Piranha 3D

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Piranha 3D

Boobs, Blood and Doc Brown.

An underwater tremor unleashes thousands of hungry Piranha that have thought to have been extinct for millions of years. Bad timing, because it's Spring Break.

Piranha was, what some people called, a rip off of Jaws. Another person wanting a piece of the pie. It went on to have a sequel, to be directed by the now famous James Cameron and it seems that it is time for a remake, in 3D no less. Do we need a remake? Probably not, but the film is fun and excessively violent, which makes for a good time for those looking for b- movie horror goodness. Piranha delivers on the levels it aims for, take that as you want to.

Alexandre Aja directs this film, let's just forget he did Mirrors okay? He gets the bloody mess off to an interesting start by having Richard Dreyfuss in the film. A nod to Jaws no doubt, but one can only assume that he had him in here to say that this film is either a: More scarier or B: More dangerous. I'd go with the latter because the film isn't scary. What's more dangerous though? One shark, or thousands of Piranhas? You pick.

So it's Spring Break, so the fish have hundreds of young drunk teenagers to eat, and boy do they eat. The film doesn't shy away from the bloody truth. Piranha's can strip a cow to it's bones in minutes, these guys are more aggressive. They've been feeding off each other for millions of years and now they have a variety of meat to pick from. Yummy. So people die in bloody, over the top, funny ways. The film is one for the people who cheer when someone has their legs torn off. If that's not you, you might want to stay away from this one.

Also, if you're not a fan of naked women, you might want to stay away from this one. This film is full of naked women, left right and centre. There is even an underwater naked swimming dance sequence set to opera music. It's weird and funny at the same time because it comes out of nowhere.

The film could have used more of it's cast. We have Richard Dreyfuss, Ving Rhames, Christopher Lloyd and Eli Roth. All of them are underused. Rhames, I thought was going to have a more hero type role, he doesn't. Roth has a total of maybe two scenes as does Lloyd. Dreyfuss only shows up at the beginning of the film. Once again, an interesting cast that is not put to good use. The film decides to stick with the blood and boobs.

The film is in 3D. I expected to have more fun with it than I did. Although I did enjoy it more than other 3D films I've seen. It has a more gimmicky feel to it and it actually fits with the film. Seeing bits of Piranha fly up at you is fun. Boobs in 3D, fish in 3D but the things that were used the most were the underwater coral reefs.

The theatre lost power near the end, so the last 3 or so minutes of the film we saw with no sound, but I could tell what was going to happen, even with the lack of audio. I'm not letting that affect my review for the film, but I can sense that the film was going to go for one of those jump-scare-abrupt endings.

Piranha 3D is a hoot, for those who know what they are getting into. In my theatre there were children, this is NOT A KIDS MOVIE!!!! This is more bloody and violent than any SAW film. Piranha is full of cheesy moments, and it works.

Suspect's Reviews

People Need To Re-Read **** Twice on Here
this movie looks so fun and entertaining. cant wait to see it . ^.^

"There's No F***ing Ice Cream In Your F***ing Future"

Day I say...off the chain? I dare. Haven't seen it yet, but I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. Not sure whether or not I'll bite on this, though it sounds like everything Snakes on a Plane promised to be, so I'm considering it, which is hysterical in and of itself.

Nice review.

ME in MAY 2010:
"I'm definitely not seeing this movie, could be fun but I don't know."

Boobs, Blood and Doc Brown.
After reading headline:

ME in MAY 2010:
"I'm definitely not seeing this movie, could be fun but I don't know."
That's how I was but then I was bored today. Honestly, that was some great gore. Some of the most raunchy deaths I've ever seen, but other than that it's what you expect from a B-movie. Fun is fun

Raunchy as in sexually vulgar or raunchy as in gorey/bloody? Regardless, I don't plan on seeing it.

Raunchy =
WARNING: "Raunchy Spoiler" spoilers below
pulling a living man out of the water with hardly any flesh on his legs and no penis...thereafter seeing two piranhas fighting over the penis

Well it's just entertainment folks

Sounds like a lot of fun. I definitely won't be seeing it in 3-D though. I am so over 3-D.

Raunchy = pulling a living man out of the water with hardly any flesh on his legs and no penis...thereafter seeing two piranhas fighting over the penis
This kind of brilliant sexual/visceral imagery should be hidden in a spoilers tag!

Yeah, there are people that say this movie might be fun to watch. These people are what I like to call, "wrong".

Hehe. I doubt I'll see this on the big screen, fun though it may be. Seems a tad relentless and a little too cringe-inducing. Not a huge fan of gore for its own sake, usually. I'll probably rent it, though.

It's interesting that you want to see this film but criticized A Serbian Film earlier.

The two are completely different. One is done for laughs, b-horror movie humour, the other is out to push people's buttons for the sake of it. A Serbian Film is a lack of decency.

The two are completely different. One is done for laughs, b-horror movie humour, the other is out to push people's buttons for the sake of it. A Serbian Film is a lack of decency.
That's a lazy perception. If they wanted to push people's buttons they would've made a snuff film. People said the same thing about Salo but that certainly had a purpose. Most people just don't want to see the worst of society picturized in a literal way

I want to agree with you, winter, but let's see this thing first. It might just be a load of crap and a failure. I don't think anything even close to Salo's combination of depth and depravity has been attempted and succeeded since.

They basically made the closest thing to a snuff film that would be played theatrically.

WARNING: "A Serbian Film" spoilers below
I mean, who wants to actually go out and watch a woman give birth to a kid, then watch a man have sex with that baby?

I want to agree with you, winter, but let's see this thing first. It might just be a load of crap and a failure. I don't think anything even close to Salo's combination of depth and depravity has been attempted and succeeded since.
Yeah, you're right. But I had to make the statement just in case. Onwards to streaming searching

They basically made the closest thing to a snuff film that would be played theatrically.
lolwut? How is it CLOSER to a snuff film? I'd say Lord of the Rings came the CLOSEST to a snuff film because
WARNING: "Lord of the Rings" spoilers below
it had about a billion orcs die at the end.
Or maybe Knowing 'cause
WARNING: "Knowing" spoilers below
everyone on earth died.
Death on film is death on film.