The MoFo Top Neo-noir Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

I can't believe that Citizen has 47 ballots, and I just have 42! I would've thought Film Noir was more niche. C'mon, people. Help me beat Citizen
Right now I have 48 and I'm hoping for more....I'd be thrilled if Neo Noir got a whole bunch more too!

I think people are over concerned that they don't know what noir and neo noir is, so they believe their list won't match up to an experts list and so they don't vote. There is no experts, only us MoFos and all the noir ballots I've received have been great, I'm sure Thief's ballots for neo noir have been equally solid. Just vote for what you like! But send in those ballots, today is the last day.

It is odd that Classic Noir is beating Neo in list counts. It's like there is a conspiracy it just doesn't make sense.
It's possible that one reason for that may be because classic noir has more definable parameters, whereas neo-noir is much vaguer. Perhaps folks were not as sure what neo-noir is.

OTOH it might simply be happenstance...

I will say, for both ballots, there was an issue of getting a list of movies to work off of. With the cause of neo-noir, the lists I did get were often jumbled with so many movies I wouldn't consider for noir, and then also during the process altering what I would think of as neo-noir (and then also combining neo-noirs with retro-noirs), that my brain also definitely felt jumbled as to what I wanted to list and with what weight/etc. I think ultimately I wasn't very satisfied with ballot I ended up casting, but it was something. I had to basically give up trying to check most of the movies on my ballot because it was mentally becoming too much as well. I can see how that would demotivate people. I nearly passed on trying to submit something.

Clock is ticking, people! We're at 45 right now, not counting my own which I will submit in a few minutes.

I'm checking out for tonight. I will give some extra time, considering time zone issues, for anyone else to send their ballots. I will check in tomorrow morning and see what we got. Have a neo-noirish night!

Noon eastern, right? Quick turnaround. And countdowns not countdown. Plural!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Noon eastern, right? Quick turnaround. And countdowns not countdown. Plural!
I posted the time for the other one in the other thread. I have insider information.

Per usual the list host(s) are gonna be waiting on me for setup stuff, compounded by both work and family stuff this week, but I'll try to get to it quickly. Direct all frustration or impatience to me rather than them, though.

We closed with 47 ballots, which I think is a respectable number for a specialty countdown. Citizen got a bit more, which is better yet. Thanks to all for the support. We'll get busy now to prepare everything.

Welp, I said I wouldn't do it and yet, here I am checking the "elegibility" of 100 entries 10 down, 90 to go

The trick is not minding
Welp, I said I wouldn't do it and yet, here I am checking the "elegibility" of 100 entries 10 down, 90 to go
Some of mine may be questionable, but I literally double checked them in IMDb list of Neo noir from the 80’s and 90’s.

Well, I just finished checking the eligibility of all 100 films and you all definitely did your homework, people. At least as far as them all complying with the eligibility; I still think some of you will hiss at some of the films that made it but well, you would've hissed anyway

Well, I just finished checking the eligibility of all 100 films and you all definitely did your homework, people. At least as far as them all complying with the eligibility; I still think some of you will hiss at some of the films that made it but well, you would've hissed anyway

Rather than the usual predictions that go on with these type of threads, we should probably start predicting what we think will be some of the most left ballpark (in terms of eligibility) entries.

From this warning, I'm going to guess one/some of the Nolan Batman movies. The Dark Knight probably the one most people would have voted for.

I was running through the countdown and PM'd a couple of you, regarding some questionable picks that were apparently mistakes. I will appreciate if those that I PM'd reply as soon as possible, so I can fix things on my side. Thanks!

Ugh. I do not miss running these things.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra