The Sidney Lumet Appreciation Thread

Tools    

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
I have done a search on this topic and found one dated in 2002 with only 2 comments since then, so I thought I would start a new thread.

Sidney Lumet

Martin Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick, Alfred Hitchcock, Billy Wilder, John Ford, John Huston. Mention any of these names and people that like movies will know who you are taking about and can probably name at least one movie they have made. Sidney Lumet. Mention him and you might get a blank stare. And yet Mr. Lumet has made more than 40 movies over a span of 50 years and IMHO at least 14 of them are masterpieces. The following is a list of his best.

1. 12 Angry Men (1957)
His debut film. Few directors have had such an auspicious beginning. The entire film takes place in a single room as 12 jurors argue and debate the fate of a young man charged with murder. An unbelievably great cast with some of America’s finest character actors. On my list of the 100 greatest films ever made. Nominated for Best Picture and Best Director.

2. The Fugitive Kind (1959)
Based on a play, Orpheus Descending, by Tennessee Williams. Not well treated by the critics or the public at the time, it is nevertheless a power film with an underappreciated and subtle performance by Marlon Brando. Cinematography by Boris Kaufman, a favorite of Lumet.

3. Long Day’s Journey Into Night (1962)
Also based on a play, this time by Eugene O’Neill. It has been called the greatest adaptation of a stage play to film. A truly stellar cast featuring Katherine Hepburn, Ralph Richardson, Jason Robards and Dean Stockwell, all of whom won best acting awards at the Cannes Film Festival.

4. The Pawnbroker (1964)
A haunting and bitter film of a man who has survived the Holocaust and the Concentration Camps but is now incapable of feeling any kind of love or human emotion. Even hate is denied him and he is left with only indifference. Rod Steiger’s finest performance. An emotionally draining film and it is on my list of 100 greatest.

5. Fail Safe (1964)
Came out the same year as Dr. Strangelove. Or How I Learned Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb. About the same subject matter, the accidental start of a nuclear war, this time played straight as a taut political Cold War thriller. It does not suffer in comparison. Powerful performances all around with a special nod to Fritz Weaver as a SAC military officer who cracks under the pressure and Frank Overton in masterfully understated performance as a general who doesn’t.

6. The Hill (1965)
This one also makes it onto my greatest 100 films list and is one of the great unknown films of all time. It stars Sean Connery (who would work with Lumet in 4 more films) as a British Master Sergeant sent to a British Army prison camp in the North African desert during WWII for striking a superior officer. The Hill is a mound of sand 50 foot high that the inmates must climb up and down as punishment. Outstanding performances by all, including Harry Andrews as the camp commandant, who believes in breaking men down to build them back up, Ian Bannen as an overly sympathetic guard, Ossie Davis, who in addition to being an inmate, must suffer the indignities of racism, and Ian Hendry who steals every scene he’s in as a sadistic camp guard who is ruthless in his ambition but a coward at heart. Find a copy of this movie and watch it.

7. Serpico (1973)
This movie stars Al Pacino as his career is just taking off and is the first film by Lumet with a theme (and a location he knows intimately, New York City) that he will continually revisit. Whereas Scorsese focuses on crime and the mob, Lumet focuses on crime and corrupt cops. Based on true events.

8. Murder on the Orient Express (1974)
Lumet’s adaptation of Agatha Christie’s best selling murder mystery. Beautifully photographed by Geoffrey Unsworth. This is what they mean when they say an all-star cast: Albert Finney, Lauren Bacall, Martin Balsam, Ingrid Bergman, Jacqueline Bisset, Jean-Pierre Cassel, Sean Connery. John Gielgud, Wendy Hiller, Anthony Perkins, Vanessa Redgrave, Richard Widmark, Michael York, Colin Blakely, and George Coulouris. The classic British murder mystery doesn’t get any better than this.

9. Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
One of the top 10 films of the 1970’s and one of Pacino’s signature performances, about a New York City bank robbery that goes bad. An outstanding performance by John Cazale (Fredo of The Godfather) in one of only 5 films he made before his untimely death. Based on true events. Nominated for Best Picture and Best Director.

10. Network (1976)
Also one of the 10 best films of the 1970’s that has one of the movies most oft quoted lines: “I’m as mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore!” Very prescient about how news would look, but in the days before cable news networks and before television news organizations were turned over to the entertainment divisions of giant corporations. Nominated for 10 Academy Awards including all acting slots and Best Director and Best Picture.

11. Equus (1977)
This is a very disturbing film that admittedly does not always quite work. Again it is based on a stage play, this time by Peter Schaffer. It is about a young 17 year old boy that loves horses yet has been found to have committed a horribly gruesome crime, the blinding of six horses with a metal spike in a stable in which he worked. It stars Richard Burton (in a fine muted performance) as a psychiatrist who tries to help the boy understand what he did. I liked it much more than the critics and it shows Lumet’s unflinching ability to tackle difficult projects. The stage play was revived last year in London with Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliff) in the role of the young boy.

12. Prince of the City (1981)
Lumet returns to his most common theme, that of police corruption. Also based on true events in New York City, it stars Treat Williams in the performance of his career. A very difficult role to play it spans a time frame of over ten years and Williams in virtually every scene of this 21/2 hour movie. He plays an honest cop who is appalled by the rampant corruption all around him. He is reluctantly persuaded to go under cover to root out bad cops, provided he does not have to ‘rat’ on his partners, but finds out that is not so easy. It is important to understand that Lumet’s films about police corruption are not just about portraying cops as bad guys. Too many films about this subject are just cheap thrillers. Lumet goes much deeper. His cops are very human beings, immersed in a dangerous, rotten business in which nobody gives a damn about them except themselves and the bond they form with each other as partners. This is his best on this theme.

13. The Verdict (1982)
This probably my favorite role by Paul Newman who plays Frank Gavin, a broken, alcoholic lawyer with one last chance at redemption when he takes a medical malpractice case. This is not just a courtroom thriller (which it does very well) but fundamentally a deep study of the character played by Newman. At the beginning he figures the case will bring him a nice chunk of change which he can settle out of court. But then he goes to visit the young victim at the hospital as she lies in bed in a irreversible coma. He under goes a profound change and vows to himself to fight and win this case for her, his client, and show to the world the malpractice of the doctors who have destroyed her life and maybe recover his own self-respect. The climatic scene with Lindsay Crouse (wife at the time of the screenwriter David Mamet and the star of Mamet’s House of Games) testifying as a former nurse is one of my favorite scenes in all of the movies. Nominated for Best Picture and Best Director.

[14. Running on Empty (1988)
This is a gem of a film that deals with another favorite theme of Lumet, the love that holds a family together, the high price that must be paid to achieve that, and what do the children owe to the parents that gave them life. River Phoenix plays the son whose parents in 1971 were anti-Vietnam War radicals and who planted a bomb to destroy a laboratory that made napalm. A nighttime caretaker was severely injured and blinded. They have been on the run from the FBI ever since, moving at a moments notice to stay ahead of the law. The son who was 2 years old at the time is now a young man in his late teens. His family is about to relocate and change identities again. But he has fallen in love with a young girl and wants to leave and pursue his own life and learn to become a concert pianist though he knows that to do so means he will never see his family again. Nominated for Best Picture and Best Director.

He has been nominated for Best Director at the Oscars 4 times and never won. He has directed 17 different actors in Oscar-nominated performances: Katharine Hepburn, Rod Steiger, Al Pacino, Ingrid Bergman, Albert Finney, Chris Sarandon, Faye Dunaway, Peter Finch, Beatrice Straight, William Holden, Ned Beatty, Peter Firth, Richard Burton, Paul Newman, James Mason, Jane Fonda and River Phoenix. Bergman, Dunaway, Finch and Straight won oscars for their performances in one of Lumet's movies.

Needless to say he is one of my all-time favorite directors and I wanted to take the opportunity to give him recognition and hopefully inspire and a new look at some of the best movies ever made.

Colour out of Time
Excellent thread

Fail Safe and 12 Angry Men were brilliant and Network and Murder on the Orient Express are the others that I am familiar with ... I will endevour to check other out, especially The Hill.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Great thread! Good job on it, although you missed my second favorite film of his, Before the Devil Knows you're Dead

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
That's because I haven't seen it yet, but trust me I will. The last Lumet film I watched was Find Me Guilty, which I found enjoyable. Vin Diesel was almost unrecognizable.
Go now! It has a great directing style in which you see the a lot of the same scene but from a different characters angle. It's great

There's an old Lumet thread HERE that was started back in 2002, and though it did get a little updated in '07 it never became an exhaustive discussion of the man's work. So what the hey...

I love Sidney Lumet. Definitely one of my all-time favorites and certainly one of the best living directors with a cinematic legacy most can only dream of. To be fair he has made some real stinkers along the way (Just Tell Me What You Want, Daniel, Guilty as Sin and the totally unnecessary remake of Gloria starring Sharon Stone to name some that are best forgotten). But overall his batting average is impressive and he has more than his share of undying classics.

Of the generation who came up in live television in the '50s and early '60s, including John Frankenheimer, Blake Edwards, George Roy Hill and Sydney Pollack, he's arguably the most successful...although it's George Roy Hill and Pollack who have Best Director Oscars to their credit. Now that Scorsese has finally broken through and Bob Altman and Stanley Kubrick are dead it leaves Sidney Lumet as the best American director around never to have won an Academy Award. Kevin Costner, Mel Gibson and Ron Howard have, but not Sidney Lumet. That seems fair.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, for its flaws, shows Lumet at the age of eighty-three ain't done yet. He is still the consummate actor's director and I doubt there are three thespians in the world today worth a damn who wouldn't leap at the opportunity to work with him. Because Lumet has no overwhelming visual or editorial style as his calling card he's dependent on great material even more than some other filmmakers, but I'm sure armed with a great script he could make another masterpiece tomorrow.

And I linked to this not too long back in the Movie Tab thread, but HERE is a nice piece from earlier this year with Lumet very frankly talking about his experiences with the Academy Awards over his amazing career.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

He is a great director. There are so many of his movies that I like. My favorites are:

Dog Day Afternoon
Before The Devil Knows You're Dead
Find Me Guilty
The Verdict
Network
Serpico
Power
Prince of The City

My Top 5 Fave Lumet pics:

5. Failsafe
The original version, which is a very enjoyable & suspensful movie thriller (even though George Clooney ain't innit). It is an excellent example of a minimalism style used to very good effect to build layer after layer of tension & desperation even within a group of people whose jobs are to prepare for such cataclysmtic situations.

4. Network
I'll be honest with you guys ....
I'm not really all that mad.
And I could probably take a little more.

3. Dog Day Afternoon

I love LOVE this movie. The tension & diasterous desperation of this movie begins & ends with Al's depiction of John Wojtowicz. Watching him trying to salvage the failed robbery attempt, you can just feel the downhill fatal end result oozing out of Pacino's character before it ever occurs. For me, this is the real start of Al's explosive charisma that's he's become famous for.

2. 12 Angry Men
12 Angry Men is such a good courtroom drama, that for me, it simply blows the majority of every other film in this genre out of the water (okay, technically this isn't really a "courtroom" drama because the entire film happens in the jury-room. But let's face it, the plot's purpose is one that leads into the most important part of the courtroom process, the verdict).
The combination of a tight script with a solid ensemble cast (oh, & lets not forget a big screen directoral debut for Sidney Lumet) make for a tense, compelling movie that even though it keeps 99% it's entire length within one room, a viewer can't help but to be spellbound.

1. The Verdict

Probably my favorite court drama of all time. A Lumet film with a great performance by Newman. Paul portrays a disheveled, aging, never-has-been, malpractice lawyer who finds within himself the humanity which never really had a chance to surface due to the layered weight of his chronic alcoholism. The movie & Newman's performance sets up very well the desolation & loneliness that the main character moves his life thru as he goes up against the legal system that giganticly favors the "big guys" over the "little guys". You really get the sense that Newman knows that he stands no chance of winning the case, but continues moving on forward because he is, for the 1st. time, fueled by the honesty & goodness of what is right. A feeling that is so new to him, that, combined with the realization that a human life is totally dependent him for justice, it becomes an emotion exhilirating enough to keep an almost broken old man to keep fighting on, no matter how high the price.
One of those rare times when the performance comes thru real enough to make us (oh, what am I'm talkin' about this "us" bullcrap? What I really mean is "me" ) almost believe that even under the most insurmountable odds, there is always some kind of hope.