Scariest movie you saw as a child

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
ET scared me. Just what he looks like. That whole sequence in the begining with the baseball and the candy is freaky. And ET just looks freaky. With his extendo neck etc. And then they break out with the grey shriviled ET at the side of the creek. It scares the crap out of me.

Radioactive Spider Blood
That movie "Witches"... I don't know why, but I guess my imagination was soaring a little bit that day.

"Chances are, if your parents didn't have any kids, then you won't either."

Pet Cemetery.

The boat scene in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory is what got me when I was a kid.

What an acid trip that would be (if I actually did acid).

Female assassin extraordinaire.
sunfrog, that story of yours was hilarious. sorry to laugh at the terror of your traumatized childhood, but it was ... so vivid and so real, I could see you as a little kid going through all that mess.

Willy Wonka & TCF ... I only found the oompa loompas weird, but not scary. just they're coloring and that weird little song. I actually found Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) sexy as hell in that and I was what, 8 or something? something about a man in a purple velvet frock coat with all that candy-making power ...

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I forgot about Pet Cemetery, although I think it was Pet Cemetery 2 that got me. The scene with the sister(or mother?) on the band scared the hell out of me even as a teenager.

Oh and Outbreak scared me because I knew it could happen.

I wasn't scared, but Mighty Joe Young, for me, was like Outbreak in a way: the monkey isn't huge like King Kong - it's still big though: big enough that things like that can really exist - which blows my mind, and makes the movie much better.

I just borrowed a CD off my sister - "Themes from Classic Horror Movies" - and it brought back some scary memories when I was younger.

Omen - not so much when I was really young, as a lot of it's psychological terror, but freaky when I understood it.
Halloween
Nightmare on Elm Street
Poltergeist
Friday the 13th

I'm just going to resurrect this thread well because I wanna and it's interesting. I'm just surprised freddy/Jason flicks were only mentioned once or twice. Well my first horror movie was scream and I was scared to death until it started then I couldn't stop laughing but when I was real little I remember being afraid of the Micheal Jackson Video Thriller... but then again nowadays find a child or parent for that matter who doesn't fear Jackson

Pirates of The Carribean

The movie that scared me sh*tless when i was a kid was Carrie. i was soooo scared after i saw that.
WARNING: spoilers below
The part at the end when the girl goes to put the flowers over the guys grave and his hand pops out and grabs her scared me so much

after i saw that scene whenever i went to the bathroom i was scared to flush the toilet because the flushing thing was right over a small grabage pal so i though that would happen to me.

I would have to go with Candyman.

Candyman really scared me because then it really did make you afraid to say his name infront of a mirror.

The Birds by Alfred Hitchcock.... sooooooo real
Originally Posted by Zephyrus
What was the scariest movie you remember seeing as a child?? I remember watching Stephen King's "It" when I was about 6 years old, and it remains the scariest movie I saw as a child! I couldn't sleep at all that night, and my quality of sleep was VERY poor over the next few weeks For those of you who haven't seen it, it's about a clown who goes around eating children My brother saw it recently and said that it was more funny than scary...I haven't seen it since, and I like it to stay in my memory that way!!

It would have to be "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" this was very scary when i was young, now i think it is hilariously bad.

The Emperor of Ice Cream
Night of the Living Dead.

Wow some good answers going on here but one movie that tottaly sticks out in my mind would have to be Tim Burton's Beetlejuice. There were like a couple scene that would give me nightmares. Like the part where Gene Davis was in the closet then Cathrine O'hara opened the door and she pulled off her face to reveal like a bloody skull and stuff. Yeah that really is the only thing in a movie to ever really scar me as a child since i grew up watching Nightmare on elm street at the age of like 5.

Another on that sticks out in my mind would have to be The Ring. It wasn't so much the movie that scared me cause i thought it was pretty damn lame. But the thing that scared me happened after i watched the film. Ok i was fooling around with the dvd remote and i came across an easter egg of "The Video" (You know the one you see before ay die) well i watched the whole thing and right after like the exact second after.. My damn phone rang...At that moment my heart tottaly stopped and i just looked at the phone. Finaly working up the guts to answer it i picked it up and guess who was on the other line.....my grandma.. But thats the other thing. Sorry it was so long.

I still am a kid so most of these are recent, but most don't scare me anymore.

Pet Semetary
Halloween
Scream
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
(newest one)
Night of the Living Dead
And found he was eating his shoe.

The Shining (Kubrick)

It was a boring conversation anyway
Either though I loved it the movie that scared me the most when I was young was probaly Jurassic Park, because my cousins would always tell me they were going to feed me to the thing that spits all over Newman when he tries to get off the island.

What happened to the children in Willie Wonka frieghtened me quite a bit, so did the Wicked Witch and flying monkees from Wizard of Oz.

As far as what was new when I was a kid...Jaws, The Exorcist, The Omen, and Halloween.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."