1st View=DISLIKE! 2nd View=LIKE!

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It's very common to like a movie on a subsequent viewing, or to go from really disliking a movie and then liking it a lot, but after handful of viewings. I'm talking instant. This is probably rare, to have that much disparity but for me, it's "L'Aventurra". I didn't like it at all, but it is a different kind of movie, so perhaps I was preparing for a totally different kind of movie, especially with the focus changing quickly, and possibly because of a beauty like Monica Vitti. Orson Welles (ironically?) called this movie revolutionary because it deals with the subject of boredom as a new phenomena. People with family, friends, money, knowing it doesn't get any better, so they find issues within, hence some scenes (from other Antonioni movies) of characters during inner turmoil, reflecting.

It's very common to like a movie on a subsequent viewing, or to go from really disliking a movie and then liking it a lot, but after handful of viewings. I'm talking instant. This is probably rare, to have that much disparity but for me, it's "L'Aventurra". I didn't like it at all, but it is a different kind of movie, so perhaps I was preparing for a totally different kind of movie, especially with the focus changing quickly, and possibly because of a beauty like Monica Vitti. Orson Welles (ironically?) called this movie revolutionary because it deals with the subject of boredom as a new phenomena. People with family, friends, money, knowing it doesn't get any better, so they find issues within, hence some scenes (from other Antonioni movies) of characters during inner turmoil, reflecting.
The first time I saw David Lynch's "Lost Highway", I walked out of the theater halfway through. The second time I watched it (at the time, just to laugh at how bad it was) it clicked for me, and I was suddenly a David Lynch fan.

When you watch something extremely different from your norm, the first view can go wrong, especially if it has a slow, confusing start, like many Lynch films.

The first time I saw David Lynch's "Lost Highway", I walked out of the theater halfway through. The second time I watched it (at the time, just to laugh at how bad it was) it clicked for me, and I was suddenly a David Lynch fan.

When you watch something extremely different from your norm, the first view can go wrong, especially if it has a slow, confusing start, like many Lynch films.

I saw that movie only once, over 20 years ago. I remember Robert Blake being very convincing! Lynch was one of my favorites at 17, but I haven't seen any of his movies in 20 years, except for his "Straight" stories. I should make sure I have his movies on automatic DVR since I never know when I'm going to feel like revisiting an old movie I haven't seen in a while, especially considering I remember being ambivalent about it.

I liked the beginning. I can only remember the scene when she meets her new step-father getting out of the car, and felt the first sign of tension and then thought, "OK, it's gonna get good" but to me, it fell... Considering what I said, should I give it another try?

I liked the beginning. I can only remember the scene when she meets her new step-father getting out of the car, and felt the first sign of tension and then thought, "OK, it's gonna get good" but to me, it fell... Considering what I said, should I give it another try?
I would recommend giving it another go. I don't remember feeling a lot of tension, but I don't think the film relies on that.

Original or remake?

I'm not even sure if remake is the right term.

The Evil Dead 1981 or 2013?

I would recommend giving it another go. I don't remember feeling a lot of tension, but I don't think the film relies on that.
Right.. Immediately after, it sorta felt like a fairy tale and I kinda zoned out.

It's been 10 years, but the first time I saw "La Grande Illusion" I was on 4 hours of sleep in a cheap motel and the video was in horrible quality. The second time, I saw it on TCM and loved it, even gave it a 10/10 and liked it the few times after as well.

First time that I watched The Big Heat (1953) I had a very negative opinion and panned it in my review. The second time I watched it, I flipped my opinion and loved it!

For me it's more common to like a movie on the first watch. and on subsequent watches the movie falls apart and I end up disliking it.

First time that I watched The Big Heat (1953) I had a very negative opinion and panned it in my review. The second time I watched it, I flipped my opinion and loved it!

For me it's more common to like a movie on the first watch. and on subsequent watches the movie falls apart and I end up disliking it.

Do you know why?

I do. But it's kinda hard to explain. It had nothing to do with the quality of the movie, which is excellent. It had to do with the opening scene that produced a visceral emotion for me, that caused me to have disdain for the rest of the film and so my mind then processed the rest of the movie in a negative light. The second time I felt 180 degrees different.