The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

"For fullest enjoyment - See Jaws from the beginning"?

Who the Hell isn't going to see films from the beginning? Names, dammit! I. Want. Names.

"For fullest enjoyment - See Jaws from the beginning"?

Who the Hell isn't going to see films from the beginning? Names, dammit! I. Want. Names.
In previous eras, going way back like before the '60s and '70s and definitely going back to the days pre-television, it was common for people to walk in and out of movies whenever, especially if they were staying for a double feature or longer. They might wander in with half an hour left, then stay and catch it from the beginning next show. Psycho was the one that, really for an advertising gimmick but it worked and started changing the culture, said that "No one...BUT NO ONE...will be admitted to the theatre after the start of each performance."

But things like that are slow to change, so even by the time of Jaws in '75, it was still a point of advertising.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Not on screen they can't, not if they want an R. Ask John Waters.
I really want to do commentaries for the really trashy John Waters movies. Haven't done any yet except Serial Mom by myself.

This has no bearing on the movie, but I've always found it very odd that The Outlaw Josey Wales, a movie with lots of killing, bloodshed, attempted rape, nudity, etc, is rated PG, the same as most Disney movies.
Planet of the Apes was rated G on release, and that had Heston's bare ass in it. But that was the 60's.

I'm still hoping for Chinatown to win this, but it will probably end up around fifth place.

If The Godfather wins, we'd have Pacino and Brando winning the '70s, Nicholson winning the '80s and De Niro winning the '90s! That would also be cool and it's probably more realistic than Nicholson winning again...

We could also have a second Kubrick win with A Clockwork Orange, but that film will probably end up in the lower half of the top 10.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Some day I will shamefully watch Pink flamingos and it will join the ranks of Sharknado and Meet the Spartans on my all time list.

We could also have a second Kubrick win with A Clockwork Orange, but that film will probably end up in the lower half of the top 10.
A Clockwork Orange is popular, but I don't see it beating Taxi Driver, The Godfather, or Chinatown. I see those as the top 3.

Some day I will shamefully watch Pink flamingos and it will join the ranks of Sharknado and Meet the Spartans on my all time list.
Nonsense, Pink Flamingos is hilarious. Those two movies are made of more S*** then the dog turd at the end of the movie.

A Clockwork Orange is popular, but I don't see it beating Taxi Driver, The Godfather, or Chinatown. I see those as the top 3.
Yeah. Those will probably our top 3. Jaws could possibly be a threat, though.

That reminds me of my last date with Sexy Celebrity. Sure, the stitches may sting a bit, but the rest ain't so bad. Plus it's a great source of fiber.
Hope you're hungry because it's almost dinner time.

I see it going like this:

1. The godfather
2. Taxi driver
3. Star Wars
4. Jaws
5. The godfather part 2