Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)

I'll get right to the point here: I loved this movie. In fact, this one comes in just behind the very first one for me with sheer entertainment. Starts off great and never lets up. We see a young boy going to great lengths to remove a curse from his dad and never gives up the pursuit, though the next time we see him it's nine-years later. He's now played by Brenton Thwaites as Henry and he's very earnest in his portrayal. Next we see a young lady jailed as a witch when she's only a woman studying science, which in the "Pirates" days makes her a witch! Her name is Carina and she's played by one of the most beautiful young women working today, Kaya Scodelario. She is very good and completely appealing with her beauty and raspy voice. Her pursuit of where she comes from (she's an orphan) dovetails with Henry's story and they have much in common, including an attraction that neither will admit to, of course.

But It's not a "Pirates" movie without Jack Sparrow and Johnny Depp is back and having a blast playing him. He is caught in a compromising position in front of an entire town square, with Jack's crew backing him up, but just barely. There's a great chase with horses pulling the shell of an entire building (just go with it) through the town with Jack trying his best to keep up, while the British Navy is giving chase. There's a terrifically funny sequence with Jack caught in a guillotine that's hit by cannon fire, comes loose and spins end over end, with the blade sliding towards Jack's neck, then pulled back by gravity every revolution.

Lots of stuff like this all through the movie, with the bad guy, the undead Salazar (Javier Bardem) chasing Jack because of something Jack did to curse the creepy Captain decades earlier. He and his crew will stop at nothing to get revenge on Jack. Geoffrey Rush is back as Captain Barbossa and even though he's first seen living the high life, wallowing in treasure with his crew, there is one treasure that eludes him. Some people from the previous movies are involved although even if others reveal them, I won't. It just adds to the fun when you see them. There's no spoiler in saying that a major part of the plot is the search for Poseidon's trident, which will give the owner complete power of the seas. Everyone has a stake. Awesome special effects give the movie a super punch. I loved the undead sharks quite a bit. There's just too much to get into, the movie is so packed. But it's packed with total fun. I loved it and feel not a bit of guilt. I have a hard time recollecting what even happened in the last film but this one makes me want to watch it again already.

Unregistered User
Blade Runner (2049) -
a bit gutted by this. I was never the biggest fan of the original but my rewatch last week definitely gave me a renewed appreciation for it and peaked my interest even further for this. It started off spectacularly well but the last hour or so really dragged for me. Its gorgeous to look at, no doubt, but I just wish its runtime was a lot shorter.

It (1990) -
- This hasn't aged well at all.

The Fits (2015) -

The Vietnam War (2017)
Admittedly it was Ken Burns' name here that got convinced me to watch this and I'm so glad I did. This is a 10 episode series that contains some of the most amazing and harrowing photography of the War in Vietnam that I have ever seen.

Blade Runner (2049) -
a bit gutted by this. I was never the biggest fan of the original but my rewatch last week definitely gave me a renewed appreciation for it and peaked my interest even further for this. It started off spectacularly well but the last hour or so really dragged for me. Its gorgeous to look at, no doubt, but I just wish its runtime was a lot shorter.

It (1990) -
- This hasn't aged well at all.

The Fits (2015) -

The Vietnam War (2017)
Admittedly it was Ken Burns' name here that got convinced me to watch this and I'm so glad I did. This is a 10 episode series that contains some of the most amazing and harrowing photography of the War in Vietnam that I have ever seen.

Where did you watch the Ken Burns documentary? And how long is each episode?

Gutted you didn't like BladeRunner 2049 more. I was quite satisfied.I enjoyed the Fits too although I wasn't totally sure if it was just her daydreaming or her actual experiences sort of metaphorized in a tale.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Wasnt fussed and dont know how to rate it. Not terrible; nothing special. Husband liked it.

The Wild Women Of Wongo (James L. Wolcott, 1958)
+
Understandably snubbed by the Oscars but really should have fared better at the International Cheese Awards

The Vietnam War (2017)

I really want to see this one. I've thoroughly enjoyed all the Ken Burns documentaries I've seen.

Unregistered User
Where did you watch the Ken Burns documentary? And how long is each episode?

Gutted you didn't like BladeRunner 2049 more. I was quite satisfied.I enjoyed the Fits too although I wasn't totally sure if it was just her daydreaming or her actual experiences sort of metaphorized in a tale.

It was on BBC4 and each episode was 1 hour I think. Highly recommended if you can get it.

Yeah, gutted myself over 2049 but saying that, I do want to see it again. Perhaps when expectation is lowered I might enjoy it more.
I liked The Fits in parts, especially the ambiguousness of it and I thought the lead's performance was terrific. It had potential to be so much better. For me the lack of dialogue didn't really fit (pun not intended).

Eyes Without A Face

Man the lead up to Chritiane's reveal is amazing, if you have the slightest idea what this is about then you know exactly what is going on but it takes on such a sad, melancholy and dark tone. Then her mask is so confusing to me, it's creepy as hell but at the same time there's something enchanting about it. Well that's partially the music in the first mask reveal and the way she is slinking about the house, but yeah that's largely how i felt about it throughout. Confusion is something i felt during alot of this actually, like just up to the first reveal her father confuses me so much. I should definitely instantly think of him as bad or at least not good; he caused the crash, he's controlling something that played a part in the crash and from Christiane's words was a problem before he actually had a reason to control her, pretending the other guys daughter was his, etc. I don't know though it may have been Pierre Brasseur's performance but i wasn't completely against him at this time. I knew i would have soon enough because i knew there was truly nefarious stuff to come or else surely he'd have no reason to hide her. After that it does get messed up but more than anything i found it tragic and haunting. Edith Scob was fantastic, one of my favourite things in the film was the way she moved about. Oddly beautiful film, has replaced Deep Red as my favourite horror watch this month.

+

Inside Out (Pete Docter & Ronnie Del Carmen, 2015)
+
Left me with mixed feelings

Which were inside and which were out?
Inside: Fear and Joy
Benched: Sadness
Outside: Disgust and Anger

Ghost Story

This wasn't very good. Read the novel a few months back, enjoyed it. This wasn't horrible but it didn't do much for me and it certainly wasn't a good adaptation. It failed to match the tone or recreate most of the highpoints of the book which to be fair can't be easy, there wasn't anything much else here that i liked though. Mostly i was bored. The effects were atrocious, this is over 35 years old now but i don't think they are just dated i think they were straight up terrible. That first death is one of the worst things i've ever seen; i so wanted to use a picture from that but the guy is fully nude in it haha. The acting was mixed if we are being generous, yeah not a fan. Maybe if i hadn't read the book i'd have liked it a little more.

That's good to know. I just requested it from my library, only there's 112 other request. At that rate I'll be posting about it, next year
Citizen, stream it on PBS.

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/home/

Getting addicted to Joe Swanberg/Jake Johnson movies.

Not as good as the director’s first movie about the girl who had an abortion, but worth watching.

Very good weird movie from Spain.

Very well-acted. It’s Shakespeare so heavy going at times but I did finish it.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Vietnam, eh?

Who wins this time?

(I'd recommend the Douglas MacArthur collection.. It's not as pro-war as I thought it'd be, but I heard Burns' was.)