The Young Turk's Top 100 Films - Revised

→ in
Tools    

But back to the list itself, you do have some excellent choices.

Multiple selections by Scorsese and Kurosawa (especially two of my own top 10 favorite movies). Kubrick is on the list but I think Dr Strangelove is criminally too low. Francis Ford Coppola has multiple placements, and some great films like Tokyo Story, Casablanca, and M. And quite a bit of Tarkovsky, a director I have a love hate relationship with, though I did not see Stalker in the top 100 (my personal favorite.

I feel you guys have attacked this guy here. There's nothing wrong with morally distancing yourself from a filmmaker and isn't this all just speculative anyway?

...yes, and I just posted in the introductions forum.
Hmmmmmm.

Well if you are genuine welcome. We're not attacking him, there's been no personal insults or anything. It's just when you attack a film maker you can expect a debate and people to challenge you and want you to defend your opinions, that's what makes these forums interesting.

Indeed, but reading through surely calling someone 'wilfully ignorant' is extreme? Plus he seemed genuinely upset. It was fun to read however.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Wow... I leave for one hour for a job interview - one hour - and this happens. I swear I'll never leave my house again.

I'm actually very sad to admit that I have not seen Vertigo. Hitchcock is my favorite director by a wide margin (although others, like Kurosawa, are currently giving him a run for his money), and I sadly can't weigh in on the focal point of the criticism against him.

I definitely have to agree 100% with Yoda, though. He captured perfectly what I was going to say about Auteur Theory, Hitchcock and artistic criticism as a whole. It's perfectly understandable to protest certain filmmakers because of their personal life (Polanski, Allen, etc...), but I reject the theory that you can belittle their artistic accomplishments for the same reasons. Art is seperate from the artist, even if their guiding vision crafted the film into what it is. Just because Hitchcock may or may not have been a mysoginist does not necessarilly mean that his films were. And, Vertigo aside, I can wholeheartedly attest that they were not.

Coming from a "radical" leftwing milieu, i have always been opposed to self-censorship. People can be really quick to call out sexism even when considering art.

I booked a danish band called Iceage several times in a left wing social centre even though they have been called out as Nazi's due to their music videos. Even though the local activists were kind of worried, it all went well.

I think there is a fine red line when you discuss art and politics. Some of what i find offensive, for instance A Woman Under the Influence i would rate really low, so i can somewhat understand your point. Anyway it just feels, like you have read something and therefore dismisses the whole filmography of american directors who obviously have had some kind of influence. I do respect Tarantino and especially Hitchcock even though it wouldn't be those directors i would go to, as a first step, to look for what i consider masterpieces.

I admire the work of Leni Riefenstahl, but i am opposed to Nazism in every sense if that makes sense.

I hope that your political views won't evolve into self-censorship where you wont try anything new, which is not in line with your political views.

If you dont want to financially support them you can always use illegal ways of getting to their films

Indeed, but reading through surely calling someone 'wilfully ignorant' is extreme? Plus he seemed genuinely upset. It was fun to read however.
Perhaps some statements may come across as a little aggressive, but I think these are born out of frustration and a genuine want for meaningful discussion backed up by strong arguments rather than simple dismissive statements which don't address what is being discussed.

If he feels genuinely upset then I think I speak on behalf of everyone in this thread when I say that was nobody's intention. There's been a lot of praise for the list in general, and I think it's a great one too, with many classics. I've had many discussions with the user previously about how I admire there taste in movies, and so have many others, with I think in a way has resulted in a more passionate debate due to his seemingly sudden and drastic reversal in opinions when it comes to some films/directors.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm leftist. Yes, I use my left hand to write. What? You mean politics? I don't care about politics.

As of Tarantino, I would say that he was more influenced by the others, than others were influenced by him. That being said, I do not diminish his artistic work, but he is that kind of guy, who loves old kitschy flicks and uses a lot of ideas and tricks from them in his own films.

Great list, the-young-turk. Wait a second, it's got no Werckmeister Harmonies! That's it. Sh*tty list. 0/10

Seriously though. It's one of the best lists I've seen on MoFo.

1. Mirror (1973) – Andrei Tarkovsky -

2. The Red Shoes (1948) – Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger - HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
3. Bande A Part (1964) – Jean-Luc Godard -

4. Persona (1966) – Ingmar Bergman -

5. Late Spring (1951) – Yasujiro Ozu -

6. Strike (1925) – Sergei Eisenstein -

7. High and Low (1963) – Akira Kurosawa -

8. Pickpocket (1959) – Robert Bresson -

9. Rome, Open City (1945) – Roberto Rossellini -

10. Accattone (1961) – Pier Paolo Passolini -

11. Blow Up (1963) – Michelangelo Antonioni -

12. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) – Stanley Kubrick -

13. Sacrifice (1987) – Andrei Tarkovsky -

14. Ikiru (1952) – Akira Kurosawa -

15. Charaluta (1964) – Satyajit Ray - HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
16. A Man With A Movie Camera (1929) – Dziga Vertov -

17. Sunrise (1927) – FW Murnau -

18. 8 ½ (1963) – Federico Fellini -

19. The Seventh Seal (1957) – Ingmar Bergman -

20. Rashomon (1950) – Akira Kurosawa -

21. Ordet (1955) – Carl Theodor Dreyer -

22. Bitter Victory (1957) – Nicholas Ray - HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
23. Tokyo Story (1953) – Yasujiro Ozu -

24. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (1960) – Karel Reisz - HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
25. The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964) – Pier Paolo Passolini -

26. Rebel Without a Cause (1955) – James Dean -

27. M (1931) – Fritz Lang -

28. Sunset Blvd. (1950) – Billy Wilder -

29. Black Narcissus (1947) – Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger -

30. City Lights (1931) – Charles Chaplin -

31. Casablanca (1942) – Michael Curtiz -

32. Apocalypse Now (1979) – Francis Ford Coppola

33. Taxi Driver (1976) – Martin Scorsese -

34. Citizen Kane (1941) – Orson Welles -

35. Wings of Desire (1987) – Wim Wenders -

36. Ugetsu (1953) – Kenji Mizoguchi -

37. Wild Strawberries (1957) – Ingmar Bergman -

38. Breathless (1960) – Jean-Luc Godard -

39. La Regle du Jeu (1939) – Jean Renoir -

40. Johnny Guitar (1954) – Nicholas Ray -

41. A Matter of Life and Death (1946) – Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger - HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
42. Hobson’s Choice (1954) – David Lean - HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
43. Early Summer (1951) – Yasujiro Ozu -

44. Belle de Jour (1967) – Luis Bunuel -

45. A Short Film About Killing (1988) – Krzysztof Kieslowski -

46. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) – Sergio Leone -

47. Ivan’s Childhood (1962) – Andrei Tarkovsky -

48. Seven Samurai (1954) – Akira Kurosawa -

49. The Third Man (1949) – Carol Reed -

50. Summer With Monika (1953) – Ingmar Bergman -

51. A Story of Floating Weeds (1934) – Yasujiro Ozu - HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
52. Fear Eats the Soul (1974) – Rainer Werner Fassbinder -

53. Some Like It Hot (1955) – Billy Wilder -

54. Pather Panchali (1955) – Satyajit Ray -

55. Modern Times (1936) – Charles Chaplin -

56. Goodfellas (1990) – Martin Scorsese -

57. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) – Carl Theodor Dreyer -

58. Alphaville (1965) – Jean-Luc Godard -

59. Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1963) Stanley Kubrick -

60. L’Avventura (1960) – Michelangelo Antonioni -

61. Mon Oncle (1958) – Jacques Tati - HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
62. The Godfather part II (1974) – Francis Ford Coppola -

63. Earth (1930) – Alexander Dovzhenko -

64. The Godfather (1972) – Francis Ford Coppola -

65. Solaris (1972) – Andrei Tarkovsky -

66. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972) – Luis Bunuel -

67. If… (1968) – Lindsay Anderson - HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
68. Black Orpheus (1959) – Marcel Camus - HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
69. Great Expectations (1946) – David Lean - HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
70. The Conversation (1974) – Francis Ford Coppola -

71. The Life of Oharu (1952) – Kenji Mizoguchi -

72. Paris, Texas (1984) – Wim Wenders -

73. Paths of Glory (1957) – Stanley Kubrick -

74. The Perfect Human (1967) – Jorgen Leth -

75. La Grande Illusion (1937) – Jean Renoir -

76. Throne of Blood (1957) – Akira Kurosawa -

77. Vampyr (1932) – Carl Theodor Dreyer -

78. Peeping Tom (1960) – Michael Powell - HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
79. Double Indemnity (1944) – Billy Wilder -

80. The 400 Blows (1959) – Francois Truffaut -

81. Edward Munch (1974) – Peter Watkins - HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
82. La Ballon Rouge (1956) – Albert Lamorisse -

83. Weekend (1967) – Jean-Luc Godard - HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
84. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (1966) – Sergio Leone -

85. Secrets and Lies (1996) – Mike Leigh -

86. Bigger Than Life (1956) – Nicholas Ray -

87. Soviet Toys (1924) – Dziga Vertov -

88. I Am Cuba (1964) – Mikhail Kalatozov -

89. Rio Bravo (1959) – Howard Hawks - HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
90. Festen (1998) – Thomas Vinterberg - HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
91. Nostalghia (1983) – Andrei Tarkovsky -

92. The Big Sleep (1946) – Howard Hawks -

93. The Piano (1993) – Jane Campion -

94. A Place in the Sun (1951) – George Setevens - HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
95. La Belle et la Bete (1946) – Jean Cocteau -

96. Jules et Jim (1962) – Francois Truffaut- HAVEN'T SEEN - IM IGNORANT - FORGIVE ME
97. The Trial (1962) – Orson Welles -

98. Au Hasard Balthasar (1966) – Robert Bresson -

99. Nymphomaniac I & II (2014) – Lars von Trier -
&

100. A Page of Madness (1926) – Teinoskue Kinugasa -
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Due to the mass pressure put on me in this debate I will subdue. Over the next week I will rewatch what I used to consider the key Hitchcock films;
The Wrong Man
Rear Window
Vertigo
Psycho
Blackmail!
The Lodger
Dial M For Murder
North by North West
Strangers on a Train
Frenzy

After watching these films I will reassess my beliefs on Hitchcock, and will post my findings on the website.

That is about as bad as it gets on this site. Then again by internet standards that is pretty tame.

lolol

*Stands vehemently by auteur theory*
*Lists James Dean as the director of Rebel Without a Cause*
I have corrected that error which I am awfully sorry about,I have given Nicholas Ray the credit now. I have been ill and it hasn't entirely gone away.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Dennis Hopper (Ray's close personal friend for years) and others on the set say that James Dean actually did direct much of the film, although how much, if any, of the disorienting camera angles he was responsible for wasn't mentioned.

Dennis Hopper (Ray's close personal friend for years) and others on the set say that James Dean actually did direct much of the film, although how much, if any, of the disorienting camera angles he was responsible for wasn't mentioned.
And of course he famously improvised the opening sequence without any direction at all from Nicholas Ray. This of course not taking away from Ray's greatness.

Gooble gobble, one of us!
Back to the friendly Hitchcock debate. You meantioned Vertigo as misogynistic and for that reason you dismiss him, which I guess you are entitled to. But to dismiss his whole filmography, isn't that a bit harsh?

What about Dial M For Murder? Grace Kelly plays the clever and strong hero and clearly outsmarts her pathetic husband in every way, is that film misogynistic? You do realise that even if you for some weird reason think Vertigo is misogynistic, that doesn't mean that all his films are? In that case you should just dismiss Vertigo, and not Hitchcock and his filmography. I'd like to hear your opinion, specifically on the film I just mentioned (Dial M For Murder), and I'm not attacking you, I'm just defending Hitch