The Identity of God

Tools    

...ultimate knowledge of existence cannot be obtained through the intellect nor the five senses.
How do you know that for sure? You can only say that statement is true for yourself. You can't apply your standards globally to everyone else.

Your statement is not my truth, I define myself by my own standards, not by other peoples.

How do you know that for sure? You can only say that statement is true for yourself. You can't apply your standards globally to everyone else.

Your statement is not my truth, I define myself by my own standards, not by other peoples.
I said that although the intellect cannot realize the ultimate truth of existence, it can lead one to the path. As I said, I’m an accountant but I have been a voracious reader since childhood. I continue my self-studies into such matters as an avocation. The basic paradigm of Indian metaphysics as exemplified by the Upanishads seems intellectually plausible to me (indeed, compelling) and rings true to me on an intuitive basis.

Unfortunately, I am far too old to embark on such an arduous path now. All I can do is take comfort in the philosophy. If it is true, then it is truth for you and all as well as me. You just haven’t come to the realization yet, if you ever do. Can I now state categorically that it is true? No.

Ahh, but he didn't say people must choose. He said he hates it when they don't choose. That's a different thing.

I have a great love and respect for religion, great love and respect for atheism. What I hate is agnosticism, people who do not choose. Orson Welles
The question is, did he say it before or after he started the Paul Mason commercials?

I said that although the intellect cannot realize the ultimate truth of existence, it can lead one to the path. As I said, I’m an accountant but I have been a voracious reader since childhood. I continue my self-studies into such matters as an avocation. The basic paradigm of Indian metaphysics as exemplified by the Upanishads seems intellectually plausible to me (indeed, compelling) and rings true to me on an intuitive basis.

Unfortunately, I am far too old to embark on such an arduous path now. All I can do is take comfort in the philosophy. If it is true, then it is truth for you and all as well as me. You just haven’t come to the realization yet, if you ever do. Can I now state categorically that it is true? No.
Are you sure you don't want to tell us your IQ and income as well? (what I mean is: I don't care what anyone's credentials are, it's irrelevant.)

Here's what I believe

I'm not aware of too many things
I know what I know, if you know what I mean
Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box
Religion is the smile on a dog
I know what I know, if you know what I mean, do yeah

Are you sure you don't want to tell us your IQ and income as well? (what I mean is: I don't care what anyone's credentials are, it's irrelevant.)

Here's what I believe

I know what I know, if you know what I mean
Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box
Religion is the smile on a dog
I know what I know, if you know what I mean, do yeah
Is one of the things that you do know the answer to: Why is there something instead of nothing? In other words, why is there existence itself? You might not care. But I, and I think a great many others, would like to know.

BTW, I told you I was an accountant because in a previous post you seem to deride me as an intellectual. It is difficult to envision a less philosophical occupation than accountancy. Long ago, though, when I was in college my intellect came to the conclusion that it would be far easier to actually get a job with a business degree than a degree in philosophy.

...BTW, I told you I was an accountant because in a previous post you seem to deride me as an intellectual.
Sorry if you thought that, that was not my intention.

I'm more interested in what a person personally thinks & feels about their own beliefs, such as the post by Camo and SeanC, those were good post.

I'm not so interested in college definitions of 'isms.' Every internet discussion of religion turns into the battle of dead philosophers, which I find a bore.

Yeah, I think you're right. That thought process will definitely lead you there though.
I don't know how you make that connection. I believe in god without religion and because I do not know god's identity doesn't mean I am going to be lead down the road of non-belief since I never had any religious influence of any kind, I never had any proof

I think many serious religious people would answer your question with the concept of "revelation", @Pussy Galore. For instance, my uncle believes that the truth about God and his essence has been revealed to him throughout religious history and through his own spiritual experiences. Most religions are founded on a particular prophet's personal revelation (for instance, Mohammed) or on someone's mere existence actually being (part of) the essence of the revelation (Jesus Christ).

I myself haven't experienced that moment of revelation myself so I can't truly speak for those who have or those who believe in (certain) revelations that are claimed to have happened by many people throughout history, but I think that's an important core for many mature people's religious identity.

As I know you like to be challenged and humbled by arguments and knowledge, I'd like you to think about this quote by C.S. Lewis (who I know Yoda is a big fan of), @Pussy Galore. It takes some of the concepts of knowledge, doubt and uncertainty that you used in your first post and throws it right back at us, atheists:

‎"Supposing there was no intelligence behind the universe, no creative mind. In that case, nobody designed my brain for the purpose of thinking. It is merely that when the atoms inside my skull happen, for physical or chemical reasons, to arrange themselves in a certain way, this gives me, as a by-product, the sensation I call thought. But, if so, how can I trust my own thinking to be true? It's like upsetting a milk jug and hoping that the way it splashes itself will give you a map of London. But if I can't trust my own thinking, of course I can't trust the arguments leading to Atheism, and therefore have no reason to be an Atheist, or anything else. Unless I believe in God, I cannot believe in thought: so I can never use thought to disbelieve in God."

The bolded part rings especially true to me, while I believe the last part is a bit of a leap he probably consciously made to hit his argument home. I think it's a very humbling bit to deeply think about.

I don't know how you make that connection. I believe in god without religion and because I do not know god's identity doesn't mean I am going to be lead down the road of non-belief since I never had any religious influence of any kind, I never had any proof
What he's saying though is he doesn't think we will be able to comprehend God's existence because we can't ever even comprehend our own. The logical conclusion of all that thinking would be a big shrug.

The most loathsome of all goblins
Every internet discussion of religion turns into the battle of dead philosophers, which I find a bore.
Thomas Aquinas vs Friedrich Nietzsche would make for a fun Celebrity Death Match

Thomas Aquinas vs Friedrich Nietzsche would make for a fun Celebrity Death Match
Man, this reminds me of the Philosopher's Soccer Match - one of the most brilliant skits ever.

"No lack of excitement here! As you can see, Nietzsche has just been booked for arguing with the referee. He accused Confucius of having no free will, and Confucius he say 'Name go in book.' And this is Nietzsche's third booking in four games!"

I don't think you misunderstood stood me and I also don't think you are 100% wrong, but I do think you are mischaracterizing what I mean a bit. Doubt isn't inherently bad, and I wouldn't call it a weakness. Although how we engage with our doubt can be both those things. I am going to talk about faith now because I think it applies. Christians are taught that faith is the evidence of things not seen. Now some just take that verse and use it to stand firmly in their dogma. I don't necessarily want to belittle those people but I do think that type of thing needs to be pushed back against because it makes you ineffective against disbelief. Evidence can be a tricky thing especially coming at it from a spiritual perspective. Christ told me to love unconditionally, but why? Well if I practice unconditional love and I find that it makes the people in my life love more openly and makes me a more effective person I have some evidence that that particular tenet of my faith is real and valuable.

Obviously that is a very elementary example but I think the analogy works for what I am trying to say. You often hear non-believers bemoan Christianity because they view it as a religion based on a list of arbitrary rules. I strongly believe that's our Christian cultures fault because we work backwards. We want the non-believer to follow Christ's example and then they will understand why he gave us those moral absolutes. I believe that if we live out those absolutes non-believers will see the evidence of the benefits of Christian living. Most people want to know why they are following what they are. We try to train adults like children, that mostly isn't effective.

Maybe I rambled, but I hope that explains my position a bit better and keeps the conversation going.
I totally understand and respect that, but for me what you are describing is absolutely possible without faith or religion. Furthermore, why would the words of Christ (in the new testament I suppose) have any more weight than any other thinkers over the ages. Lots of philosophers elaborated a moral, personally I am inclined to be more of a consequentialist and I find that it helped my life greatly. However, I don't see how I could derive from the fact that I adopted a particular morality and that it helped my life, that this particular morality is holy, or has a particular status. I can say that the arguments it presents are, I think better for X, Y or Z reasons, but I don't see anything more.

In other words, from what I understand you seem to say that ''Christ told you to love unconditionally'' (from the new testament as I said) and that you applied that to your life and that it made it better. How is that sufficient to give you metaphysical beliefs? I mean, couldn't you just see christian moral as a great moral without believing in the rest? For me at least for believing in the rest I'd need to have some good reasons which I'm sure you have, but you didn't tell them.

I'll also answer to Cobpyth and the accountant guy who talks about mysticism later today haha.

I totally understand and respect that, but for me what you are describing is absolutely possible without faith or religion. Furthermore, why would the words of Christ (in the new testament I suppose) have any more weight than any other thinkers over the ages. Lots of philosophers elaborated a moral, personally I am inclined to be more of a consequentialist and I find that it helped my life greatly. However, I don't see how I could derive from the fact that I adopted a particular morality and that it helped my life, that this particular morality is holy, or has a particular status. I can say that the arguments it presents are, I think better for X, Y or Z reasons, but I don't see anything more.

In other words, from what I understand you seem to say that ''Christ told you to love unconditionally'' (from the new testament as I said) and that you applied that to your life and that it made it better. How is that sufficient to give you metaphysical beliefs? I mean, couldn't you just see christian moral as a great moral without believing in the rest? For me at least for believing in the rest I'd need to have some good reasons which I'm sure you have, but you didn't tell them.

I'll also answer to Cobpyth and the accountant guy who talks about mysticism later today haha.
I started to answer your concern a bit in my first post but I will try to elaborate. I will start off by saying if you subscribe to a nihilistic world view, doesn't seem like you do personally, then anything I'm going to say will have no bearing. However if you have a belief system that subscribed to humanity being broken and the need to overcome that brokenness on any level what I'm going to say should make some sense.

What Christianity does that no other religion or belief system does is has us work from the top down. There are absolutely no works required. Christianity says perfection is the goal but in our broken state we can never achieve it. No matter how much we give of ourselves we will remain broken. We will fall short of our expectations of ourselves, others expectations of us, and God's will. So we are offered the free gift of forgiveness with no strings attached. It allows us a freedom that no other religion or belief system does. All others require some measure of works that you will never be able to live up to. You will never be able to achieve perfection. It's our plight as broken people and there is only one answer to that problem.

The closest thing we see to it here on earth is the love parents have for their children. Even that has limits though and eventually even that love can be stretched to its limit. I fear I got way to religious with my reply but I will await your response hoping it made some sense.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
You can't remove faith from religion, otherwise it becomes a following of soulless droids.

"Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe.” - John 20:29

You can't remove faith from religion, otherwise it becomes a following of soulless droids.

"Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe.” - John 20:29
Where have you been? There's loads of boobs threads waiting for you to be gross in.

well you know more than me mate.
What does this mean? Sorry i missed this. Either you are mocking me or something else, the idea of both is really depressing. I think people should read my post and forget about it four seconds later, i was definitely not trying to say anything interesting with it.

What does this mean? Sorry i missed this. Either you are mocking me or something else, the idea of both is really depressing. I think people should read my post and forget about it four seconds later, i was definitely not trying to say anything interesting with it.
I was mocking you... or whatever.

Well either way it really depresses you and I posted like a week ago and I thought I'd save us both the hassle of getting into a god debate on a perfectly fine Saturday afternoon..