Favorite Romance Movies...i.e."chick flicks"

Tools    

I thought Bridget Jones was just another ordinary member of the British rom-com parade. Nothing special. I don't know who the shots of Renee's cellulite were for, but it certainly wasn't for us men. That was revolting.

I'll compare it to Sliding Doors, just not as good.

In both movies, I fell in love with the guy instead of the girl - Colin Firth and John Hannah. But maybe that's the point since they're aimed at the female market.

I noticed that too

I'll watch just about anything... but for romance, it would have to depend on my mood, the actor(s), and genre: comedy, drama, action, etc.

Sandra Bullock flicks are particularly fun/hilarious romantic comedies:
While You Were Sleeping
Miss Congeniality
Love Potion No. 9
Demolition Man (as a supporting actor)
Practical Magic?
Two Weeks Notice... which is opening December 20th!

If you liked Audrey Tautou as Amélie Poulin, then you might want to try Le Battement d'Ailes du Papillon (English Title: "Happenstance"). It's a decent french flick, but in the end, I'd still prefer the Jean-Pierre Jeunet whimsical/light touch as opposed to Laurent Firode's.

Drama... mmm, I HIGHLY recommend Neil LaBute's interpretation of A.S. Byatt's Possession. I give it a 9 out of 10... partially because it's directed by such a paradoxically loathed and venerated director. It has its flaws, but hell, I can't wait until it's released on DVD. It's truly a romance done properly... not to mention (again) surprisingly well. *wan grin*

The five-hour BBC version of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice--also starring Jennifer Ehle. Superb.

More Jane Austen with both versions of Emma... the Gwyneth Paltrow version or Kate Beckinsale in the miniseries. Oh hell, anything Jane Austen is excellent for romance, romantic comedies, etc. Take your pick of the collection.

Speaking of Gwyneth, someone mentioned Sliding Doors, but I'd say Great Expectations with Ethan Hawke.

While I'm playing nth degrees of separation, why not Gattaca? But, I guess that doesn't really constitute as a sterotypical "chick flick".

Oh wait, I'm forgetting Moulin Rouge. Last of the Mohicans? GAHHHHHH--it's all blurring together!!!

I am having a nervous breakdance
I remember when me and my buddy were forced by these two girls to rent "When a Man Loves a Woman" with Meg Ryan (who else?) and Andy Garcia. We said to each other "Man, two hours of sobbing corny hell!". It was sobbing allright. Me and my buddy cried like babies.

I also love "Clueless" but that's more like a high school movie, isn't it, even if it's very romantic too.

I guess it all has to do with which mood you're in. Sometimes I couldn't care less about it even if it's a very tender and beautifully well done romance scene. On the other hand, sometimes I find myself alone in my bed, with a grm hangover, crying rivers in front of something like "Beverly Hills 90210". Isn't that pathetic?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I guess these would be considered “Chick Flicks” (I hate that term)…

Pride and Prejudice (BBC version)
Emma
Sense and Sensibility
Much Ado About Nothing
Shakespeare in Love
Mansfield Park
Fried Green Tomatoes
Steel Magnolias
Amelia
A Life Less Ordinary
Chocolat
Meet Joe Black
Ghost (I liked the part when the bad guy got dragged off)

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Romeo & Juliet
Chocolat
Prince Of Thieves
Titanic

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

the english patient.

Put me in your pocket...
Shame on you Toosie....romance isn't overrated.

Here's my list of my favorites.....

Romance
Amelie (2001)
A Walk in the Clouds (1995)
Emma (1996) (and the 1997 A&E miniseries)
Jerry Maguire (1996)
Pride and Prejudice (1940) (and the 1995 A&E miniseries)
Persuasion (1995)
Sense and Sensibility (1995)
Random Harvest (1942)

Romantic Comedies
A Walk in the Clouds (1995)
Bachelor Mother (1939)
Bringing up Baby (1938)
Bridget Jones's Diary (2001)
Holiday (1938)
It Happened One Night (1934)
Moonstruck (1987)
Much Ado About Nothing (1993)
My Favorite Wife (1940)
Sleepless in Seattle *(1993)
The Awful Truth (1937)
The Parent Trap (1998)
There’s Something About Mary (1998)
Roxanne (1987)
You've Got Mail *(1998)
While You Were Sleeping (1995)

Romantic Musicals and Animation
The Gay Divorcee *(1934),
Top Hat (1935),
Swing Time (1936),
Shall We Dance *(1937) *
The Pirate (1948),
On the Town (1949),
Take Me Out to the Ball Game (1949),
An American in Paris (1951),
Brigadoon (1954),
Les Girls (1957)
Gigi (1958)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)
The Sound of Music (1965)

Anastasia (1997)
Beauty and the Beast (1991)
Lady and the Tramp (1955)
Shrek (2001)
Sleeping Beauty (1959)
Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs ] (1937)

Adventures with Romance
Captain Blood (1935)
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)
North to Alaska (1960)
The Princess Bride (1987)

There are still some others that I haven't seen and would like to.

Originally posted by Caitlyn

Ghost (I liked the part when the bad guy got dragged off)

That's not the chick part!

That was the only redeeming quality for us guys!

I remember Spielberg's 'Always' as being a very good tear-jerker.

Alex DeLarge

what I do I do because I like to do

crazed out movie freak
OK, I am probably gonna catch a slap for this one, but I didn't think Steele Magnolia's was that bad. Anyone agree?

Originally posted by Toose

That's not the chick part!

That was the only redeeming quality for us guys!

You mean that wasn’t a chick part... …. but... but... that was the really cool part…

And Raziel1... Olympia Dukakis, Tom Skerritt, and Shirley MacLaine were hilarious in Steel Magnolias...

01. Casablanca [1942 | Curtiz]
02. Monsieur Hire [1989 | Leconte]
03. Punch-Drunk Love [2002 | Anderson]
04. La Ronde [1950 | Ophüls]
05. Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain [2001 | Jeunet]

Bruce Campbell Groupie
I like you've got mail, practical magic and city of angels.

I loved How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days and loved it. So cute. Kate Hudson is great. I want to see Le Divorce next.

Sliding Doors is always a favorite.

Originally Posted by Raziel1
OK, I am probably gonna catch a slap for this one, but I didn't think Steele Magnolia's was that bad. Anyone agree?
Hey you are right but I can come up with one that will get a bigger slap

Baz Lurman's

STRICTLY BALLROOM