Movie Tab II

Tools    

Haha great stuff. Amanda Donohoe is pure comedy gold in that movie, and so so seductive. One of my favourite Russell films (of the ones I've seen). You've made me want to watch Nic Roeg's Castaway again now.
Yes, she's, erm... very impressive in Castaway. Though, to be honest, I think she looks much, much better in "Worm", despite the addition of clothing.

Heard nothing but good things about Behind the Candelabra. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Good to see you watched and enjoyed Mother, Juggs And Speed, too.

The General (Clyde Bruckman, Buster Keaton, 1926)

A silent classic and my first ever Buster Keaton film was an enjoyable experience with lots of fantastic moments. Although when described the plot might seem quite straightforward, the story has a few twists and turns that keep the story interesting as Keaton attempts to rescue both his locomotive and a girl he loves. A good mixture of comedy and action with some great stunt scenes make this a great piece of work, especially when you consider its time.

Manhunter (Michael Mann, 1986)

After I finished watching this years' new television series Hannibal I finally got around to watching this film that I had recorded a while back. Although not as well known or as well critically received as its 'successor', The Silence of the Lambs, this is a film that people seem to be beginning to re-evaluate in recent times, and for good reason. Stylistically the film is great, with some lovely shots making great use of lighting and colour but for me the main strength of the film is in the acting. William Petersen is brilliant as Will Graham, in an extremely intelligent role that seems to have been replicated to great effect in the television series, then there is the small but great appearance of Hannibal portrayed by Brian Cox with Mann limiting the character to leave the audiences wanting more from the character - something they got in The Silence of the Lambs, a film much more focussed on the serial killer.

The King of Comedy (Martin Scorsese, 1982)
+

Another film like the previous one that seems to have undergone a re-evaluation of sorts in recent years following an initial box office failure and not so great critical response upon its initial release. Although I can not yet describe this as a masterpiece in the same way I would other Scorsese films, this is definitely up there close to his best work. Roger Ebert seemed to really dislike the film, mainly in part to a main character who he was disgusted by. Where this film worked for me was in fact with the main character, Rupert Pupkin (portrayed by De Niro), I found myself cheering him on and actually felt sorry for him in a way. This meant that I found the ending absolutely brilliant, I really loved how it all turned out and how this man's life was changed - "better to be King for a night, than schmuck for a lifetime".

Pierrot le Fou (Jean-Luc Godard, 1965)

My second Godard film following Breathless is one that some consider a remake of sorts. I am not sure whether the majority of people would find this film accessible or not, despite having a straight forward crime/noir storyline it is still a little abrupt and mixes a lot of art and unusual scenes with the straightforward plot. Godard makes superb use of colour, and there's some absolutely fantastic shots throughout the film with really vibrant and strong red, blue and white colours, the film as a whole feels a piece of 'pop art' and Godard seems to have a lot to say on life, art and the two together. Belmondo is great in the film as I thought he was in Breathless, as the calm character who seems to wander around without a care in the world - with the ending and iconic face paint image/scene particularly great.

Singin in the Rain (Stanley Donen, Gene Kelly, 1952)

A delightful film that can be enjoyed as a great piece of work overall and not just as a musical, which may put some people off. A classic film with a great story full of joy and humour, this film has a lot of great scenes and fell good moments. The film's opening with the flashbacks of Gene Kelly's characters life reminded me of Citizen Kane in a way and I think it would be a fair comment to call this the 'Citizien Kane of musicals' in terms of its quality within the genre. Great sets, costumes and actors are everything you associate with such classics and this film has them all, as I said, this is filled with joy and one that should leave you with a smile on your face after watching.

The King of Comedy (Martin Scorsese, 1982)
+

Roger Ebert seemed to really dislike the film, mainly in part to a main character who he was disgusted by.
He gave it three stars out of four, didn't he? As far as I know, in Ebert's rating system, 3 stars = good movie. 3.5 means very good, 4 is for great.

I think The King of Comedy has one of De Niro's finest performances, he looked more as a psychopath than as Robert De Niro, which is a sign of a great actor. Couldn't stand the actress though, and her huge mouth.

He gave it three stars out of four, didn't he? As far as I know, in Ebert's rating system, 3 stars = good movie. 3.5 means very good, 4 is for great.

I think The King of Comedy has one of De Niro's finest performances, he looked more as a psychopath than as Robert De Niro, which is a sign of a great actor. Couldn't stand the actress though, and her huge mouth.
He might give it 3 out of 4 stars, but he didn't like it that much. He appreciated it because it was made by Scorsese, but didn't enjoy it at all.

"The King of Comedy" is not, you may already have guessed, a fun movie. It is also not a bad movie. It is frustrating to watch, unpleasant to remember, and, in its own way, quite effective.
In a book I have Ebert on Scorsese he basically expands on how he finds it an unpleasant film too.

I see, I pretty much felt the same way. Ebert found the right adjectives to describe the movie. It is indeed frustrating, unpleasant, painful etc.

I also think it's darker than most dark comedies, and it's one of those movies that you appreciate more than you enjoy, or have fun whilst watching. That still makes it a good movie in my book.

I see, I pretty much felt the same way. Ebert found the right adjectives to describe the movie. It is indeed frustrating, unpleasant, painful etc.

I also think it's darker than most dark comedies, and it's one of those movies that you appreciate more than you enjoy, or have fun whilst watching. That still makes it a good movie in my book.
Fair enough, I found myself the opposite though and was able to highly enjoy it as well as appreciate. I felt I connected and sympathised with Pupkin and found myself cheering him on and was delighted by the film's end for his character

I sympathised with Pupkin in the sense that I understand his frustrations regarding the very difficult 'way to succes'. His actions are all caused by that frustration.
The woman had darker motives that weren't always that clear to me (a kind of weird obsession that I can't relate to, I guess) and therefore I couldn't really sympathise with her as I did with Pupkin.

It's a very good film and perhaps the reason why Ebert didn't like it that much, was because he himself was more of a Jerry Langford than a Rupert Pupkin.

It's not my favorite Scorsese film, but I'll certainly rewatch it many more times in the future.

I'm not a REVIEW MACHINE like Daniel so I'm going for my usual, bland ratings and teensy comments.

*= Rewatch

A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971)

Deeply, deeply unpleasant in almost every facet, but since that's clearly by design I can't mark it down for that. Hard not to admire the technical wizardry and attention-to-detail in the look and symbolic aspects of the film.

American Splendor (Shari Springer Berman & Robert Pulcini, 2003)
-
Staggeringly original biopic successfully walks a fine line between documentary and fiction telling a compelling story of finding the interesting in the mundane.

Paper Moon (Peter Bogdanovich, 1973)

Stark, desolate depiction of the depression and middle America featuring an endlessly compelling father-daughter performance.

Rushmore (Wes Anderson, 1998)

Finding Neverland (Marc Forster, 2004)

Farewell My Concubine (Kaige Chen, 1993)

Touch of Evil (Orson Welles, 1958)
-
Amelie* (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
+

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Good For Nothing (Mike Wallis, 2011)

Save the Date (Michael Mohan, 2012)

Welcome to Hard Times (Burt Kennedy, 1967)

Mon Oncle (Jacques Tati, 1958)

Cherish (Finn Taylor, 2002)

Posse (Mario Van Peebles, 1993)
+
Lisa (Phili[ Donne, 1962)

Thelma & Louise (Ridley Scott, 1991)
-

Cattle King (Tay Garnett, 1963)

Anamorph (H. S. Miller, 2007)
-
Carolina Blues (Leigh Jason, 1944)

The Raid: Redemption (Gareth Huw Evans, 2011)

Hi-De-Ho (Josh Binney, 1947)

Charlotte’s Web (Gary Winick, 2006)

Mystic River (Clint Eastwood, 2003)

Major Barbara (Gabriel Pascal, 1941)
+

The Pledge (Sean Penn, 2001)

Ella Enchanted (Tommy O’Haver, 2004)
+
Below (David Twohy, 2002)

The Sicilian Clan (Henri Verneuil, 1969)
+

Opera (1987,Argento)

An off beat and electric horror film. This has many flaws, but stylistically I've seen little like it, I'm not sure if I'm willing to forgive the ending though. I decided not to drop my rating because of it, but it just came out of nowhere, and didn't make sense.

God Bless America (2011, Goldthwait)

Pure junk, and the worst part is those who hail this film as a genius message. let's not allow the director of Crank Yankers tell us what is wrong with society. And the satire isn't anything special, they just take a hated person/group, change their name, and kill em.

Capitalism: A Love Story (2009, Moore)
+
This is my third Michael Moore film and I do like him since he makes entertaining and informative documentaries. I learned a lot about buisness practices, such as how they have their own life insurance on workers. The film is lively, but a bit elongated. Also it made me miss the optimistic days of the Obama administration.

The Last Supper (1995,Title)

I watched this since Honeykid mentioned it in another thread, and I have mixed feelings on it. While it is predictable and has awful acting, it is entertaining and has a good moral. The symbolism was hit and miss.

Leningrad Cowboys Go America, Ariel, and Le Havre (Kaurismaki)
, and

Thoughts

more to come...

everything is good there. :P

Donnie,I think that's a bit harsh rating for God Bless America.Towards the end,this film really goes sideways but I thought the beginning was pretty decent.I think I gave it a

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
rewatch Beetlejuice

Robot and Frank
set in the "near future" an old man with terrible memory is gifted a robot by his son to watch and take care of him. Which he cares very little for until he comes to realize that the robot is an excellent assistant for his old job; cat burglarizing.
Now, while this premise appears to be a set up for an action caper this is, in fact, a movie of emotion and heart played out between father and son, father and daughter, father and robot and in the end, father and himself.

Let the night air cool you off
donnie, have you seen Suspiria? It's one of my favorite horror films of all-time, and even within the giallo genre, there isn't much like it.

donnie, have you seen Suspiria? It's one of my favorite horror films of all-time, and even within the giallo genre, there isn't much like it.
No not yet, if it's still on Youtube I'll have to get to it soon.