Best Films of 2010

→ in
Tools    

Apologies if there's an existing thread of a similar nature....

Top 10 -

The Social Network
Four Lions
The Expendables
Scott Pilgrim
White Material
Black Swan
A Prophet
Winters Bone
Machete
The Kids are All Right
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Dogtooth
Inception / Tron: Legacy

Middle of the road - (rough order)

Fish Tank
Shutter Island
Ghost Writer
[rec]2
Easy A
Hot Tub Time Machine
Kick Ass
Toy Story 3
Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows
Catfish
Get Him to the Greek
The Town
Piranha 3D
Youth in Revolt
Cyrus
The Wolfman
Carlos
Green Zone
Red
The Secret in Their Eyes
The Killer Inside
Monsters
Rabbit Hole

Jackass 3D
Clash of the Titans
The Losers
The A-Team
Splice
Harry Brown
Predators

Poor (no order)

The Tourist
Resident Evil: After Life
The Other Guys
Human Centipede
District 13: Ultimatum
The Book of Eli
Daybreakers
The Crazies

Worst - (no order)

Alice in Wonderland
Nightmare on Elm Street
Survival of the Dead
Prince of Persia
Paranormal Activity 2

Most Disappointing -

Rare Exports
Iron Man 2

Yet to see -

Mother
Buried

Trash Humpers

The American
Never Let Me Go

Blue Valentine
I Am Love

Agora
The Headless Woman

I've taken True Grit, The Fighter, 127 Hours, Kings Speech out as they're technically 2011 releases for UK, might let Black Swan slide.

I've only seen 16 new ones this year. These are the top 8 (not in any particular order after Inception) so far:

Inception
The Tempest
Ghost Writer
How to Train Your Dragon
Iron Man 2
Shutter Island
The Killer Inside Me
127 Hours

The movies that ive seen this year that stick out in my brain are: (keep in mind ive seen a lot of movies this past year, so im only naming the ones that really stick out)

Inception- Which was phenomenal, and deserves to be recognized for screenplay AT LEAST...
Black Swan- Insanely visually stunning and well directed. The story is amazing and the performances by not only Natalie Portman, are unreal.
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World- Easily the funniest movie I've seen all year. The effects and visuals really made me feel like I was watching a video game. Hilarious and the cast is fantastic.
The Social Network- Very well directed and is brilliant. Its a movie that completely identifies with our generation, no matter if you use facebook or not, love it or hate it, or identify with facebook at all. Facebook is a part of the way we socialize now, and has forever changed the way we will ever socialize again. I think everyone should watch this movie, as it is going to be part of history and film roster forever.

OHH and i forgot to mention some of the animated ones as well!!

By far the best animated film ive seen this year is:

How To Train Your Dragon- The concept and story of this movie is so well written and showcased. I wanted to be in this movie, i wanted a pet dragon and it was very emotional. The story was beautiful and by far deserves an oscar this year for best animated film.

Toy Story 3- well done on finishing the series of movies with this one. Toy story 3 is the best toy story, and also deserves some sort of recognition. Beautiful way to end this story of toys that come to life.

And I just wanted to add to the social network blurb i made above. The soundtrack is impeccable!! Trent Reznor deserves an Oscar for best score. The soundtrack made this movie come to life and really kept me wanting more.

Agreed on Trent's work for The Social Network, spectacular; if it only gets win one Oscar, i hope it's that one.

Top 10 Films of 2010

10 - Daybreakers
(Dark , Original and nothing like Twilight. Well acted , good use of lighting and cinematography. A Gritty Vampire Film to get your teeth into.)

9 - Lymelife
(Was released in 2010 in UK. Just loved this film to bits. Acting in it is some of its best since The Godfather. Great story , fabulous writing and directing and a underrated cult classic.)

8 - The Runaways
(Great biopic. Stewart & Fanning are great in this especially Fanning. Good songs by The Runaways too. Also gives you that 80s rock feeling too.)

7 - Scott Pilgram Vs The World
(Great film here and probably Edgar Wright's best. He knows how to do comedy very well and this film is no expectation. Michael Cera is genius in this and The Evil Exs are downright brilliant.)

6 - The American
(Very chilling film. Clooney once again has potential for Oscar Buzz. Great moody story set in Europe. Marvelous acting and directing from all sides. Need to see this and hope its recognised.)

5 - Toy Story 3
(Surprised myself its so low on the this. I will say that this film makes Toy Story The Greatest Trilogy Of All Time. Both 100% Flicks with this maybe being the best. Ending brought me to tears and still does.)

4 - The Social Network
(Marvelous film. Wonderful direction , writing , acting , cinematography , score. I wouldn't be surprised if this won Best Picture because it truely was wonderful.)

3 - Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 1
(Not the best Potter Film but by far one of the best films of the year. The End is most definately coming and this film really gives us this feeling that something much darker is on its way.)

2 - Inception
(Original and a masterpiece. Nolan's finest work and one step closer to Oscar Potential. If Nolan doesnt get it this year , Dark Knight Rises is his last hope. Anyway if you havent seen it...SEE IT!)

1 - Easy A
(My Favourite Film of The Year. It has everything i like in a Teen Film. Original Plot , Characters and All the teen cliches you could bathe in. Emma Stone i could classify as a star now , but her career is only beginning. Easy A - My Pick For Favourite Film Of The Year.

2 - Inception
(Original and a masterpiece. Nolan's finest work and one step closer to Oscar Potential. If Nolan doesnt get it this year , Dark Knight Rises is his last hope. Anyway if you havent seen it...SEE IT!)

1 - Easy A
(My Favourite Film of The Year. It has everything i like in a Teen Film. Original Plot , Characters and All the teen cliches you could bathe in. Emma Stone i could classify as a star now , but her career is only beginning. Easy A - My Pick For Favourite Film Of The Year.
Wait? If not Inception, then the 3rd Batman film is Nolan's "last hope" of an Oscar?!?! My God, have we fallen so far? If that's true, then he might as well retire with Soderbergh in 2013.

Just to let you know, Easy A is The Scarlett Letter. Not that that makes it any better or worse, just passing on knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scarlet_Letter
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114345/

maybe it isn't Nolan's last hope , but Inception comes close for Nolan because Inception made millions and it was original. He should have had something for Memento , but he was just starting out at the time. Maybe he will have future chances , but with these two films , its only right he deserves something now or for The Dark Knight Rises.

I am aware that Easy A bares resemblance to The Scarlett Letter , but it put a fresh original spin on it. Plus The Cast is great.

Daybreakers wasn't terrible. How in lord was it terrible when it is nothing like Twilight ?

I agree. Runaways could have been better , but it was still good.

I`ve put in a bunch of films that are sometimes rated as 2010 and sometimes not (all listed in red). So include them and knock off the last few listed in black, or don`t, either way this is my top 10 so far in ascending order-

Potiche
How To Train Your Dragon
Splice
Lebanon
Temple Grandin
The Social Network
A Prophet
Winter`s Bone
The Red Riding Trilogy
Scott Pilgrim vs The World
Fish Tank
Summer Wars
1= Toy Story 3
1= Exit Through The Gift Shop
1= Four Lions

Standout performances include Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes in Winter`s Bone (the two most memorable), Jesse Eisenberg in The Social Network, Claire Danes in Temple Grandin, Colin Firth and Guy Pearce in The King`s Speech, Katie Jarvis in Fish Tank and Mark Ruffalo in The Kids Are All Right.

I am aware that Easy A bares resemblance to The Scarlett Letter , but it put a fresh original spin on it. Plus The Cast is great.
It doesn't bare resemblance, it was a literal adaptation.
Daybreakers wasn't terrible. How in lord was it terrible when it is nothing like Twilight ?
So if a film is nothing like Twilight that means it's great?

...yeah why not. Twilight really to me destroyed the meaning of a vampire. Shining in the light , Love over Sucking Bloods. The Volturi ? Worst Villians In Cinema. Daybreakers was realistic (To an extend) , dark , grim and neonoir in a way. I liked it and if you didn't your opinion.

Maybe it is a literal adaption , but they modernised it which is sort of original.

You shouldn't even compare films to Twilight or they'll all seem damn good. Daybreakers is just another film with a good concept that failed to run when it hit the ground, offering nothing new to the mythos. Besides Let The Right One In there hasn't been a truly good vampire film in decades (Underworld and Blade are rather fun but not really cinematic gold).

I absolutely loved Easy A, great movie

I didn't think The Social Network was going to be such a hit. I'm convinced to go watch it.