The Horror Fanatic's Top 150 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

So, I've been meaning to put together a top list for some time now, and as I wrote down the titles of all of my favorite films, it turned out that I had a lot of favorites. And I have more favorite horror movies than every other genre combined. Just to make things easier, I separated the horror stuff, and I will do a top 100 non-horror list as soon as this is through.
For the record, I have kind of a broad definition of "horror." There are films on this list which would fit more into comedy, science fiction, action, or even family. If it pays homage to the horror genre, has gothic sensibilities, or is just plain scary, you'll probably see it on this list. I can already imagine someone here saying "Well, if you consider THAT horror, you might as well put THIS on your list!"
Oh, and at least half of these are B movies. Some of them are considered by some to be the worst movies ever made. And there are other films which are widely considered to be classics, the best in the genre. Some classics are on this list, and some aren't. Because I just don't love them enough.
It's okay if you disagree with some of my choices. All I ask is that you be nice about it.
One more thing - like Teeter, I might add some to this list that I've just seen, but if I do I'll add them as bonuses - Bonus Fav #1, Bonus Fav #2, etc. The list itself will remain unaltered, no matter how awesome Man Bites Dog or Cannibal Holocaust turns out to be.

150. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Usually, the first film in a franchise that I see will be my all-time favorite. I saw this after watching both Invasion and the original 1956 movie, and it blew both of them out of the water. That's not to say those other two sucked, though; they were decent films. But did they have young President Snow or Spock with feelings?
Besides the great cast, the film also has some excellent special effects, most of which hold up today, as well as one of the creepiest soundtracks I've ever heard.

I have been looking forward to and expecting this list. Mainly because i find it hard to find decent horror films and you seem as if you're a massive horror fan. I have to say though i wasn't that big of a fan of IOTBS.

The '93 version was so creepy when I first saw it, haven't seen it since the 90s though. The '78 one is brilliant. Very nice start to your Horror list.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Never seen this movie, interesting list. 150 horror's, wow. I had trouble just making my top 100.

The '93 version was so creepy when I first saw it, haven't seen it since the 90s though. The '78 one is brilliant. Very nice start to your Horror list.
I love the '78 and '93 Body Snatchers. Great movies.
Hmm, I've never seen the '90s version. I'll check it out sometime
I have been looking forward to and expecting this list. Mainly because i find it hard to find decent horror films and you seem as if you're a massive horror fan. I have to say though i wasn't that big of a fan of IOTBS.
Well, thank you
Like I said in the description, though, some of my favorites are commonly disliked, and there will be several B movies mentioned in the list. However, there are quite a lot of good ones that I'll mention as well.

Good start. This is one of the best remakes ever

149. Night of the Living Dead (the original, of course)

I can tell that a certain long-necked pal of mine will be pleased by this choice
The original Night of the Living Dead is an undisputed classic, and one of the greatest zombie movies ever made. It was one of the few low-budget horror movies of its time to feature characters who were actually interesting and that the audience could care about.
Tom Savini did a pretty good job with his '90s version, but it doesn't exactly stand shoulder to shoulder with this one. Also, I highly recommend Mimesis if you're a fan of this movie.

Night of the Living Dead (1968) at #149? sounds like this is gonna be a loaded list

definitely among my favorite horror flicks

Re: Philip Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

I've yet to be able to get into this version. Whereas the '56 version is in my 100.
The 78' version does the best job of ratcheting up the paranoia for me. I think the fact it's set in a big city makes it more effective as a social commentary on the lack of community spirit, alienation (no pun intended) and loneliness (as opposed to commie paranoia). At least that's how I read it. The Ferrara version is easily the weakest, but still light years ahead of Oliver Hirschbiegel's The Invasion and Stuart Orme's adaption of Robert A. Heinlein's The Puppet Masters (the book many believe IVOTBS borrows liberally from). Which reminds me of Clea DuVall's line in Robby Rodriguez's The Faculty. My third favourite body snatchers movie. My! what an accolade that is.

Anyway, great choice Joe, but I agree with mark that it should be way higher. It's in my top 100 favourite movies of any genre.

Anyway, great choice Joe, but I agree with mark that it should be way higher. It's in my top 100 favourite movies of any genre.
Thanks
After listing that and NOTLD as my first couple, I think people are going to be pissed by my next choice.

Wow only 149 for NotLD? Which is in my top 50 movies of all time? Damn. Dawn and Day better be WAY up the list!

Hell of a start though. Looking forward to the rest of the list!
I'm sorry, but Dawn didn't make it. It's one of those classics that I didn't love quite enough.

Two films that I have not seen yet, but this should make for a very interesting thread as I love lists

For those interested, Night of the Living Dead is actually available to watch free legally here: http://archive.org/details/night_of_the_living_dead - like I said I haven't even seen it myself yet, but I will eventually