Laugh With Matt

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
First time I have laughed since my brother's passing was thanks to my favorite podcast. I only can muster the energy for one, and so bye Bill Burr, but I don't care about sports I don't watch, and not interested in the same stories about your wife.

Out For Smokes #151

Feisty Lynn Samuels and Mort Sahl
I know there's only a few fans of his on here, but this is worth posting. Might be my favorite interview, and it's because she's a feisty woman. The PERFECT match on radio. She was great. A real woman. Isn't afraid of saying "awww" when her heart is moved. And then to talk/argue with Mort Sahl is hilarious. They talk about the men/woman thing, society in general. It's almost 30 years old, but you'll be surprised how relevant it is.. It's also funny and profound.

There's hardly anything out there of Professor Irwin Corey, and the stuff that is out there is when he was in his 90s, not the same.. If you love Spoonerism

Wonderful video. I never saw any of Corey's club acts-- only on TV in the '50s & '60s. Billed as "The World's Foremost Authority" he'd often wear a old time professor's outfit, and ramble on in a pseudo intellectual manner, essentially saying nothing, interspersed with gags.

It struck me watching this bit how his banter and emphasis was similar to Jackie Mason's: a serious setup followed by a zinger. He was something.

Wonderful video. I never saw any of Corey's club acts-- only on TV in the '50s & '60s. Billed as "The World's Foremost Authority" he'd often wear a old time professor's outfit, and ramble on in a pseudo intellectual manner, essentially saying nothing, interspersed with gags.

It struck me watching this bit how his banter and emphasis was similar to Jackie Mason's: a serious setup followed by a zinger. He was something.

Corey is amazing, but most of the video clips of his stand-up is when he's very old, and it's like having sex with an 80-yr starlet, instead of her when she was 30... Some of it might have been easier on the audience if it was written out, but I tend to find something after another viewing. Corey seemed like Al Kelly until Mort Sahl made it big in the hungry i, and then he inserted political satire.

"We know who killed Malcolm X.. It was Mother F... of the CIA"

There's a documentary I might have posted on your "Documentaries", but it's actually bad. "Fran" is dead weight, and they don't play any of the best clips. Reminds me of this new comedy book. It's horrible. I know the guy peripherally and online, but he doesn't know shit about comedy, and does nothing but quote other books/interviews, but wouldn't understand 5% of a Mort Sahl album... Henry Morgan said 70% of the audience didn't understand Mort, despite using simple words, but he did create his own language/comedy.

Interesting about Morgan's quote. Is he referencing a more modern audience? Back when he was on TV a lot, mostly the '60s, the audiences seemed to understand very well the point of his jokes. I do think his pacing was too fast, not allowing some to catch up with his thinking.

Interesting about Morgan's quote. Is he referencing a more modern audience? Back when he was on TV a lot, mostly the '60s, the audiences seemed to understand very well the point of his jokes. I do think his pacing was too fast, not allowing some to catch up with his thinking.

1960 to be exact. I used to talk to Krassner all the time about comedy/politics. He put all of "The Realist" online. Here's the interview with Henry Morgan.

https://www.ep.tc/realist/19/index.html

The Vice-President's wife was asked,
"Was your husband inspired by Robert Redford in 'The Candidate'?"

"No, he was inspired by 'The Manchurian Candidate!"