Music-wise, What's Your Latest Discovery?

Tools    

Racer X - Great band, can't believe i never heard of them for so long, mind you, finding their stuff was a little challenge.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Israel Iz Kamakawiwo'ole.
Hawain music, love his version of " Somewhere over the rainbow " and " Wonderfull World ".
Also does a Hawain version of " Take me home country road ".
" Somewhere over the rainbow " has been in loads of films, just can't think of any off the top of my head.
Iz was a huge bear of a man, and his ukulele looks like a baby's toy in his giant hands!
Nice to chil to on a warm summer's day.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I ate all your bees.
I've been getting into some Indie Bands of late

Death Cab for Cutie - Their songs 'Movie Script Ending', 'Expo 86', 'Lack of Colour', 'Title and Registration' to name a few.

I recently heard the band 'Interpol' as well and their songs 'Evil' and 'Next Exit' are top tracks.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Dream Theater, only just got into them. E. P. I. C.
Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater Drummer) It's a WMV of the drummer kicking ass. Be amazed as 2 hands sound like a gazillion.

For me I've somehow stumbled into the blues. None of that newage gina' sht, but some straight corn-pipe-smoking-overall-wearing-steel guitar-pluckin'-raspy-voice BLUES type ish'. WORD UP!
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Starcraft good in 97' good now
old like "funk songs" like earth wind and fire

I got for good luck my black tooth.
cool, how 'bout Parliament?

"Gotta have that funk!"

Welcome to the human race...
THE VELVET UNDERGROUND

Picked up the banana album for about A$23 and have been listening to it regularly. It's got some great tunes on there (notably Heroin, Venus In Furs, All Tomorrow's Parties and Sunday Morning)

Got to get the Gold edition.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Magnolia Electric Co.

I went to a festival this past summer and before we entered it we sat outside drinking wine for a while and a band started to play just on the other side of the fences. "Hey, this sounds like Songs: Ohia!", I said. And then it turned out to be Jason Molina's new band, Magnolia Electric Co. A friend got me a copy of their debut, a live album recorded in Brussels, but I haven't listened to it until today. But it's pretty good.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

They've been showing a "history of soul music" series by BBC here on TV. I wouldn't say that it made me discover soul but it showed some fantastic live performances by James Brown and I also felt like getting some more into Sly & The Family Stone, Funkadelic and Parliament. So I ordered some CDs right away. They also showed some really interesting stuff about Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Aretha, Mary J. and others. Really good documentary series.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
They've been showing a "history of soul music" series by BBC here on TV. I wouldn't say that it made me discover soul but it showed some fantastic live performances by James Brown and I also felt like getting some more into Sly & The Family Stone, Funkadelic and Parliament. So I ordered some CDs right away. They also showed some really interesting stuff about Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Aretha, Mary J. and others. Really good documentary series.
That's great Piddy! I love some of the old soul and funk music. Try Rick James too.

Btw...have you seen Standing In The Shadows of Motown yet?

If you haven't, I'd really recommend it. It's wonderful and eye opening.
Here's a link that will tell you more about it.
Standing in the Shadows of Motown

Originally Posted by Aniko
That's great Piddy! I love some of the old soul and funk music. Try Rick James too.

Btw...have you seen Standing In The Shadows of Motown yet?

If you haven't, I'd really recommend it. It's wonderful and eye opening.
Here's a link that will tell you more about it.
Standing in the Shadows of Motown
I've had my eyes on a couple of Rick James albums for a while now. I just have to melt the last CDs I've bought recently first. Right now I'm listening to Sly & The Family Stone - and I really like it. I also got "Maggot Brain" with Funkadelic yesterday but I have to say that my first impression was that it was too much guitar lickin' and not enough groove. Parliament are more fun.

I haven't seen Standing In the Shadow of Motown yet. At least, I don't think so. I saw bits of a Funk Brothers documentary a couple of weeks ago, but I think it was mostly about a reunion concert with lots of guest artists.

Man of La Movies
Deathcab For Cutie
The Music - Welcome to the North album
The Dandy Warhols
Bloc Party
Black Lab
Jamie Cullum

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart

My Reputation: Holy Crap, I'm Well thought of!!!?? I think we're going a little far here??