The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Man from Nowhere was my #22. Love it to pieces. It's a film I tend to revisit in 15-20 minute stretches as opposed to watching beginning to end, but I do come back to it frequently.

I enjoyed Hereditary and, for better or for worse it made a huge splash in the horror space, but it did not make my list.

From the first six, I've seen half. The Raid I've already commented. Maybe it deserves a rewatch, but I can't seem to be bothered. Hereditary ranks high on my disappointment list and wouldn't be a contender even for my top 100 for the decade. I don't seem to be compatible with Aster.

The Man from Nowhere was my #15. It's a typical Asian action film, but it's one of the best examples of that formula. A good action film doesn't need an innovative plot or unforeseeable twists; well-executed action and relatable motivation are often enough.

Seen: 3/6

My ballot (this far)  

On the subject of one pointers, I'm actually A LITTLE happy that Resident Evil 5 was voted for because it wasn't really that bad of an addition to the franchise, not that the franchise ever set a high bar. I'd say it was the third best.

On the subject of one pointers, I'm actually A LITTLE happy that Resident Evil 5 was voted for because it wasn't really that bad of an addition to the franchise, not that the franchise ever set a high bar. I'd say it was the third best.

I'm glad it was Retribution and not the baffling Final Chapter.

I agree with the people saying Argo is unlikely to make the countdown, so I will just say here that it's my favorite movie to win Best Picture this decade.

Hereditary was a great horror movie but two things really put me off. The little girl getting her head smashed in and the ending where the mom is crawling on the ceiling. The head-smashing is just to upsetting for me. The mom crawling on the ceiling took me out of the kind of horror film that I thought it was meant to be. Suddenly, you feel like you are in a different genre altogether.
The Man from Nowhere is not my kind of film. I think action is just way to violent nowadays (yes I said nowadays cause that is how old I am). I might give it a look if it ever comes up in a Hall of Fame.

Seen 3/6
Picked 2/6

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Hereditary is borderline bad.

The Man from Nowhere is very good.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
96. Hereditary
95. The Man From Nowhere

Never heard these last reveals.
Seeing the great Toni Collette taking part in one of these, partly make me sad. Superb actress accepting the role in some meaningless horror street marked production for the sake of a salary... Oh God, please help the helpless ones!
Well, maybe I'm wrong and this movie is not that bad... Is it worth watching?

Seeing the great Toni Collette taking part in one of these, partly make me sad. Superb actress accepting the role in some meaningless horror street marked production for the sake of a salary... Oh God, please help the helpless ones!
Well, maybe I'm wrong and this movie is not that bad... Is it worth watching?

I haven't seen it, but I remember a lot of people pushing for her to receive an Oscar nomination for this movie.

I haven't seen it, but I remember a lot of people pushing for her to receive an Oscar nomination for this movie.
She definitely does a terrific job in the film.

Hereditary is a bit surprising for me, I haven't seen it but I thought it'd appear later in the list. I am a big fan of Midsommar and definitely gonna see Hereditary sometime close.

Btw I realized that I misunderstood "one-pointer". I thought them as movies included only in 1 list, but they should be in #25 too .

Hereditary wasn't my type, but I expected it to be much higher ranked. With it this low, I'd be surprised at this point to see Midsommar at all, which I see as a downright worse film.

Hereditary is a well made horror film that didn't do much for me outside of a couple of good moments.

I like The Man from Nowhere, more so the first time I watched it.

I was out of town last weekend, but one of the pre-reveal questions I meant to ask the group is how many of the ten Best Picture Oscar winners do you think will make the collective list? And as none have yet been revealed, I can still ask.

The ten films were The King's Speech, The Artist, Argo, 12 Years a Slave, Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), Spotlight, Moonlight, The Shape of Water, Green Book, and Parasite.

I'll guess eight of the ten make it.
I'm gonna put my two cents in and say 4. There are three that I really love and Parasite which I liked and heard people rave about. so I am going to say:
12 Years a Slave
Birdman
Spotlight
Parasite

Seen both Hereditary and The Man From Nowhere, but neither made my list.

My thoughts on Hereditary:
The film is really well directed and all the central performances are very good, especially Toni Collette, who shows a tremendous range and has some fantastic scenes. This is some of the best acting we have seen in a horror film in many years. The screenplay is better than the average horror film's and keeps you guessing until the end. The film has good dramatic moments and emotion, as well as being suspenseful, chilling, and genuinely creepy. The score is fantastic and enhances the mood of the film. If you appreciate quality, smart horror films, you don't want to miss this one.

My thoughts on The Man From Nowhere:
A solid action film elevated by the performance of Kim Sae-ron and a couple effective emotional moments.

Seen: 4/6