cahill leaped to the next point in the story. There are also a lot of cheesy scenes between characters where the writting is just very sub-par to put it best. Cahill's ideas are solid, but sadly the film is not and it falls short of all of the potential it had in this fascinating concept.

+

Master of My Domain
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (Reynolds, 1991)

Honestly, there is no reason to watch this film unless you are a huge fan of Kevin Costner or have a bad taste in guilty pleasures. Film is about as pointless as my pencils. Alan Rickman stole every scene he was in, but that's pretty much it. Nothing to see here, disperse.

+

The Big Miracle starring John Krasinski & Drew Barrymore.

I give it 6.6/10. Decent movie, would recommend for a chill night in. Light hearted.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
In Conclusion, save yourself time and money don't watch that crap.
Generally, you're right. Don't watch this one, watch the original instead.

Oh, Derek, you're so mainstream you watch American remakes instead of originals.

Care for some gopher?
The Night of the Hunter (Charles Laughton, 1955) -
+

Very disappointing!

The two ''vilain psychopath'' of the movie are terrible actors.
I haven't seen the US Version of Funny Games, so I can't judge based on the performances there - but Michael Pitt (one of the villains) is far from a terrible actor imo. His performances in Hannibal Season 2 as Mason Verger were unbelievably brilliant. Love the guy.

I haven't seen the US Version of Funny Games, so I can't judge based on the performances there - but Michael Pitt (one of the villains) is far from a terrible actor imo. His performances in Hannibal Season 2 as Mason Verger were unbelievably brilliant. Love the guy.
didn't watch Hannibal so I can't judge... but in Funny Game U.S. he is awful.

Generally, you're right. Don't watch this one, watch the original instead.

Oh, Derek, you're so mainstream you watch American remakes instead of originals.
both are from Michael Haneke no? So it's the same style and the same storyline as the original...

Some expanded thought on The Lobster?
The Lobster

"The Lobster" is social science fiction with comedy and romance elements. First half of the film is totally unpredictable and weirdly awesome. During second half it slows down in frequency of mind blowing wtf surprises, but it remains cohesive within established rules of it's world. "The Lobster" direction brilliantly plays into the weirdness with revelatory string music and firm feminine vocal narration. The film touches on social, political, personal, psychological, war themes and many other themes that I couldn't fully absorb because of never ending surprises and mind bending story twist presented matter of factly and as self evident common sense. I don't foresee this movie becoming boring in the near future.