Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The Cowboys
(Mark Rydell, 1972)

Always considered a great movie star but not necessarily a great actor, I've been very impressed with some of Wayne's later performances. Unlike modern aging icons like DeNiro and Pacino, who did their best work early in their careers but are now stuck in autopilot mode, The Duke seemed to discover a new reservoir of talent during the twilight of his career. He never ceased to be a tough son of a bitch, but there's a vulnerability in some of these later performances, most likely birthed from the knowledge of his own mortality, that makes these later roles feel more human than the invincible heroes he traditionally played. The Shootist was a perfect swan song, but The Cowboys would've been equally fitting. It's easy to view this film, where Wayne reluctantly takes a group of schoolboys on a grueling cattle drive, as Wayne passing on his legacy to a younger generation. The Cowboys is an antithesis to the revisionist westerns that were popular at the time. It celebrates the western myth and the old way of life. The script is full of the tough, terse, straight-shooting dialogue that I enjoy so much in westerns. The story is compelling. The film is full of excitement and adventure with a little humor sprinkled in along the way. The stunning cinematography captures the exquisite beauty of the wide-open landscapes. I remember reading an interview with Bruce Dern a couple of years where he said that his villainous turn in The Cowboys nearly ruined his career. Even though that interview spoiled a key moment in the film, that scene remained just as shocking to me when I watched it unfold. There are some things you just don't do The Duke, and this is one of them. For the brief remainder of the film things are subdued and a bit too rushed. Dern is excellent, though. He's not a villain who intimidates you with his strength or prowess, but through the blackness of his soul -- the type of man who will stoop to any depths to achieve what he wants. Roscoe Lee Brown also gives a very good performance in a supporting role as the mirthful cook. The Cowboys is a terrific film. Even people who aren't typically fans of the genre should be able to enjoy this one.

[/center]
Never heard of this, so I'll add it to my watchlist now and hope to get round to it in the future
Glad to see the love given to The Cowboys, spaulding!! I fully agree that John Wayne seemed to have more to offer in his later years and this movie is a sterling example. Saw this as a kid and was instantly enamored and remained so through out my life.

And Daniel, seeing your list of moves of Wayne you do enjoy, this could, very well, be added to that list

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Poltergeist II: The Other Side (1986)
+

Not a patch on the original and tbh quite simply reeks of 'follow-up cash-in' for me. That's not to say the film doesn't have it's moments, some of the effects are still good and a few moments do almost capture the spirit of the original. Generally though, the ancillary characters either aren't strong enough or not used to full effect with Tangina (Zelda Rubinstein) pretty much relegated to a bit part/cameo, Craig T Nelson who again plays the father veers way too far into 'ham and cheese' territory this time, the storyline feels as if it were cobbled together without a lot of real interest and the climax fails to deliver much of anything except a sense of saccharine apathy.

Got a two-fer of Sydney Lumet flicks from two ends of the emotional spectrum.

The First,

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead
+ A movie filled with an undeniable swirling gloom for everyone involved in this story of something going wrong and only getting so much worse. Everyone; not only hit the mark with their characters, but with the interaction between one another as well. The nuances played out of underlying tension between family members spoke volumes in body language and facial expressions.

Find Me Guilty
+ An amusing, endearing, though at times, "Schmaltzy", inspired by true life, trail movie.
If I had not seen Lumet's name on this one I would have had no idea it was the same director; they are that much apart in mood and approach.

Le Circle Rouge French 1970
This was almost a Silent Film, in so far as there was no musical soundtrack whatsoever. Which I rather liked. It was definitely a GOOD CALL when making this jewelry heist film.
I had been wanting to see this since seeing it mentioned in the 70's List and so very glad I finally did.

(REWATCH) Snowpiercer
Seen a lot of hate for this, but I gotta say, I will have to be the minority here and say; I really enjoy this movie. I even watched this after reading the criticisms to see if they would make any changes to how I saw this movie. They have their merit, but I cannot say I feel that way. I enjoyed the story, the actors, the claustrophobic fight scenes. . . the whole movie from caboose to engine. Literally.

I have to return some videotapes.

I'm still shook at this. So depressing and it doesn't seem to get much better. I didn't agree with the ending, but if someone could explain more that'd be nice. Great film, really enjoyed it but it doesn't seem like one I really ever want to rewatch. It's just too saddening.

I didn't agree with the ending, but if someone could explain more that'd be nice.
Your going to have to explain to me what you mean by agree. You can spoiler wrap or PM if you want.

Your going to have to explain to me what you mean by agree. You can spoiler wrap or PM if you want.
PMed you.

It IS a VERY sad watch and even harder to re-watch because of that. I have to wait a very long time before going back to watching it again. Great, great movie.

(REWATCH) Snowpiercer
Seen a lot of hate for this, but I gotta say, I will have to be the minority here and say; I really enjoy this movie. I even watched this after reading the criticisms to see if they would make any changes to how I saw this movie. They have their merit, but I cannot say I feel that way. I enjoyed the story, the actors, the claustrophobic fight scenes. . . the whole movie from caboose to engine. Literally.
I also liked it. It's not among the best science fiction movies ever made but it was an enjoyable experience overall.

Bad Meat (2011)

+

Some wayward teens get sent to a middle of nowhere facility to learn discipline, but the counselors are sicker than they are. The first half of the movie is devoted to various mistreatments between the two groups, then after some "bad meat" is consumed, people are turned into raging flesh-eaters. This seemed to me to be a Cabin Fever ripoff. There are some cool things like a golden shower, animal dissection, strap-on play, and a whole lot of vomit. Unfortunately, it's not that sick. The big problem is that the movie ends suddenly, and the reason it ends suddenly is because the douchebags who made it ran out of money. Still, it's an ok watch for fans of lowbrow horror.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Can you send to me too? Anyways, I think it is one of the best dark stories and best acting films I've seen. Brilliantly directed too.

Can you send to me too? Anyways, I think it is one of the best dark stories and best acting films I've seen. Brilliantly directed too.
I wanna know too! Just post it here dammit!

The Twelve Monkeys

Really interesting, pretty well elaborated and I don't like giving 3/5 but I didn't like the end. This kinds of movies that end in the begining aren't specially my favorites, I would prefer that they change the future by stopping the bad guy but it didn't. It's like those movies where they kill someone so they show the starting situation until they show how and why he died. This kinds remind me to that movie, I don't know the name, the one of the man that can't create new memories and starts by the end of the movie, although that was great and a different case and I'm not going to say why. To sum up, I enjoy it a lot but I didn't quite like the end.

The Twelve Monkeys

Really interesting, pretty well elaborated and I don't like giving 3/5 but I didn't like the end. This kinds of movies that end in the begining aren't specially my favorites, I would prefer that they change the future by stopping the bad guy but it didn't. It's like those movies where they kill someone so they show the starting situation until they show how and why he died. This kinds remind me to that movie, I don't know the name, the one of the man that can't create new memories and starts by the end of the movie, although that was great and a different case and I'm not going to say why. To sum up, I enjoy it a lot but I didn't quite like the end.
Brad Pitt is brilliant in this flick!! the movie is probably in my top 100 because it's an underrated sci-fi masterpiece

There are some cool things like a golden shower, animal dissection, strap-on play, and a whole lot of vomit. Unfortunately, it's not that sick.
You got me again Cricket. I am just waiting for one of your reviews on these types of movies where I don't laugh at this point.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
If you ask me, I like it. Obviously, it's not as amazing as La Jetee, but it's a pretty good flick, nevertheless.

"The movie never changes. It can't change. But every time you see it, it seems different because you're different. You see different things."
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

This is what I pmed him. Not a huge gripe, but it takes a bit out of the enjoyment of it.

He wasn't punished at all for the murder, and it seemed like Kevin Bacon obviously knew at the end that he killed Dave. I understand that you do whatever it takes for your loved ones but he killed an innocent man trying to do a brave thing. He should have been punished.
Sean did bring up that there is no proof so Bacon knew but couldnt prove it.

Juno: 6/10
I think that this film will follow the same arc as American Beauty. Everybody loves it when it first comes out, a backlash sets in because the film feels dated, and then two decades later it's appreciated in a new light as a time capsule satire of what middle America was like in 1999 (and 2007). The other arc it could follow is Napoleon Dynamite, where its a straight line going down because it's not serious enough to have meaning two decades later and the film is so aggressively hipster that it can't represent America in any way. I'm not a huge fan either way because I didn't think any of the performances were that good. Ellen Page reminded me of Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park, by not actually delivering a "good" performance but finding a unique way to make a fun one. The kid playing Bleeker was really bad. Jason Reitman is really good at sucking the life out of JK Simmons, who thrives when you let him be loud and active. It was never laugh out loud funny for me, but it did me smile and say that was clever.