Is Leonardo DiCaprio the best actor in the world RIGHT NOW?

Tools    

Noooo

I think the "right now" part is a way of acknowledging that though there are lots of great actors still alive, their best days are behind them, whereas DiCaprio might be at his peak.

I still don't think that makes him the best actor in the world, but...I think he's probably one of the best. And I say this as someone who really disliked him early in his career, though in retrospect it had way more to do with the types of roles he was taking and the types of people who liked him than it did with the performer himself.

Leo is good, but I think that the nod should go to a DeNiro or Hoffman. Johnny Depp should also be considered. Leo may be in the top 10.

No that would be Daniel Day Lewis probably. He outacted him off the screen in Gangs Of New York. Leo is an incredibly underrated and gifted actor, but no not the best. Sadly he wouldve grown more in his craft if he never went a-list so fast, annd more challenging roles would have gone to him. Im sure that Downey Jr grew more as an actor in those bazillion indie movies he did. Now those 2 should do a movie together - Robert Downey Jr & Leonardo Dicaprio. Whoa! Id pay to see that

Leo probably isn't even in the top 50.

Leo may be in the top 10.
Top ten? I don't think he's better than Meryl Streep, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Paul Newman, Robert DeNiro, Anthony Hopkins, Robert Duvall, Robert Redford, Jack Nicholson and Sidney Poitier.

And that's without even really giving it much thought.

He's a very good actor. Very good actor indeed. But not the best in the world. Not by a long shot.

The thread does say "RIGHT NOW".
Yes. It does. Everyone on my list except for Newman and Poitier have done movies in the past 5 years (Poitier has done some within 5 years but they've been doccumentaries). And almost everyone on the list has done a film within the last year or two.

Most popular or highest profile doesn't equate to 'best'. Also, throw Viggo Mortensen in the mix, man's overdue an Oscar before Leo

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think Denzel Washington is the top right now obviously, and Russell Crowe has to be up there. So for DiCaprio, possible top 10 seems about right.

Creatively? No. But in terms of career management he's an absolute genius. Few have managed to use their luck as well as he has. He's living proof of how valuable brains and mental stability are in Hollywood cause so few actors have them...

I find him a really strange creature in terms of range and it's the reason I haven't lost interest in him yet. Usually, when you say that an actor has great range it means that they can do a large range of roles convincingly and consistently.

Whereas Leonardo has a long list of limitations, but every time he does something far outside his comfort zone - he kills it. No matter what it is. His range is a never ending bag of surprises - it seems potentially limitless but he has to be thrown into the deep end to unearth each new facet. On the other hand - give him a role even remotely similar to something he's done before - and he reverts back to his limitations.

For instance I don't need to see Wolf of Wall Street to believe the reviewer who wrote that he displays never before unearthed gift for physical comedy. I'm sure he does - cause it's fresh to him.

My temptation is simply to say, "No" and be done with it...

...but I'll try to add a more personal addendum:

I just can't get the image of the little kid from "Growing Pains" out of my head while he's acting.

Which doesn't help.

What's with the constant DiCaprio praise? "He is the greatest actor.Why he hasn't received an Oscar yet?" Maybe because he has yet to pull off an extraordinary performance?
I mean,yes,he is a decent actor and he does a good job but I think that he doesn't completely opens for the role,I feel that he doesn't completely loses himself for the role,he doesn't experiment and take it to the extreme.DDL does,Phoenix did it in The Master and Gladiator,Nicholson did it in The Shining and Cuckoo,Pacino did it in Dog Day Afternoon and Scarface,Ledger did it in Dark Knight.That what make these actors great and that what makes DiCaprio worse.He plays by the book.And he has ton of mediocre performances like Shutter Island,Inception,Departed,The Beach,Blood Diamond etc.
DiCaprio had a chance with The Aviator,that role was great but I felt like the main character was Leonardo Dicaprio,not Howard Hughes.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Well it would be a bold statement to say he's the best but he is definitely up there. He always gives stellar performances , and he's one of the finest actors working today no doubt about it. He'll definitely get an oscar,maybe even more than one....eventually.

What's with the constant DiCaprio praise? "He is the greatest actor.Why he hasn't received an Oscar yet?" Maybe because he has yet to pull off an extraordinary performance?
I mean,yes,he is a decent actor and he does a good job but I think that he doesn't completely opens for the role,I feel that he doesn't completely loses himself for the role,he doesn't experiment and take it to the extreme.DDL does,Phoenix did it in The Master and Gladiator,Nicholson did it in The Shining and Cuckoo,Pacino did it in Dog Day Afternoon and Scarface,Ledger did it in Dark Knight.That what make these actors great and that what makes DiCaprio worse.He plays by the book.And he has ton of mediocre performances like Shutter Island,Inception,Departed,The Beach,Blood Diamond etc.
DiCaprio had a chance with The Aviator,that role was great but I felt like the main character was Leonardo Dicaprio,not Howard Hughes.
The Wolf of Wall Street might be that performance you are talking about. I've already heard plenty of buzz that it is his best performance to date, which is saying a lot. But IMO, his work in Django Unchained is spectacular. Totally got lost in the character. That wasn't DiCaprio; it was a crazy slave owner who thought that black people were less than human. Great stuff.

I really enjoy Dicaprio as an actor, and the movies that he's been in. I think he works tremendously hard in each and every role, and he will certainly get an Oscar one of these years.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Wolf of Wall Street might be that performance you are talking about. I've already heard plenty of buzz that it is his best performance to date, which is saying a lot. But IMO, his work in Django Unchained is spectacular. Totally got lost in the character. That wasn't DiCaprio; it was a crazy slave owner who thought that black people were less than human. Great stuff.

I really enjoy Dicaprio as an actor, and the movies that he's been in. I think he works tremendously hard in each and every role, and he will certainly get an Oscar one of these years.
I agree bud. He really does do great in almost every role he's in whether its Shutter Island,Inception,Django Unchained,The Departed, or even Titanic. I cannot wait to see Wolf on Wall Street, hope this performance finally lands him that much-deserved statue.

I agree. He was absolutely phenomenal in Django Unchained. He made Calvin Candie an instant classic villain. People can say what they want, but I think it's the Calvin Candie character that will be remembered from that film, thanks to Leo's wacky performance!

It seems that he plays another expressive role in The Wolf of Wallstreet and I'm very happy with that. DiCaprio is at his best when he doesn't need to restrain himself.
With his charism, I think he's perfect for outgoing, semi-comical characters with preferably a darker side.