Rank the Mission Impossible Films

Tools    

M:I-III = I know this is a bit of a hot take, but it's easily my favorite. I love how it pushes back on the Ethan Hunt-centric feel of the previous one and tries to bring back the team aspect; with Ethan at center, of course, but still very much a team movie. I love how personal and grounded the stakes feel, without sacrificing great action setpieces (the bridge ambush is still one of my favorite action sequences). Last but not least, Philip Seymour Hoffman. Best villain of the franchise.

M:I = I've seen this film more times than I can count on; by choice but also because I used to put it to my students back when I was a teacher to talk about computer security measures and whatnot Anyway, I think it still holds up extremely well. It has a great cast, lots of intrigue, and easily the most iconic setpiece from the franchise. Minor issues with the character of Emmanuelle Beart, but other than that, this is a fine spy action/thriller.

Fallout = In a way, it feels like the "culmination" of the arc they started in Part 3, at least regarding the Michelle Monaghan character. It feels grandiose in terms of the world they work in, while also feeling grounded in Ethan's burdens as a team leader and his drive to protect the people he cares for. Cavill is a great addition, and Solomon Lane is a fine baddie.

Ghost Protocol = It continues to build up on the foundations of the third one, with a very strong team element as well as some great action setpieces. I like the addition of Jeremy Renner, even if they didn't follow through with his character. My main gripe with this is that the villain is so underwhelming. I really don't care about him.

Rogue Nation = My feelings on this one are more or less the same as Ghost Protocol to the point that I tend to get them mixed up. Take from that what you may. It maintains a strong core of agents in Renner, Rhames, and Pegg as it continues to push that team element, and adds Rebecca Ferguson to the mix. I like it a lot, but it's not one that has stuck in my mind that much.

M:I-II = As basic and generic as this response might sound, this one is at the bottom pretty far from the rest. I saw this in theaters and even then, I was puzzled by it. It might be a somewhat solid action film, but as a M:I sequel, it just doesn't work. The team aspect is non-existent, the way the action flows doesn't feel natural, and I just don't care about the bad guy's motivations or the way the story is built around the stunts and action setpieces. I've been meaning to rewatch it, but overall, I just don't care.

MI 2
MI 1

I found the subsequent movies to be very forgettable.. maybe they were slicker and more stylish but it doesn't really feel the same thing.

What the actual what?

Can I revise this because I don't know what the **** I'm saying.

1. Ghost Protocol.. for pretty much the same reasons @The Rodent rated it so low, I kept thinking how they would outdo the previous stunt and when it would end and then some other insane shit would happen, the auto-car park at the end just blew my mind.

2. Fallout.. not far behind, just reviewed on the "rate the last movie" thread. Cruise and Caville skydive into a ****ing thunderstorm, what the **** more do you want, mega!

3. 3... PSH goes so dark in this one, the way he looks at Hunt as he is escaping in the helicopter gives me chills, such an intense performance

Here's where things get murky, I barely remember 1, it surely needs a rewatch, I'm remember enjoying it way back in the day.

2. Erm I actually remember watching this as a young'un and thinking it was way cool 🤣but catching bits and pieces of it since it seems pretty ****ing awful like everyone says and out of sync with every other M:I movie, it's pretty sweet though that Cruise states this was the one that he totally gave himself to the directors vision so that's why it really stands alone and is the oddity of the series, bless woo.

Rogue Nation needs a rewatch.

Mission: Impossible 3 (2006)
Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023)
Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011)
Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation (2015)
Mission: Impossible 1 (1996)
Mission: Impossible – Fallout (2018)
Mission: Impossible 2 (2000)

Mission: Impossible 3 (2006)
Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023)
Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011)
Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation (2015)
Mission: Impossible 1 (1996)
Mission: Impossible – Fallout (2018)
Mission: Impossible 2 (2000)

Are the best at the top or bottom?

Cool. I assumed MI 2 wasn't your favorite, but you never know.

I'm in minority but I still think the original one from 1996 is the best in the series! Part 2 is trash. Part 3 is criminally underrated plus I loved his teammates in that film. To bad they never came back. Part 4 was somehow entertaining but I didn't care much about 5 & 6

I'm in minority but I still think the original one from 1996 is the best in the series!

I would have to agree. They've made some good ones (and a couple of not so good ones) since then, but the first M:I film is still the best one.

1. Mission: Impossible (1996)
  2. Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)
  3. Mission: Impossible III (2006)
  4. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)
  5. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)
  6. Mission: Impossible II (2000)
  7. Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One (2003)

There were so many that I kinda mix them in my head I know for sure though that in the first one Jon Voight played and I liked it. That's why I continued watching them. I think I've seen them all, but if you ask me what happened in the 4th or in the 6th, I would have to either watch them again, or use the IMDb to refresh my memory