Dislike of Technology

Tools    

Call tthe TV manufacturer. Sounds like you got a bad set.
Possibly. It's several years old now. The weird thing is well-lighted scenes look fine. I remember when we first hooked up the HD box and put on a football game, the definition was dazzling.

P.S. Just an aside (and why everything is difficult with my family)... many years ago my mom bought a beautiful wooden TV cabinet - designed for TV's when they were square.

Terrible design as there was no foresight that one day you'd need space for multiple devices. So the shelf for another device is all the way on the floor - once my parents got too old they couldn't get down that far to insert media, so they stopped using it. The space is also a wrong size to fit various players and some of the larger cable boxes didn't fit.

Now, the combo VCR / DVD player I got them is directly under the TV (which should not be done with electric devices) and the cable box is on the bottom shelf. The thing is I could only find one TV model that fit in this cabinet - it's a Coby. For every other model, the dimensions were all wrong - unless I got a tiny flat screen that no one could see from across the room.

When shopping for a new TV my mother refused the idea of getting rid of the TV cabinet (it's a nice piece of furniture) in lieu of an open-backed entertainment stand. And the cabinet weighs a ton and only has a slot in the back, so running wires is a pain.

Yeah, I'm not a fan. It made certain things about life easier, obviously being that is the exact definition. But one thing that grinds my gears is that the further the technology the harder it is for Indie film makers to make a living, due to streaming ect, ect. As well as just technology can really be a pain in the ass to deal with.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yeah, I'm not a fan. It made certain things about life easier, obviously being that is the exact definition. But one thing that grinds my gears is that the further the technology the harder it is for Indie film makers to make a living, due to streaming ect, ect. As well as just technology can really be a pain in the ass to deal with.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I remember similar arguments for the music industry back when Napster and other file sharing apps took hold. Yet people's experience and the market evolved. Indie musicians figured out how to take advantage of the changing media distribution to get their music to new fans faster than college radio ever could. Even more compared to hoping for a 4-track demo to sway the attention of a major label.

As to making a living, there's two sides to any coin. Getting your work seen seems to be easier than ever for those with the motiviation and aptitude to market it, taking advantage of social media and fan base tracking.

I dont mean to argue, neccasarily, just to get another perspective out.

*edit*
Hey! I just noticed... Welcome to the forums!!!

I resist technology at every turn until it drags me kicking and screaming. Thats why Im chiseling this message on my stone tablet while sitting in my cave...

They call Alexa an "intelligent personal assistant" - it does everything.
I find it to be largely useless actually. Got one for Christmas and I only really use it to ask about the weather (and I have to be SUPER specific as to location which is annoying) and as a reminder system ("Alexa remind me to take my #*&&##! lunch tomorrow morning!"). Anything else it almost always fails at spectacularly. Forget music. I tell it to play a specific artist and it plays another artist by a similar name. So Im more specific about my request and it plays a SONG with the same name as that artist. So I tell it to play a specific song by that specific artist and it says it never heard of "songartist" as if its one word. Its generally at this point I have to restrain myself from throwing it out the window. We have a long way to go until we have real competent AI that will actually do what we want.

Technology (and science) in general is great but there are some annoyances like compulsion to connect every single device to internet or embedding computers to every machine from cars to refrigerators to microwave ovens. Too much fine electronics will only lower the working life of appliances and allow those appliances be a working part of the largest self-surveillance system the world has ever seen.

Being born in the 70's and seeing the appearance of personal computers it's hard for me to imagine going back to time without modern technology. The information available for people today is just so huge when compared to time when you were relying on what your school, friends, parents, local newspapers and local library could provide - if only people would be more concerned about the freedom of internet and wouldn't go with the real populist politicians (mostly left-wing, liberal, green, SJW's who dream of totalitarian world in the name of freedom) who'd like to censor the "wrong" opinions out of there too.

I'm so relieved that others feel the same frustrations as I do. Today's technology is not as efficient in some ways. After I enter the number of a person I'm calling on my new phone, I must then press the 'call' button. Why? When I finished dialing the standard amount of numbers on my old phone (And no, it did have buttons, though I am old enough to have used a rotary dial phone.), that number was immediately dialed. Younger people think older ones can't adapt to the new technology but many of us expect it to be more user-friendly. Will it ever improve or will the younger generation just accept they have to take all of these steps to do simple things? But I still can't figure why I have to charge my electric razor (an old problem). Surely it doesn't use as much power as my vacuum cleaner, which I also plug in and don't have to charge.

I'm so relieved that others feel the same frustrations as I do. Today's technology is not as efficient in some ways.
So true!

After I enter the number of a person I'm calling on my new phone, I must then press the 'call' button. Why?
I've complained about that too.
But I still can't figure why I have to charge my electric razor (an old problem).
It's very hard to find a corded electric razor. I do see why someone wants a rechargeable razor I have one for camping. But at home a corded one will do fine.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I'm so relieved that others feel the same frustrations as I do. Today's technology is not as efficient in some ways. After I enter the number of a person I'm calling on my new phone, I must then press the 'call' button. Why? When I finished dialing the standard amount of numbers on my old phone (And no, it did have buttons, though I am old enough to have used a rotary dial phone.), that number was immediately dialed. Younger people think older ones can't adapt to the new technology but many of us expect it to be more user-friendly. Will it ever improve or will the younger generation just accept they have to take all of these steps to do simple things? But I still can't figure why I have to charge my electric razor (an old problem). Surely it doesn't use as much power as my vacuum cleaner, which I also plug in and don't have to charge.
I now have a visual of carpet with a beard! /saying that, however, I know, right! Things these days seem so damnn complicated. I feel like I need a university degree just to use my microwave. When did things get so dam complicated. I must be damn lazy because if i cant do something in one or two steps,to hell with it.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
To add in on the over-complication of technology, my aunt bought my grandmother a new stove maybe 2 years back. It had all the bells and whistles with touch-icons and settings. The only drawback was that she was legally blind and couldn't see the menu options or buttons that were designed flush to the interface surface. So much for universally simple knobs where North is off.

I have a corded one that still must be charged. I can't understand it. Isn't there enough electricity in the outlet to power it? But apparently not because after I have used it, plugged in, for a while, it's drained.
I feel I may have been a little hard on the younger generation. But if they are accustomed to such inconveniences, will the makers of technology improve it?

I have a corded one that still must be charged. I can't understand it. Isn't there enough electricity in the outlet to power it? But apparently not because after I have used it, plugged in, for a while, it's drained.
I feel I may have been a little hard on the younger generation. But if they are accustomed to such inconveniences, will the makers of technology improve it?
I have the same thing - a clipper with a power cord, but the cord can only be used to charge the clipper - the thing won't work if you just plug it in and turn it on unless it's already charged.

I think I've gone off on rechargeable tools on this thread a few times. The one experience we all have with them is that they invariably run out of charge JUST before you've completed a task.

One time I asked a friend to drill a hole for me in an oak bookcase so I could run wires for my stereo & speakers behind it. He brought his ultimate drill (you know, the one that can do anything). Just before he got the hole big enough to fit a plug through, the drill's battery ran out of charge - no worries though, he had the drill's extra battery with him... he began drilling again, but then that battery ran out of charge since the last time it was charged was months ago. And it took a minimum of 8 hours to charge the batteries.

I ended up spending about 2 hours with a wood file enlarging the hole until it was big enough to slip a plug through (what would have taken about 2 minutes with a drill that had a power cord).

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Am I the only one who has a flip phone with no camera? (no internet of course)... They are distractions, and I try to keep my phone off as much as possible, especially during a movie.

Am I the only one who has a flip phone with no camera? (no internet of course)... They are distractions, and I try to keep my phone off as much as possible, especially during a movie.
I don't even have a cell phone. I hate carrying extra stuff with me and I hate answering the phone, so why would I want to carry a phone with me

Dislike technology? Why not join the flat earth society? To edgy? Well, there's always some other cult out there that doesn't use electricity or some such nonsense. Technology today is AMAZING! I call BS on Citizen Rules. He has a phone. We all have phones. Nobody "talks" on them anymore tho. Hmm... maybe he doesn't have a phone or he would know that. Dude, we text now. It's great! You don't have to talk to ANYONE anymore! It's true.

I don't even have a cell phone. I hate carrying extra stuff with me and I hate answering the phone, so why would I want to carry a phone with me
I intensely dislike the telephone. I especially hate it when I have to call someone. Most of the time I use my house phone, but I do have a cell phone ($12 fliptop phone) for emergency calls out. (If the house phone is out, e.g.) I never ever answer my cell phone or check texts. First day of each month, I delete the lot.

Someone above posted that we have to hit “call” now when we make a call. On my cell phone I have to hit “talk” & on my friend’s cell phone he has to hit “send”. All so confusing!

I intensely dislike the telephone. I especially hate it when I have to call someone. Most of the time I use my house phone, but I do have a cell phone ($12 fliptop phone) for emergency calls out. (If the house phone is out, e.g.) I never ever answer my cell phone or check texts. First day of each month, I delete the lot.

Someone above posted that we have to hit “call” now when we make a call. On my cell phone I have to hit “talk” & on my friend’s cell phone he has to hit “send”. All so confusing!
This brings up a great subject that I had discussed with someone... the fact that during cell phone conversations people seem to keep interrupting or talking over each other - which doesn't seem to happen with old fashioned landlines.

A friend said it's because there's a micro-second delay on cell phones (sending the signals to relay stations, to satellites, to other relay stations and back to another phone). And that this delay doesn't exist when phones are connected by a wire.

I don't know about that though - as far as I'm aware both signals travel at the speed of light, so there should be no delay (unless the delay lies somewhere in the relay).

Anyone with knowledge on this would be helpful... but I can corroborate that cell phone conversations always seem uncomfortable due to talking over each other (or not realizing when the other person is done speaking or is pausing), but when talking to the same exact person on a landline, there doesn't seem to be these same problems.

Dislike technology? Why not join the flat earth society? To edgy? Well, there's always some other cult out there that doesn't use electricity or some such nonsense. Technology today is AMAZING! I call BS on Citizen Rules. He has a phone. We all have phones. Nobody "talks" on them anymore tho. Hmm... maybe he doesn't have a phone or he would know that. Dude, we text now. It's great! You don't have to talk to ANYONE anymore! It's true.
Cool dude, cool

I intensely dislike the telephone. I especially hate it when I have to call someone....
I hate answering the phone because most the time it's a tele marketer or someone asking for donations. Then they call right during dinner

This brings up a great subject that I had discussed with someone... the fact that during cell phone conversations people seem to keep interrupting or talking over each other - which doesn't seem to happen with old fashioned landlines.
I don't know why that happens, but even if I'm on a land line and the other person is on a cell phone, there is a time lag, and it makes conversation unnatural and difficult. Then there's the inevitable cell break up where you only here parts of words. Image if we all typed like that? It w d be so ha to r d, hat e ive up.

@Captain Steel, I think you’re right. Occasionally I use my cell phone because I have to load it with $80 a year & I need to use some of those minutes. When I call Amazon & it’s outsourced, the convo on my cell phone is horrible. The guy in India keeps talking over me & vice versa.

To add in on the over-complication of technology, my aunt bought my grandmother a new stove maybe 2 years back. It had all the bells and whistles with touch-icons and settings. The only drawback was that she was legally blind and couldn't see the menu options or buttons that were designed flush to the interface surface. So much for universally simple knobs where North is off.
I don't know about anyone else but I think this is the perfect description of those that designed said stove. Bravo yn, bravo!!!

But I still can't figure why I have to charge my electric razor (an old problem).
With regards the removal of beards - I still find rubbing one's face gently against a brick wall for a few minutes each day perfectly adequate and no charging or electricity required at all so planet friendly too