Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Berlin Alexanderplantz, Part I (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1980)

I posted earlier that I watched the first 8+ hours of this 15 1/2 hour opus, and my first impression was
, but I also said I was rewatching the whole thing. Part I always seemed the most artistic and spectacular segment, shy of Part VIII, but this is my legit rating for the first 85 minutes. The opening 15 minutes is my fave part of anything Fassbinder has ever done, but I'll report more thoroughly as I progress.

Put me in your pocket...
The Gold Rush
1925 Charles Chaplin
I'm glad you liked it so much Mrs. Darcy. It's one of my favorites also. We're big fans of Chaplin in our house. The movies that Mark pointed out are all terriffic and 'must see's". If you ever get a chance, Chaplins' Mutual Collection (a collection of 12 shorts) are a real treat to see.

I hope your class watched the original version and not the 1942 reissue where Chaplin "narrated". That version is OK but just doesn't deserve the love of the original.
Although I loved both versions, I'm going to disagree with you mark of this one. I loved the 1942 version...maybe it's the way Chaplin narrated it that hooks me. I'm curious why don't you think the '42 version deserves the same love as the '25 version?

Btw...great Chaplin movie suggestions.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
OK, Annie, I love the other one too. It's just that when I watch my DVD, which has both versions, I always watch the original one. I think it's because that is the one I watched first and I enjoy reading the title cards. I guess it's because of sentimental reasons.

Put me in your pocket...
Presenting Lily Mars (1943)
I must see for Judy Garland fans. She's adorable and looks fabulous...shows her comedic side as well as her dramatic. She matched well with Van Heflin (loved his facial expressions)...and the supporting cast is wonderful. It was also great to see a few songs I had seen in bits and pieces elsewhere (usually in documentaries). This probably isn't for those who aren't musical lovers though. The story is standard and predictable and it's definately not a four star production like Easter Parade. However, with Judy at her best I didn't care...she was definately worth seeing.

Put me in your pocket...
OK, Annie, I love the other one too. It's just that when I watch my DVD, which has both versions, I always watch the original one. I think it's because that is the one I watched first and I enjoy reading the title cards. I guess it's because of sentimental reasons.
It's funny...it's the same with me. The '42 version was the first one we had seen and I too have sentimental ties attatched to it. It's probably the first movie my son took any real interest in (he's not a movie watcher). And, I think aside from the obvious funny stunts and situations, it was how Chaplin narrated it that added too my son's enjoyment of it. So I'll always have a warmer feeling for the '42 version.

In no particular order...

Frankenstein (1931)

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

Goldfinger

The Departed

Sin City

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Meet the Spartans

Might I ask; how

Don't ask how
Don't ask why
Too old to live
Too young to die

I'm watching Spring in a Small Town again in increments. It makes it a little easier to get through but I still don't see how this is "the best Chinese/HK/Taiwanese film of all time."

Proposition -

Like several Westerns since Eastwood's Unforgiven, this film tried to revive the genre, but failed to do so because of being a modest Box Office success. However, Proposition, directed by John Hillcoat and written and scored by Nick Cave, managed to be a far better film than most modern Westerns.

Of course, comparisons with Unforgiven are inevitable - both films tackle similar subjects, deal with themes of revenge and redemption, and there is a large resemblance between the characters. However, while Eastwood's direction is intentionally low-key not to distract from character development and progression of the story, much of Proposition's appeal comes from its visuals and soundtrack, and the entire atmosphere of misery and hopelessness that Hillcoat and Cave have managed to convey. Contrasts play a big role in the movie's general look - most notably, Watson's character is strongly contrasted with filth and ugliness of the world which she and her husband inhabit.

Despite the emphasis on the visuals, Proposition by no means lacks content and characters - the dark and depressive look and disturbing and realistic depiction of violence are accompanied by uncompromising and realistic characters. Every character is flawed in their own way, even Martha, who eventually shows that she is as unforgiving and latently violent as any of the movie's characters. It manages to tackle several subjects, rarely coming close to becoming preachy, thanks to intelligent writing and attention to detail.

Depending on your level of tolerance to such things, some of its flaws may or may not ruin the overall experience - some of the supporting characters, such as those played by Wenham and Hurt, are one-dimensional to the point of being caricatures of themselves, but that is mostly due to their limited on-screen time, which makes their lack of complexity understandable and, thanks to superb performances, their simplicity is well hidden.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
Cars -

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Fargo

I am half agony, half hope.
The General (1927)
This plot driven movie perfectly showcases Keaton's acrobatic and comedic talents.

Johann von Goethe