The Dark Night Owns Midnight

Tools    

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Interesting how the press headline in this story makes it sound like it can reach Titanic's numbers:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...tory?track=rss

I tend to agree that Titanic is a phenomenon that may never happen again, but I do think if a film keeps getting repeat business, they won't rush to put it on DVD. I mean, there is a possibility some film could beat Titanic one day....

Aye, it'll happen one day. But I suspect ticket prices will have to be a good deal higher, first. And seeing as how no film has even come within $100 million of Titanic yet, they'll need to be a confluence of events around an already stellar production for it to happen, as has been the case with The Dark Knight.

There are those who call me...Tim.
It says a lot about the film that we're all secretly disappointed it won't beat the highest grossing film of all time

Who watches the Watchbear?
While 441 is close to 500, something I've observed.... at least at my local theaters, the Dark Knight is already on way fewer screens than before. While it's certainly not fair to compare it to Iron Man, I believe that movie had slightly more consistent numbers throughout the end of its run, dragging it on well over two months or however long it was. With other big flicks popping up at the end, will the Dark Knight really be able to keep pushing? With it on the brink of fall and eventual Oscar season, will people still want to see Batman again? While I'm rooting for it, I can't help but feel skeptical. Whether because of the long running time, return to school/work/whatever, the competing movies - I dunno that TDK will have the staying power.

I think it'll make $500 million domestically, but pass Titanic? No way, no how. That became impossible around its third weekend. The dropoffs have been smaller than a lot of people had predicted, but nowhere near small enough to compete with Titanic, which was truly incomparable. It's box office trajectory was a complete anamoly, whereas The Dark Knight is actually following a fairly normal trajectory (save for its strong weekday grosses), but simply opened from a higher place to begin with.

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
Domestic Total as of Aug. 20, 2008: $475,343,000

In Release: 34 days / 4.9 weeks

Widest Release: 4,366 theaters

Current Release: 3,590 theaters

Cha-Ching!!!!

132 days left in the year.

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
Domestic Total as of Sep. 4, 2008: $506,482,539

In Release: 49 days / 7 weeks

Widest Release: 4,366 theaters

Current Release: 2,750 theaters

It took Titanic 3 months to hit $500,000,000
It took The Dark Knight 7 weeks

We're in the money, we're in the money;
We've got a lot of what it takes to get along!
We're in the money, that sky is sunny,
Old Man Depression you are through, you done us wrong.
We never see a headline about breadlines today.
And when we see the landlord we can look that guy right in the eye
We're in the money, come on, my honey,
Let's lend it, spend it, send it rolling along!

Oh, yes we're in the money, you bet we're in the money,
We've got a lot of what it takes to get along!
Let's go we're in the money, Look up the skies are sunny,
Old Man Depression you are through, you done us wrong.
We never see a headline about breadlines today.
And when we see the landlord we can look that guy right in the eye
We're in the money, come on, my honey,
Let's lend it, spend it, send it rolling along!

"We're in the Money," lyrics by Al Dubin, music by Harry Warren (from the film Gold Diggers of 1933, 1933)

Along with the current box office, right now Bangkok Dangerous is in the lead. When The Dark Knight opened, it beat Mamma Mia! But, now The Dark Knight is being covered by present day box-office hits.