Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Boyhood (2014)

I so dislike Linklater's blah-blah-blah trilogy so I was really skeptic to this film. But Boyhood was a pleasant surprise for me. It is nicely executed drama concentrated on a single mother family and ups and downs that life brings to any of us. The dialogues, and situations displayed were real and well acted. I was really enjoying this. Good job Mr. Linklater this time!

This is another situation where the Academy got it wrong. This is a terrific film.

This is another situation where the Academy got it wrong. This is a terrific film.
i've never bothered to learn about the standard of procedure how academy actually works. I wonder what is the specific steps they take to come out with their wining movies.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Charlie's Angels (2000) -

Okay, so I found this Thai gem called Chai Lai Angels: Dangerous Flowers I still haven't seen, but it's freakin' obvious it's a rip-off of Charlie's Angels. Chai Lai - Charlie - get it?! And it's obvious it's better than the original and I bet it's gonna be a freakin' masterpiece - unlike this utter thrash Charlie's Angels. I bet honeykid only watches it for Drew Barrymore and I can't blame him for this, because she (and Lucy Liu) are hot and like literally the only good things about the movie (and Bill Murray when he appears on the screen). The rest is the worst ever and I mean even if it was meant to be trash cinema, there are so many films meant to be trash and that actually are amazing, or even films that are not meant to be trash, but masterpieces that INDEED ARE MASTERPIECES LIKE THE ROOM. I can see there is a sequel to this called Throttle, but I'm afraid watching it WOULD INDEED THROTTLE ME, so I'm just gonna go straight for the Thai one and hope them Thai angels don't have pee pees on them!

+0.5 to the final rating to make sure honeykid won't kill himself after seeing my rating.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Coffee and Cigarettes (2003)

+
That's one cool film!

Super Mario Bros is one of the most unnecessarily convoluted movie ever put to screen. Their source material was a game in where a plumber saves a princess from a monster. But, I got to see Bob Hoskins sexy seduction dance and that’s why I love movies.

Full Review over at my site, honestly had a blast trying to write this review.

The Loving Story (2011)

A well made documentary about Richard and Mildred Loving an interracial married couple who was arrested for being married in D.C. in 1958. Upon returning to their home state of Virginia, they were arrested and jailed. The crime, interracial marriage.They were then ordered by the court to leave the state of Virginia and not allowed to return together, under penalty of a jail sentence.

This sounds like fiction, but it's true, and it took place from the late 50s all the way up to the late 60s. The film follows the Loving's, and their lawyers, appeal of this landmark case that went all the way to the Supreme Court. That ruling changed the foundation of equality and civil rights laws.

This is a no frills documentary, there's no cheesy reenactments, no fancy CG. We see the actual film footage of the Loving's, both at home with their children and being interviewed by various journalist. The two ACLU lawyers who took on their case are also interviewed as this was a huge national story. At the time this case was resolved, 26 states in America had anti interracial marriage laws.

I highly recommend this as it's a very personal, human story, it's damn important...and it's the basis of the 2016 movie Loving. Which I reviewed here: Loving
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	the-loving-story-poster.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	29520  

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

Decent movie, arguably the first big budget attempt at Sci-Fi. Like other Sci-Fi movies of the 50s, it was fun to watch and goes by fairly quickly.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Hell or High Water (2016)
+

It was worth the wait. I'll watch this again. Well written. Original story. Excellent cast, with Pine surprising me the most. They don't make enough movies of this quality. Good soundtrack.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	hell-or-high-water.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	29523  

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Buńuel, 1972)

Rafael Acosta: No, no, wait. Let her stay just two minutes more. I must show her the sursiks.
M. Thévenot: What?
Rafael Acosta: The sursiks.
M. Thévenot: Ah, yes. I'll wait in the car.
Simone Thévenot: I'll come right away.
[François Thévenot leaves]
Simone Thévenot: What are sursiks?
Rafael Acosta: I don't know. It doesn't matter. Come quick!

Luis Buńuel snidely tears down the illusions of refinement associated with the materials and rituals of the powerful and opulent. He interjects a conventional narrative with surreal sequences involving violent acts of retribution from beyond the grave. For how dry and critical the picture is, it certainly retains its sense of humor, satirizing the detachment and snobbery of the elite at every turn. The segment involving xenophobia feels rather personal considering Buńuel's heritage and the time he spent in France himself. It's a dense work that I'll need to sit with to further unpack. I have a feeling I'll be revisiting this movie in the future.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Rouge one
I'm 28 and I feel I'm too old for the new blockbusters these days. The action in the final few scenes was nice, everything else was garbo. I already accepted the franchise was dead to me after the force awakens, this just confirms my pessimism.

Power Rangers (2017)

I was a little shocked at this movie. I was expecting a full blown Bay-esque extravaganza, in fact, that's what I wanted. I'm not a fan of Power Rangers, but I enjoy giant overblown blockbusters, so I was looking forward to it. On one hand, it exceeded my expectations, as it truly seemed like they're was a decent amount of care, and effort put into this. The characters, while fairly stock, are enjoyable, and given a lot of screen time outside of the action outside of the suits to well, be characters, not simply just teenagers in colorful suits. Hell, most of the time, that's mostly what it is, and the actors are good enough to make them more interesting than they actually are, especially Banks, I really wished they did more with her, she could've easily been one of the more memorable superhero movie villains since Bane.

This movie also has a great tone. It's never too dark, or "serious," it clearly knows what the material is, but it never goes way over the top either with it's goofiness, it sits comfortably in the middle. I would've maybe liked them to embrace the latter just a bit more frequently, but, that's just personal preference. Regardless, it treats the franchise with a bit of class, it almost never panders, like similar films, such as Revenge of the Fallen, or the newest TMNT movie, a movie I like, but is guilty of a couple of awful fart jokes. Sure, there's a bad joke every now and then, but it never feels like it was put in there purely to get a cheap laugh out of younger viewers. From what I've watched, it does the franchise justice without ever sacrificing what made it appealing to fans.

On the other hand, it disappointed me in what I was expecting, and that's good action. This director does not know how to do action well. The original show at least had performers actually throwing punches, jumping in the air, a whole bunch of cool stuff. When the rangers finally suit up, and deliver the goods in this one, it's that generic shaky cam, barely see it fest that plagues so many of these kind of movies. There's also not a lot of it either, as it takes up only about the last 20 or so minutes of the film. They couldn't even make giant monsters fighting look that cool.

Overall, this isn't a bad movie by any means, just kind of a generic one, but it's generic done well. It succeeds in areas I wasn't expecting, but lacking in the ones I came for. It's a solid effort that I felt had a lot of passion put into it, and I feel the fans are going to really dig it. I wasn't incredibly invested, but if they improve on the weaker aspects, and keep those solid elements intact, and I see a strong future for this potential franchise.

I also saw the new Beauty and the Beast last week. All I really have to say is it does everything the original Dinsey film did, just nowhere near as good, it's shamelessly lazy. Nothing is done terrible, it was just remade with almost no passion, or drive to improve anything. It's not the worst, but it's the most inessential of all these recent Disney remakes. But, it's visually nice, I guess. I'd give it a
+.