Oscar's Best Picture (2009)

Tools    

Which of these movies will win Best Picture?
25.00%
8 votes
THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
3.13%
1 votes
FROST/NIXON
15.63%
5 votes
MILK
3.13%
1 votes
THE READER
53.13%
17 votes
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
32 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Here are the five Academy Award nominees for Best Picture: The Curiuous Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, MILK, The Reader and Slumdog Millionaire. Which do you think will win? Which do you want to win? What's missing? Vote and discuss.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I haven't seen any of these movies as I've been busy and haven't been going to the movie theaters as much - damn you real world. However I plan on seeing Milk and The Wrestler. Possibly Slumdog Millionaire. I will go see The Wrestler tonight with my girlfriend. I'm interested in the sport and yes it is a sport. Sports are afterall about entertaining, even if the outcomes are scripted. Great to see Rourke nominated for Best Actor, but it'd also be nice to see the film there.

I think Slumdog Millionaire will get it based on all the hype. In general I don't think it was a really strong year for films - yes I know I need to get out and watch them.

I am glad The Dark Knight wasn't nominated for Best Picture as I wasn't impressed with it. Good to see Ledger in the supporting actor spot instead of actor.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Slumdog's got this. No matter what anyone will do. If Hell freezes over with a pig flying in mid air with the world ending, that will win. However, my personal favorite would probably have to be Milk. I know I rated Benjamin Button higher in my review thread, but Milk made me actually step back and re-evaluate my opinion on gays. I can't remember much about Benjamin Button right now, except for it's similarities to Forrest Gump. But, [put's cheerleading voice on] GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MILK!

well, somebody had to vote for the reader. imo, (and I've seen none of them - only trailers and reviews for all) it was a toss up b/t the reader and slumdog as #1, with TCCOBB running second.

I am half agony, half hope.
I'm way behind in viewing these movies, just saw Slumdog Millionaire today. I'll see another next weekend and hopefully get caught up soon. Honestly though, some of these films aren't exactly the type of thing I'd run out to see except for the fact that they're nominated.

Johann von Goethe

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
But what did you think of Slumdog? As far as I can tell, it's the only movie anybody talks about with any passion, so I have to believe that it's the WEINER, for sure.

That's why I'm picking Button. I liked Slumdog. Probably more than a few reviewers I've seen here, but it was a little depressing too. Button was just mediocre to me. And I'm sorry mark, but it is a lot like Gump and I simply like Gump a helluva lot more. Which is exactly why it will win Best Picture. See what I did there? That's PW logic coming on strong! Who cares anyway the best movie of the year didn't make the field this year.

For some of the reasons I detailed in the Best Director thread, I think it's pretty clear to everybody that The Reader and Frost/Nixon have about no chance of winning. I'd be shocked if either got more than 5% of the total vote. So forget them.

I think like Best Director this is a three-way race, and therefore difficult to call.

MILK is the kind of socially relevant biopic the Academy likes, as well they should. But this one is no stuffy history or acidic polemic, but a charming and humanistic epic of one man's soul. That man's last act of his life was devoted to a public defense of his beliefs, but Van Sant's movie doesn't spend a lot of time cramming that stuff down your throat or stacking the deck with manipulative graphic scenes of Gay bashing or arch over-the-top bigots (the clips of Anita Bryant, not withstanding). But when you consider how all of that could have been played, the script and film exercise a lot of restraint, instead focusing on the personal toll these campaigns took on Harvey. And it's a great performance by Sean Penn (who I think will win Best Actor). Harvey's sexuality is presented in the film, but it is neither lurid and exploitative nor is it completely neutered or downplayed. It is presented in a matter-of-fact fashion without pushing buttons, which makes his losses in love feel real and universal. That MILK's release corresponds with the passing of Proposition 8 in California this past November only helps it, both to put it into both an immediate and historic context and, in Oscar voting terms, to put it in the front of people's minds instead of the back.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is an epic romantic fantasy. Those of us who like it got wrapped up in it all, despite the conceit of its plot, and its detractors just plain don't get what we all like about it. The haters can't be talked into liking it, and surely an Oscar win or seven will not sway them either. I suspect there are going to be more who are in tune with it among the voting body of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences than among the professional critics or the public at large. It is a big, sweeping, dreamlike epic and even though it isn't exactly "light" it is old fashioned Disney compared to the darkness of recent winners No Country for Old Men, The Departed, Crash and Million Dollar Baby. If the voting body wants a return to something more hopeful and romantic among the role of Best Pictures, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button may be just the antidote.

Of course if they want to go much happier, you can't beat the feeling you get walking out of the theatre from Slumdog Millionaire, which with all of its dark moments coming from the dirtiest and bleakest beginnings has a throughline of a romantic fantasy with a very happy ending, even with a triumphant dance number under the end credits. Slumdog is surely the most emotionally engaging and ultimately "fun" of the five nominees. But is that going to translate into it being namd Best Picture?

If there's one main obstacle in the way of Slumdog's path to the biggest of Oscar gold it may be that its that it isn't an "American" production. Remember, the Oscar voters are made chiefly of all the guilds of the American movie business. So the question becomes is Slumdog so good that the electricians and front office personnel and third assistant directors and visual effects supervisors and such who don't have any friends on the Slumdog crew nor even know their names, are they going to vote for a Picture made by strangers rather than one of the homegrown pics like MILK or Button where they know virtually everybody and see them at guild meetings and whatnot? Some of the financing and distribution for Slumdog is U.S, dollars, but this was a U.K. production shot mostly with an Indian crew and without one single American of any note in the cast.

So you have to look back at Oscar history. What "non-American" movies have won in the past few decades? Shakespeare in Love and The English Patient, but both were being pimped heavily by Harvey Weinstein back when Miramax was still Miramax. Bertolucci's The Last Emperor, but that was an old style David Lean-type historical bio-epic. I think Chariots of Fire may be the best corollary. Not because it was as moving as Slumdog, but it was an entirely British production. It was also one of the biggest Oscar upsets ever, beating out Beatty's epic Reds, the sentimental favorite On Golden Pond (which won Best Actor and Actress for its aging stars) and the Spielberg/Lucas popcorn masterpiece Raiders of the Lost Ark.

So is Slumdog, as enjoyable as it is, going to break into those ranks? I don't think so. It's going to get plenty of votes, to be sure, but I don't see it rising to the top. So I think it comes down to MILK or Benjamin Button, and even with the recent loss of Brokeback Mountain a few Oscars back, I think this time MILK will be named Best Picture. But it's one of the closer races in recent years.

Unless the people who work in the Guilds are far more jingoistic than I believe they may actually be, I'm pretty sure that Slumdog Millionaire will win. It's actually amazing that there are only about 6000 voting members of the Academy, so most "technicians" don't even get a vote because the majority of the members are actors, or at least, people who list "Acting" as their profession on their income tax return. Now, the Golden Globes... you've got around 90 people voting for that and none of them are Hollywood actors so even though their significance has risen over the years, it's difficult to say how significant it truly is.

The Screen Actors Guild is definitely the largest voting block. But then their votes at their own SAG Awards should match up more often than they do with the Oscar winners if they had real control. Especially when it comes to "Best Ensemble Cast", which is their equivalent of Best Picture at the SAGs, in the thirteen years since they've been voting on such a thing it has only matched six times. And some of the discrepancies were huge, such as The Birdcage, which didn't even get a nomination in the major Academy categories, much less win Best Picture. The other six differences were Apollo 13, The Full Monty, Traffic, Gosford Park, Sideways and Little Miss Sunshine (the agreements with Oscar were Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Chicago, LOTR: The Return of the King and No Country for Old Men).

We'll see. I certainly wouldn't be shocked to see Slumdog Millionaire win, nor would it be undeserving of the top honor, I just don't think it's going to make it to the top of that particular mountain.

But it's cool that there's actually going to be some actual suspense before the envelope is opened this year, no clear runaway winner.

I've never especially considered the "Best Ensemble Cast" as being the equivalent of the "Best Film" Oscar. Rather, I see it as a way for the Actors to acknowledge the work of their peers, especially the ones they feel may not ever get acknowledged otherwise.

I think it would be pretty cool if Milk won actually. And I don't mean to come off as a Button basher. Button is actually the type of film I usually enjoy. I'm not going to be pissed if any of the 3 films Holden mentioned win. I'm just upset about the glaring omission and I'm getting so worked up about it, I'm probably letting it get in the way of my impartiality (like I have any HA!).

In the Beginning...
Yeah, I think Holden is right. I've said already that I think Milk is going to take it down because all the right ingredients are there. Although I would put Frost/Nixon a little closer in the running to the front, simply because recent interest politics has been widespread and infectious, and that's one charged film. I think it's a comfortable dark horse, but I still see Milk getting the statue.

The PGA used to be a pretty dead-on indicator: in the decade of the 1990s all but two of their awards matched up with the Oscar Best Picture: The Crying Game/Unforgiven and Apollo 13/Braveheart being the only two deviations. But in this new century they've been different almost as much as they've been the same: in nine years five matches and four differences, the deviations being Moulin Rouge!/A Beautiful Mind, The Aviator/Million Dollar Baby, Brokeback Mountain/Crash and Little Miss Sunshine/The Departed. We'll see if their Slumdog pick drops them to 50% or boosts them up to 60% for the decade.