Snakes on a Plane

→ in
Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally posted on my site, but since it's such a hyped out movie, I thought I'd kick start MoFo's reviews of it here:

Snakes on a Plane delivers. Period.

That’s the only question anyone wants answered after months and months of hype machine out of control. So if that was all you wanted to know, you can stop reading now.

It seemed there were only two possible outcomes. Either Snakes on a Plane was going to be so pathetic that its misery became the enjoyment (read: Tail Sting) or it was going to be so off-the-wall (read: Eight Legged Freaks) that its oddball antics would win horror geeks over, but probably leave regular theater goers scoffing it up. I don’t think anyone was ever really in the camp that David R. Ellis would serve up a movie that wasn’t just decent, but was actually honest-to-God good filmmaking.

First, for some qualifiers. When I say good filmmaking, I’m not talking Battleship Potemkin - I’m not an ******* - I’m talking filmmaking so precise in its goal that its successful execution has to be admired. Making an entire theater burst into simultaneous applause mid-movie is not an easy thing to do.

Second, think of Snakes on a Plane as a launching point for Samuel L Jackson’s character, Agent Flynn, to get into all kinds of crazy ass heroics. Think of him as a new John McClane. But if Blanks on a Blank becomes a template for a series of Flynn misfortunes, just like the Die Hard series, then Snakes on a Plane isn’t the equivalent of the first Die Hard. It’s more like Die Hard 2. Now depending on how much you hate Die Hard 2, that may seem like an insult, but it isn’t. Renny Harlin may have directed it, and it may not take home the trophy, but that’s one fun flick - and that is exactly what Snakes is.

As their title implies, John Heffernan and Sebastian Gutierrez’ script promises snakes on a plane and it provides snakes on a plane with all the accompanied chaos. Sure, you could have sat down and made a list of all the scenes that would probably end up in the movie (mile high club, dead pilots, flight systems failing, etc etc), but there is still plenty of crowd pleasing surprises. And what is familiar never feels as filler as it really is. Though the additional, R-rating requisite nudity woven into the aforementioned mile high club scene lingers far longer than it should and threatens to become just plain awkward (Did I really just complain about seeing a great rack for longer than I needed to?)

The CGI work on the snakes, which is probably something like 93% of the shots, is functional, but it never looks all that real and often times does revert to Anaconda-era digital. However, once you get used to their far-less-than-real aesthetic, your brain shuts off and just enjoys the mayhem.

And the mayhem does not disappoint. The gore is on hand, and while it may be dumbed down in nature (going for the shocks, rather than the nightmares), it is impressive and often times completely unexpected. There are enough pauses in between fits of serpent hordes for the movie to calm down and let in some fresh air, which really helps maintain genuine interest in it even as Sam Jackson does a horror-patented, Airplane equivalent of ‘finding the generator’.

And speaking of Jackson, to say he is the glue that holds Snakes on a Plane together would be like saying Jesus was kind of a good guy. Samuel L. Jackson is everything to this movie. With anyone else in the role it wouldn’t have worked. Period.

The supporting cast is great. Julianna Margulies is charming and attractive as the main stewardess. Kenan Thompson proves that he’s just a little bit better than his TV work. Plus, there are some great appearances by Lin Shaye and David Koechner. The only exception is Nathan Phillips (the guy from Wolf Creek), who couldn’t act scared if someone just shot him in the kneecap.

The movie has a really fun, energetic score by Trevor Rabin, which honestly surprised me. I was expecting to hear a Clear Channel sponsored soundtrack, so to have an original, instrumental score felt like a special treat.

And then of course there is David R. Ellis. The man really knows how to please an audience. Sure, the title, the absurd script (which makes perfect sense within its own logic, but not Earth logic) and Samuel L. Jackson did a lion’s share of the work, but the movie wouldn’t have been as invigorating as it was without the guy responsible for that jaw dropping pile-up scene in Final Destination 2.

So yes, Snakes on a Plane is more than a good-because-it’s-so-bad movie. It’s not even just a guilty pleasure, it is genuinely entertaining. Whether that will last through the ages or not is an entirely separate matter - it could certainly have been improved upon - but as a means for having an absolute blast at a packed movie theater, you can do little better these days than Snakes on a Plane.

Carlsberg don't make films, but if they did, they'd be Snakes on a Plane.

It is a really good film and I expected it to be cheesy, silly, and just something to laugh at. All of the hype was worth it. I'd go see it again. I thought it was also suspenseful and scary. To me it's a horror film. Lots of people die, mostly in gruesome ways. I thought characters were just gonna go "Ewww! Snakes!" for most of the film. Don't miss out on this.

I do not know what to expect from this movie. Whether I would like this or not. I have heard from my friends that this is a good movie others say it is not good. Not that excited to watch.

Jae
Movie Fanatic
The hype was great for SOAP. I think it made it even more enjoyable opening day with all the SOAP fanatics in the theater.

chuck norris is amazing
this movie looks so awsome i cant wait to see it

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
It is a really good film and I expected it to be cheesy, silly, and just something to laugh at. All of the hype was worth it. I'd go see it again. I thought it was also suspenseful and scary. To me it's a horror film. Lots of people die, mostly in gruesome ways. I thought characters were just gonna go "Ewww! Snakes!" for most of the film. Don't miss out on this.
yea it was a reely good film...but all my friends hated it lol...im like the only one that liked it

Someone needs their fill.
Originally Posted by Randal Graves
yea it was a reely good film...but all my friends hated it lol...im like the only one that liked it
It's ok, you're part of the cult.

Beware The Probe!
I've heard too many negative things about this one so I won't rush to the theater to see it, I'll just wait till the DVD.

The wierd thing is everyone on the internet seems to love the movie (and most even before they saw it which is...wierd) but everyone I've asked in real life hates it.

The fact that I usually like cheesy movies has me curious.

Originally Posted by Sci-Fi-Guy

Mostly cause it's a campy style film and i'm betting that people going into it, really didnt' prepare themselves for that or just plain hates cheese.

Success is the only Earthly judge..
Well, I got everything out of this movie that i expected to...Which isn't a lot. The run-down of what I expected is as follows: Samuel L. Jackson to get on a plane, cuss A LOT and then kill a few snakes.

It wasn't much of a movie though I must say that it was indeed original.

I enjoyed snakes as much as the next, but come on, lets have no illusions that it's a product of strong tallent or anything, the whole thing just revels in it's low brow stupidity and that's how it should be enjoyed. I'll admire a movie that's "successful at achieving it's goals" when those goals are actually impressive/admirable. I guess if it succeeded in any artistic level it was in proving that intentionally bad movies can be almost as funny as unintentionally bad ones.

still, did anyone else spend the movie thinking of ways it could have been better (worse)?

such as -

an evil boss snake who samuel l. jackson has to fight.
twilight zone ending where they exit the plane to find snakes in human/ airport staff drag (there are humans on this plane!!)

and what was up with the disappointing kickboxer?

Well I am certainly part of the mother f**kin snakes on a mother f**kin plane cult. This movie was such crap, that I absolutely fell in love with its complete disregard for any typical Hollywood conventions. The fact that it wasn't screened for critics made it even better. It was cheesy, cheap, and over the top in ways that would even make someone from Troma laugh (ex: the snake vision which was hilarious) but that was all part of its B-level charm. This is a film that, when you are at your very laziest sitting on the couch just begging for something unchallenging to watch, you can say f**k it, lets watch Snakes on a Plane.

I pretty much wasted 6.50....

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I have yet to watch it. Not because I don't want to, just never have a chance to. I was very surprised, however, when the reviews started coming out about SOAP. I figured as Peter said, the hype machine would've turned it into something more along the lines of Superman Returns. Not saying that Superman Returns was a total flop, but the hype for it was exceedingly more than what the actual movie was pulling in.

This, however, has not been the case with SOAP.

Two cents deposited. Enjoy.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I love cheesy movies, and it has my man Sammy in it, but I still have had no desire to check it out. I think it is the title.

I was thinking about renting Snakes on a Train last night but found out it was by Asylum Films and I hate Asylum.

I'm lost. I haven't heard of this. Is it a spoof, or what? Where the hell have I been?
OK, I just went to IMDB.com . . .

A powerful Mayan curse causes snakes to hatch in the stomach of a young woman, eating her inside out. She needs to get from Mexico to Los Angeles in order to have the curse lifted by a powerful Mayan shaman. On the brink of death she boards a train headed for L.A. Unfortunately the passengers are now trapped on board, and left to fall victim to these vicious, venomous vipers.

My god, that sounds awful. lmao

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by Ðèstîñy
I'm lost. I haven't heard of this. Is it a spoof, or what? Where the hell have I been?
It's not a spoof, it's from Asylum Films, a company which rushes movies into production that piggy back off the concepts of higher profile films. They normally come out on DVD within a week or two of the other film's release. I really recommend reading this interview with the head of Asylum films, it's very entertaining and surprisingly inciteful.

Speaking of Snakes on a Train, I'll probably actually watch it sometime this weekend. I was going to last night, but watched I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer instead.

I make good film choices.