100 Greatest Foreign Films

Tools    

5 - Bicycle Thieves (Vittorio De Sica, 1948)

4 - Tokyo Story (Yasujirō Ozu, 1953)

3 - La Règle du jeu (Jean Renoir, 1939)

2 - (Federico Fellini, 1963)

1 - Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa, 1950)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Some others for the 2000s, although this should be in another thread. I'd add Sophie Scholl: The Final Days and Tell No One.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Rashomon is the best Kurosawa.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Holy sh*t, I never would have guessed that order! Guess this means I'm gonna have to see Rashomon ASAP.

Glad to see a De Sica film so high, even though I don't think it's his best.

I'm glad Seven Samurai wasn't Kurosawa's highest film; it's an American Japanese film.

I'm glad Seven Samurai wasn't Kurosawa's highest film; it's an American Japanese film.
And yet the Japanese critics were not keen on Rashomon when it was released. Irony for ya. Either way, my two favorite Kurosawa movie's in the top ten and one taking the top spot? I call that a good list.

Rashomon is the best Kurosawa.
It sure is.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Good list Mark, not heard of that one so I'll add it to my watchlist too
That's an individual's favorites list. It doesn't have any methodology behind it, also I though that the film comments were rather ignorant.

Indeed. That movie even topped the 1952 Sign and Sound poll.

Well, the enormous influence of Seven Samurai over Hollywood can be easily perceived, but Rashomon also influenced western cinema to a very high degree. Overall, both movies remain ludicrously influential and very "American" in the sense that many American movies were enormously influenced by them.

Well, the enormous influence of Seven Samurai over Hollywood can be easily perceived, but Rashomon also influenced western cinema to a very high degree. Overall, both movies remain ludicrously influential and very "American" in the sense that many American movies were enormously influenced by them.
This is true but it also works both ways. Kurosawa was influenced by some of Hollywood's best, most notably John Ford.

That's an individual's favorites list. It doesn't have any methodology behind it, also I though that the film comments were rather ignorant.
Jeeeez.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

One movie i think is missing from the list is...

Umberto D.