Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

This bit was a direct spoof of Airport 1975 (the second "Airport" movie) where a small plane collides with a 747 and is sticking out of the front of the larger plane!
Spoiler alert!....I'm watching Airport 1975 in a few minutes.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I remember that, gbg! We had some nice discussions about it. The Big Bus is another guilty pleasure. (A lot of people can't stand it, but I think it's got enough classic comedy bits to make it something to watch at least once.)

One bit of trivia I just realized - in The Big Bus, a pick-up truck crashes into it and the bus ends up with the truck sticking out of the front of the bus. This bit was a direct spoof of Airport 1975 (the second "Airport" movie) where a small plane collides with a 747 and is sticking out of the front of the larger plane!

I think people who watch The Big Bus now expect it to be as good as Airplane, but you have to just accept it for what it is to enjoy it. You can't really compare the two.

Yeah, when I went to the theater with my family to see Earthquake we got ripped! The movie was in Sensurround, which used lots of low frequency signals to shake your theater seat...but not the theater we went to I seen Earthquake again a few years ago, still no Sensurround...

Captain...thanks for mentioning:
Airplane (1980)
The Big Bus (1976)
Executive Decision (1996)

I put those on top of my too watch list, that way I can check them out after the 4 Airport movies. Should be fun!
Just to let you know, Executive Decision is an action film (as opposed to a comedy spoof).
IMO, it's an edge-of-your-seat action film. It's fun & exciting, but has some serious themes. Some people find it slightly eerie since it was made before 9/11, yet it involves a plot by Islamic Terrorists to use the plane (or something on it - without giving spoilers) to attack the United States.

Spoiler alert!....I'm watching Airport 1975 in a few minutes.
I'm sorry, Rules. I thought you'd said you'd seen the other three airport movies.
(Still, it doesn't mean everyone else reading this has seen them - so I'll take note about potential spoilers.)

The comedy part isn't hard to see, when you look back at movies like Max Dugan Returns and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but I never saw the musicals part coming.

I remember when I saw him in The Music Man, (on PBS), I thought he was good, but I didn't think that he had the "wow" factor. Maybe it was just because Robert Preston was just so hard to live up to, but I just expected a bit more from him than what I got.
Yeah, I saw Matthew on Broadway in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and thought he was fantastic, but I found his performance as Harold Hill very one-note and kind of bland...I know I'm in the minority on this, but the only thing I loved in that production was Kristen Chenoweth as Marian the Librarian.

Have you seen this video of Hugh Jackman singing "The Music Man"?

I'm pretty sure that there isn't a male lead in musical comedy that Hugh Jackman couldn't do...if they ever did a film remake of the musical Guys and Dolls, I think Jackman would be a perfect Sky Masterson...I have a myriad of issues the 1955 film, the primary one being Marlon Brando playing Sky Masterson, what were they thinking?

Don't even start with that.

I think I saw it, or some of it, when I was young. What I can be sure of is that my mum really liked it (as did my grandparents) and I can remember hearing that soundtrack over and over for years. I hate that bloody album. In fact, it's entirely possible that my hatred for westerns comes from that album. Both the music and the horrible, horrible album cover.

Look at that horrible brown scratchy thing.
God, I hate this movie.

No, I hadn't seen that, thanks for posting it.

What didn't you like about Brando as Sky Masterson? Besides the fact his singing is average.
I just didn't believe him in a musical comedy role, even he seemed uncomfortable, and as far as singing, I don't think I would have liked the performance even if they had dubbed his singing.

I'm pretty sure that there isn't a male lead in musical comedy that Hugh Jackman couldn't do...if they ever did a film remake of the musical Guys and Dolls, I think Jackman would be a perfect Sky Masterson...I have a myriad of issues the 1955 film, the primary one being Marlon Brando playing Sky Masterson, what were they thinking?
I agree 100% about Hugh Jackman. I don't think there's anything he can't do.

I can't wait to see him in The Greatest Showman on Earth as P.T. Barnum. I've seen (and loved) both Jim Dale's and Michael Crawford's versions, and I think Jackman is perfect for that role.

Hugh Jackman. I don't think there's anything he can't do
...one thing he should not do, is all those X-men movies. I just looked him up at IMDB and I've never seen a movie with him in it.

Hugh Jackman. I don't think there's anything he can't do
...one thing he should not do, is all those X-men movies. I just looked him up at IMDB and I've never seen a movie with him in it.
Lol seriously? Not one?

Anyways, I see a new avatar there, CR!

You haven't seen any X-Men movies, Rules?

My thoughts on Jackman as Wolverine (the role he made famous and which made him famous) is he did a good job with the acting, (as gbg said, he's very good!) But physically he was all wrong for the role. Wolverine in the comics was 5 foot 3 inches tall - the idea being that wolverines are very short, squat animals that are incredibly strong & ferocious for their size.

Jackman pulled off the ferocity quite well, but there wasn't anything they could do about his height - on some of the X-Men movie posters he's the tallest in the cast.

One thing I will say is that somebody was able to give him a hairstyle in the movies that simply can't exist in real life (only in comics) and still had it look somewhat natural.

P.S. I know the role of Wolverine made Jackman famous, but he probably would've become famous without the role sooner or later. The role as a superhero - from a comic book that had soared to cult-level status - in a major movie dedicated to that comic, launched him into becoming a virtual household name almost overnight.

Seriously?! You've never seen any movies with Hugh Jackman?! You don't know what you're missing. He's great in the X-Men movies, but if you don't want to watch superhero movies, try Kate & Leopold, The Prestige, Real Steel, and Les Misérables. Also, check out the 1999 version of Oklahoma! with Jackman as Curly.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'll second The Prestige as well.

And I'm sure you'll have fun watching all the old Airport flicks. With the disaster flicks Poseidon Adventure was my favorite followed by Towering Inferno