Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night
"Elf" is crap. I mean, it has Ferrell in it, right?
I also think Elf is crap not necessarily because of Ferrell but because it was crap.
I learned at work that this is not a popular opinion.

First Cow (2020) -

Much has been written on this film's anti-Capitalist themes and those discussions are interesting enough. Within the drab, poverty-stricken setting, the only two people who became successful and got noticed by the Chief Factor, the person who's responsible for the poverty in the area, was by stealing from his cow, whose significance can be read as Chief Factor owning the means to production. It reminds me a bit of last year's Parasite since both films involve the characters leeching off of those whose social rank is above them to get by.

While this is interesting though, I was mainly impressed by the thick air of inevitability which permeated all throughout the film. With the opening and Cookie's and King-Lu's first scene together, it was clear the film wouldn't end well for them. King-Lu was initially in a bad position when he met Cookie, and since Cookie chose to help him out, he doomed himself in the process, except both of them took various other risks throughout the film and, as their reputation around the village grew amongst the civilians and the Chief Factor, it always seemed as if their ruse would eventually collapse and that their actions were inching them one step closer to trouble. Even before that, it seemed as if the initial happiness they shared was temporary.

I also liked the production design and the cinematography in the way it lingered for a decent bit on most shots, giving me plenty of time to soak up the environment and feel the mood and atmosphere of various shots. Though this style was less impressive for the scenes set in the woods since the effective production design was absent, I did enjoy the technical aspects quite a lot for the most part.

Initially, I was unsure what to make of the opening, but it later grew on me. I think it did a good job at giving the film a sort of splice-like, fill in the blanks feel. Some parts of the film aren't explained such as how Cookie smuggled King-Lu out of the forest in the opening and if the other men traveling with him were aware of his presence, how King-Lu arrived back in the village,
WARNING: spoilers below
how King-Lu made it back to their house after escaping downriver, or how they both died, of course.
However, I think these bits help to convey your role as an observer; you don't know all the details since you only discovered their corpses, so understanding what happened to them requires for you to infer various bits.

WARNING: spoilers below
Speaking of the ending, I quite appreciated its ambiguity. My initial reaction was that the man who noticed Cookie by the river caught up to them and killed them as they were resting, but the interpretation I like the most is that they weren't ever caught. After realizing Cookie wouldn't last long enough to escape, King-Lu decided to die with him rather than continue on alone. In the final scene, he looked at the money they made as if he was contemplating leaving him, but instead he lied down with him. In that sense, it's perfectly fine that the film ends like this, because the point of the ending has to do with this, not so much on the way they died.

Overall, I really liked this one and I highly recommend it.

Scrooge (1935)
Seymour Hicks
Rewatch. An OK effort of this much loved Christmas story. Not the best version I’ve seen but worth a look. Story was a little bit fast paced compared to other versions.

The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone 1990 "2020"
(Francis Ford Coppola Re-Edit)

Well Robert Duvall is still not in it, and there is still some editing I'd like to do on this re-edit. The re-arranging and cutting of the scenes is definitely an improvement to the story. The films biggest problem remains making it in the 90's instead of 1976.

+
(from 76 to 84/100)

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
10/10 the santa clause movie trilogy. i had to rewatch these movies again cause its almost christmas and they are my favorite christmas movies and tim allen is a great actor

On the Rocks (2020)

This, I found, to be an extremely boring film about relationships. Trying a bit of modern Allen and Curtis. The problem is, the one person we're supposed to feel empathy for is rather whiney. Everyone has "perfect" jobs and money to spare. Bill Murray continues phoning it in here I'd say even though I know he likes working with Coppola. Dull film.

Is that the one with Mary Steenburgen?
Yep, and Roddy McDowall.

On the Rocks (2020)

This, I found, to be an extremely boring film about relationships. Trying a bit of modern Allen and Curtis. The problem is, the one person we're supposed to feel empathy for is rather whiney. Everyone has "perfect" jobs and money to spare. Bill Murray continues phoning it in here I'd say even though I know he likes working with Coppola. Dull film.

Crap, had high hopes for this one because I love the two leads. Still want to see it though.

MINE 9 (2019)
A film with set in a mine or cave

The third "blind-walk" so far this month, as I also knew nothing about this before hitting "Play". The film is set in a small coal-mining town in the Appalachians and follows a group of miners trapped after a methane explosion. The film really doesn't offer anything new or groundbreaking, but it's elevated by a decent cast and competent direction.

Director Eddie Mensore (who also produced, wrote, and edited the film) manages to successfully convey the dread and fear of working on a mine. The cast is mostly unknowns, but I liked Terry Serpico, who plays the lead miner. There are a good amount of clichés, but I thought it was ok.

Grade:

Victim of The Night
Yep, and Roddy McDowall.
Yeah, I used to watch that when I was young, was on 80s HBO a lot.

In the Fade -

Having only seen Diane Kruger in supporting roles, it was nice to see her play the lead for a change. She's up to the task in this terrorist drama where she plays Katja, a mother seeking justice for her Turkish father and son after they die in a terrorist attack. While Katja has allies in her sister and lawyer, she gets little help from the rest of her family and the police, each of whom shame her for falling in love with an immigrant who also happens to be an ex-con (home video flashbacks prove he was very much reformed, not to mention a great father, however). Kruger convincingly expresses the frustration and defeatism that come with being an unsereving pariah. The movie also features one of the most gripping courtroom scenes I've watched in a long time and a third act that is so tense that I forgot to breathe. Based on my prior experience with Kruger and the movie's subject matter, I went in expecting that it would end with Katja going Jack Bauer or Liam Neeson on her attackers. Such entertainment has its place, but it was a nice surprise to watch something that's aware that the world still doesn't know what to do about situations like Katja's. It also knows that it will take a little bit more than guns, detonators and a few well-timed phone calls.

Finally Found Someone (Filipino): 9/10

36.15 Code Pere Noel aka Deadly Games

A Gonzo Christmas horror that predates Home Alone but plays out as if Jeunet decided to cross it with Christmas Evil. It's impressively stylish and deliriously silly and mean. It's pacing feels odd and even at 80+ mins, it feels like it moves in spits and starts.

I'd like to nab the Vinegar Syndrome 4K Blu for cheap.

I haven't seen Affliction in years but I do remember being impressed by Nolte's performance and left agog at one man's inexorable disintegration. It was like watching a slow motion car wreck. Coburn is great too. Thanks for the reminder. Because of the Top 25 thing I've finally started a Top 100 and I'm adding this to it.