Joker Vs. Joker

Tools    

Jack Nicholson as the Joker was exactly that. It was Jack Nicholson being the Joker. That's the one thing about Jack that happens with the majority of his roles. Whether intentional or otherwise, he absorbs every role and they become him. I was watching The Shining the other night and to me Jack Torrence would have been a complete character had any other actor taken the role. It felt as though watching him was like watching what Jack Nicholson would do in that situation. The same goes for his Joker in Tim Burton's Batman and many other roles. This is all not to say I think he's a bad actor, on the contrary I think he brings something to his roles no other actor possibly could. That's what makes his so magnificent.

On the other hand you have Heath Ledger. A man I scoffed at and mocked endlessly when I heard this choice. Heath was a character actor who played curly haired pretty boys with accents. Then July 18, 2008 came. I ate my words for a month. Heath completely embodied everything the Joker is. He was psychotic. He was maniacal. His presence on screen couldn't be denied or avoided. He was, to paraphrase, "an unstoppable force" and it showed in every single scene he was in. The key that made Ledger for me was the countless times I was left asking myself "who is this actor?". Ledger was so good, I didn't even know it was him. The Joker was the Joker on screen. Not an actor. Alfred was Michael Caine and Lucius Fox was Morgan Freeman, even Batman was Christian Bale. The Joker was the Joker. I've never felt that way about very many characters on film and so my hat's off to Ledger for producing one of the single finest performances in cinema history for that very specific reason.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Jack Nicholson as the Joker was exactly that. It was Jack Nicholson being the Joker. That's the one thing about Jack that happens with the majority of his roles. Whether intentional or otherwise, he absorbs every role and they become him. I was watching The Shining the other night and to me Jack Torrence would have been a complete character had any other actor taken the role. It felt as though watching him was like watching what Jack Nicholson would do in that situation. The same goes for his Joker in Tim Burton's Batman and many other roles. This is all not to say I think he's a bad actor, on the contrary I think he brings something to his roles no other actor possibly could. That's what makes his so magnificent.

On the other hand you have Heath Ledger. A man I scoffed at and mocked endlessly when I heard this choice. Heath was a character actor who played curly haired pretty boys with accents. Then July 18, 2008 came. I ate my words for a month. Heath completely embodied everything the Joker is. He was psychotic. He was maniacal. His presence on screen couldn't be denied or avoided. He was, to paraphrase, "an unstoppable force" and it showed in every single scene he was in. The key that made Ledger for me was the countless times I was left asking myself "who is this actor?". Ledger was so good, I didn't even know it was him. The Joker was the Joker on screen. Not an actor. Alfred was Michael Caine and Lucius Fox was Morgan Freeman, even Batman was Christian Bale. The Joker was the Joker. I've never felt that way about very many characters on film and so my hat's off to Ledger for producing one of the single finest performances in cinema history for that very specific reason.
While I don't agree with you, I really like your point of view.

How can you even compare them,their characters are absolutely different.

Heath Ledger. Both were very good, but I don't even think The Joker is Jack's best villain role. Personally, I prefer Jack Torrance in The Shining, Col. Jessep in A Few Good Men, or Frank Costello in The Departed.

Nicholson's performance was terrific for the film he was in, but I think Ledger really nailed a perfect balance between believable criminal and larger-than-life monster.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Nicholson was a Cesar Romero style Joker. If you read my reviews you'll see what I think of Ledger, and in my Top 40 Villains you'll see what I think of Nicholson v Ledger.

As Gabrielle said, they are different takes on the character but Ledger has much more of an impact.
Nicholson makes his impact with the tone of the original Tim Burton film, Ledger makes an impact with the reality that Nolan was after, and for that, I'd say Ledger is the better Joker. He's much more memorable.

Put it this way... if Ledger hadn't been so good in the role, why does every movie forum have a thread that has to compare them??