Sherlock Holmes

Tools    

I highly recommend the "Complete Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes" CD box set that is the one and only time the entire canon of Holmes stories has ever been adapted with the same actors playing Holmes and Watson in every one.

It's HUGE and expensive but quite frankly, away from some of the Jeremy Brett TV versions, this is the best way to discover Holmes...even more so then the actual stories as far as some episodes are concerned (like the excellent broadening out of the 'Bee-Keeper period' Holmes tale "The Lion's Mane" to now include Watson).

They are superbly acted and crafted BBC Radio plays that faithfully adapt every single Holmes story (including the 4 novels) and actually add some excellent little details of their own to flesh out the weaker stories.

Clive Merrison is Holmes and the late Michael Williams is Watson and only Jeremy Brett at his best can surpass these versions of the characters. In fact Williams may be the best Watson ever in any medium.

I'm not rude...Just honest 'n' forthright.

And disagreeing had nothing to do with it...

You blatantly and sarcastically slammed someone's informed views, on a subject they actually know about and have personally experienced (the World of Sherlock Holmes in all its many forms), with crudely delivered, ill-informed views that you admitted yourself you had to dredge up second hand as you have no actual experience of that which you argue about (that same 'world of Sherlock Holmes in all its forms').

Hence the neg rep.
But please...feel free to give it me back.
I care not.
It is most definately not a 'two pipe problem' (oh.....just look it up!)

I am burdened with glorious purpose
You're rude. Your post above is rude. You have a lot of nerve giving someone negative rep because you think they are sarcastic or they "slammed" someone's view. That is what you do. Do you read your own posts? If you think that is "honesty" and not "rudeness," then well, you and I have different definitions of those words.

As to the womanizing, that "research" I did showed he had little use for women. I was obviously wrong about that.. I noticed that later. As to the rest of it, I was frustrated because you jumped in here and just starting yelling about how nothing in the film seemed remotely close to the character and well, I don't see it that way. I'll leave it at that because having a "discussion" with you would be impossible.

But since I have not read all the actual ****** stories like you HAVE, I will no longer post anything in this thread. I'll just go see the movie and most likely enjoy it.

I'll just go see the movie
and most likely enjoy it.
Well of this I have no doubt.

It does after all seem aimed at those who obviously have no past interest in, or any knowledge of any kind whatsoever of... Sherlock Holmes.

you jumped in here and just starting yelling about how nothing in the film seemed remotely close to the character and well, I don't see it that way.
You mean to say I dared to post on the thread, and posted on the thread views (very short views actually) based on knowledge of what I was actually having views about........
And you happened to have a problem with that because you obviously thought the thread was all your own property and then decided to rudely and sarcastically attack those views by repeating 2nd hand scraps of information dredged from somewhere else because actually...you don't have any of your own information, let alone any actual knowledge, about what I'm supposedly so wrong about.

Seems like a negative rep situation to me.

Serious question: Can any British Director any Actor please any Brit? You guys and gals are forever bashing the ever loving sh*t out of your countrymen. What's up with that?

Serious question: Can any British Director any Actor please any Brit? You guys and gals are forever bashing the ever loving sh*t out of your countrymen. What's up with that?
What a bizarre conclusion to come to over ONE film.

Speaking for myself, I actually love Ritchie's first 2 films to pieces!

As in fact I love many British films, director's and actors from all eras, genres and styles.

So I really have no idea what you mean.

Why would you think that's a conclusion I came to over one film? That's a pretty bizarre conclusion of your own. Poke your nose around the board. There's plenty of Brit bashing. It's just an observation. Hence the question.

Good to see you enjoyed his first two films. I do as well.

So if you don't like someones work, but they happen to have been born in the same country as you, you have to like them or not voice your opinion? What up with that?

Sorry, but that was my answer. I don't 'bash Brits' just because they're British, but then, I'm not going to praise anyone that I don't think is worth it and, by God, if there's one Brit I haven't thought worth it over the last 10 years or so, it's Guy Ritchie.

Seriously though, do you like people just because they're from a patch of ground you're familiar with? Be it your country, state, town, street, whatever?

Fair enough. I only asked because I see a pretty large amount of it and it seems to me it mostly comes from Brits. I may be totally wrong and just haven't seen all of the positive stuff you guys and gals say about your countrymen and women.

If so, then I apologize for even bringing it up.

You may be right, PW. If that's the case, then I couldn't answer for anyone else, but I'd like to hear their reasons too, if they're not the same as mine.

Crapholes to it!

An upcoming XBox game looks more interesting actually.

The sometimes used fact that Holmes was around during the time of The Ripper murders has turned up explicitly in "Murder by Decree" and danced around in "A Study in Terror"...But there is now going to be a "Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper" game.

Looks interesting, even if the voices for Holmes and Watson are less than stellar. Should have got Clive Merrison.

If you can find it, a wonderful BBC radio play (based on a book by the same name) called "Sherlock Holmes vs Dracula" is well worth tracking down.
A VERY clever mix of Holmes pastiche, Stoker's novel and fictional 'real life' events.

ALL are worth more of a look than this film I think.

So you're comparing this movie to some video game? How's this?
What?

I'm simply saying that a trailer for a new Sherlock Holmes/Jack the Ripper game...Looks far more interesting than this film after seeing its trailer.

And I really can't put it any other way... or make it any clearer.