Just saw another 'Chucky' movie is out - I thought that franchise was banned?

Tools    

Never seen a single CHUCKY movie, but all the copies got taken off the shelves over here in Ireland and Britain after the horrific murder of little Jamie Bulger aged 2, by Jon Venables and Robert Thompson both aged 10. Not sure if they are back now?

Its feeble to blame a FICTIONAL psychotic doll for two inherently evil little bastards doing what they did. The details are unprintable but I'll leave a wiki link for anybody interested who doesn't know what I'm talking about. But somewhere down the track that movie got heat over that terrible day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Bulger

Doubt the killing made headlines in the States back in 1993 as it happened in England, but it shocked Ireland and Great Britain - and I don't think anybody over here who followed the case will ever come to terms with it.

The original film was banned in Britain for a while, not just for the Bulger killing, there was a big thing about Child's Play as there were a lot of kids seeing it due to it having a "toy" as the main character.

They lifted the ban though years and years ago after a Court found that the film wasn't responsible for anything untoward.

The original film was banned in Britain for a while, not just for the Bulger killing, there was a big thing about Child's Play as there were a lot of kids seeing it due to it having a "toy" as the main character.

They lifted the ban though years and years ago after a Court found that the film wasn't responsible for anything untoward.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. Is it worth a watch for sheer comedy? Or is it plain woeful?

Another myth, the films have never been banned in Britain. The silly shop owners just decided to take the film off the shelves at the time the James Bulger thing happened after all the uproar in the media at the time - and it also came out that the killers had not even seen the third film... people just wanted something to blame because the country was in such shock that two very very young children could kidnap and torture a toddler to death.

All films are available to buy on dvd and blu-ray now and have been available for years.

I've got the new one coming through in a few days and can't wait to see it, suppose to be rather good after all the hate it got when it was announced.

Another myth, the films have never been banned in Britain. The silly shop owners just decided to take the film off the shelves at the time the James Bulger thing happened after all the uproar in the media at the time - and it also came out that the killers had not even seen the third film... people just wanted something to blame because the country was in such shock that two very very young children could kidnap and torture a toddler to death.

All films are available to buy on dvd and blu-ray now and have been available for years.

I've got the new one coming through in a few days and can't wait to see it, suppose to be rather good after all the hate it got when it was announced.
It was a very emotive time in England, and indeed, even in my own country, when that little child was brutally murdered. It only took the mention of a movie to set the blue torch paper I guess. A bit like M Manson being responsible for the Colombine massacre - when Klebald and Harris didn't even listen to the artist. I think one of them may have owned a CD of Manson, but certainly never paid much heed to him; the blame game needed a non mainstream patsy.

So, which Chucky do I check out? Which one is the best?

Stick with the first film. The sequel isn't too bad.

The rest are kinda like the Police Academy sequels, they became parodies and comedies of what they were trying to be.

So, which Chucky do I check out? Which one is the best?
First and second definitely. Can't really remember the third as I watched it in college and was not paying much attention to it. Then they go downhill in my eyes as I didn't like the switch to more horror/comedy. So if you like the sound of the comedy side you might want to check out Bride of Chucky and Seed of Chucky.

That's why I'm looking forwards to Curse of Chucky, it's back to a more darker tone.