The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I haven’t seen Anomolisa. I like Kaufman when he can stand to be humorous. But I’m Thinking of Ending Things was so relentlessly gloomy I didn’t get very far. So I am not eager to put myself through that again.* I do plan on seeing but never seem to get around to it.
The VVitch was unlike any horror movie I had seen before. I liked the presentation of how horror might have played out in the minds of people of the period. Rather than catering to our desires. I left the film feeling a little discombobulated. I did not know where I was because I felt that this horror vocabulary was new to me. It was not on my list because there were other movies I was more at home with. I think a rewatch is definitely in order.
5/10 seen
2/10 picked

I'm getting the impression that there's a lot of dislike for I'm Thinking of Ending Things. I'm wondering what the general mood is towards Synecdoche, New York, in terms of the people who feel they're generally Kaufman fans

It's kinda funny. Everyone's ragging on I'm Thinking of Ending Things. I saw it a few months ago and it was the first Charlie Kaufman movie I actually liked. Haven't seen Anomalisa, though. Looking at his filmography, I see his name was taken off of Chaos Walking. I wonder what his version of that would have been like.

By the way, if anyone finds my new avatar distracting/annoying/whatever, please let me know.

I'm getting the impression that there's a lot of dislike for I'm Thinking of Ending Things.

You beat me to it.

I'm getting the impression that there's a lot of dislike for I'm Thinking of Ending Things. I'm wondering what the general mood is towards Synecdoche, New York, in terms of the people who feel they're generally Kaufman fans
I love Synecdoche, New York, but I'm not sure if I could call myself a Kaufman fan, since there are still a couple of his films I haven't seen. Still, for what it's worth, it made the 2000s countdown (click here) and there are a bunch of reviews for it here on MoFo.

Victim of The Night
Like, all of this for me in theory, yes.

But the CGI of it all and the never-ending nature of the fight just totally loses me. It was the most frustrating thing about Civil War---there WERE all of these complex relationships and genuine moments of emotional conflict and places where people had their philosophies challenged when push came to shove.

But for me it somehow drowns in spectacle and cute little quips and reaction shots and special effects and the humanity of the characters gets trapped under a layer of stupid-movie jello.

This might make it sound like I disliked the film. I didn't. It's probably a
+ film for me. But while my initial viewing was mostly positive, my feelings about it now are mostly frustration at the way that the good stuff gets crowded out by the overwhelming sameness (in how the action is shot, in how the dialogue flows, all of it) of every Marvel movie.
Well, I respect your opinion but obviously didn't feel the same way. I thought the action scenes felt fewer and further between than a lot of super-hero movies (though I mostly thought they were lean and mean, like the Cap/Bucky/Black Panther fight/chase, but admittedly not the airport which I think was just intended to be big) with a lot more character and dialogue and personal motivations and all that than most and I thought the airport battle was the crown-jewel of it all until Steve and Tony fight at the end which is probably my favorite part of almost any superhero movie. Watching these two people who care deeply about each other and have great respect for each other end up on opposite sides of a very emotional and personal conflict and throw away their friendship was, to me, the best conflict and stakes in any of the movies of the Super-hero Movie Era.
But I guess part of that is because I mostly liked the movies up to that point and had become emotionally invested in these characters myself and seeing them come to this point was powerful.

All that said, it did not make my list, by the way.

Victim of The Night
Civil War: haven't seen. But I'm going to lol anyway.

It Follows - the concept is great, the presentation is great, the acting and characters are great, the scares are great, the soundtrack is great and for the most part the execution of the story is great. But this is one of the exceptionally rare instances where the logic and execution of a plot point was almost the movies death for me. The plan at the pool is just so dumb, not only on the part of the characters, but in the dreadful way it is handled by the film itself, that it just tore me from believing in the film. Normally this shouldn't happen to me. I'm not entirely even sure why it did. Sure, it being an extraordinarily dumb concept is part of it. But I've excused that before. So I think it has something to do with how important believing in these characters is for this film to work and having them execute a plan that miiight make sense of they were seven years old, or miiight be excusable if they were the Scooby Doo gang, turned them all into pure constructs of the film. And once the happened, the curtain was down. I started to think about the logistics of the curse, and it totally fell apart. And while I cant remember what the logical fallacy of it was, trust me in that it breaks your brain once you think about it. And I became distracted by the genesis of such a thing, and was no longer even thinking about the movie anymore or how good it was up until that point

So maybe a criticism I would grill someone else for, since everything else was great, and story is rarely the most important thing in a film,. But here we are. Didnt make my list
I'm with you.
I was really liking the movie and then the pool scene. Yikes.
For me, the pool scene is like watching Helen Mirren walking across a party toward you and then tripping over a lawn-chair and breaking her hip.
I actually have never re-watched the movie because I didn't want to face that disappointment again, not that I never would or even that I wouldn't recommend the film, but I just don't wanna see that part happen again. It kinda makes me cringe.

I wasn't bothered much by that, but I can understand that.

Like said, not something that I would normally give a toss about. But the fact that, not so much logically, but just how tonally wrong it felt (by writing about this I think I'm starting to figure out what bothered me), seemed to undo the fabric of the films mood up until that point.

Whatever it was, it was an unfortunate distraction

I'm with you.
I was really liking the movie and then the pool scene. Yikes.
For me, the pool scene is like watching Helen Mirren walking across a party toward you and then tripping over a lawn-chair and breaking her hip.
I actually have never re-watched the movie because I didn't want to face that disappointment again, not that I never would or even that I wouldn't recommend the film, but I just don't wanna see that part happen again. It kinda makes me cringe.

I've watched it two or three times, and the impact of its shittiness has never lessened.

If I recall, even the music in the score that plays during those scenes is off.

It feels like a cast off idea from The Lost Boys as they are boobytrapping their house, but even Corey Feldman was 'nah dog, that's totally dumb' so didn't make the cut. But at least in Lost Boys it would fit its gloriously 80s tacky and goofy mood. It just does not belong in the sober It Follows. Just a mindbogglingly bad decision.

But I guess part of that is because I mostly liked the movies up to that point and had become emotionally invested in these characters myself and seeing them come to this point was powerful.

All that said, it did not make my list, by the way.
I think that my mindset was a bit different. I'd really enjoyed Winter Soldier and was looking forward to this one. But I was definitely starting to get Marvel fatigue. And Civil War was also the first film where there were characters from movies I hadn't watched. So, for example, I had no idea who Vision was or what his backstory was. And the idea of having to go back and watch like 2 or 3 movies just to understand the big picture started to make me feel a bit irritable.

I'm not mad that the movies build in this spider-web type way, but there was an inflection point somewhere after Winter Soldier where keeping up with the story and all the moving parts started to feel like a homework assignment instead of enjoyment and engagement. (Luckily I had a student who was REALLY into Marvel, and he would explain everything to me. So that was kind of delightful.)

I was about to say that I didn't watch any more Avengers films after Civil War, but apparently I watched Infinity War. Another movie that made basically zero impression on me, apparently. I rated it a 7, which for a movie that has so many actors I love means it's probably more like a 5-6.

Really, I am just burned out on the Marvel formula, which is like being served the same meal over and over. Civil War might be better and more personal, but it's not better enough to lift it above the Marvel soup.

Victim of The Night
It feels like a cast off idea from The Lost Boys as they are boobytrapping their house, but even Corey Feldman was 'nah dog, that's totally dumb' so didn't make the cut. But at least in Lost Boys it would fit its gloriously 80s tacky and goofy mood. It just does not belong in the sober It Follows. Just a mindbogglingly bad decision.
Yeah, this resonates with me. It's just bizarre and overwrought and clumsy and, unfortunately, very uncinematic.