Best/Worst Blind Buy

Tools    

I'm not sure if a thread like this has been done before, but what was your best/worst blind buy? My best has to be Arrested Development Season 1, I got the DVD set really cheap, and the episodes are hiliarious. My worst was Superman Returns, I bought it packaged with a little tin case, and was dissapointed to find what a lack luster film it was.

Best was probably The Straight Story and the worst, either, bigbrother.com or The Assassination Of Richard Nixon.

The first is dreadful, but then I expected it to be and I just hoped for a good/bad cheesy horror film. Whereas, TAoRS was something I thought I'd like and really, really didn't.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
My best blind buy had to be either Unforgiven, Antwone Fisher, or The Silence of the Lambs

My worst blind buys go to either Traffic, Still Waiting, or Fantastic 4

Anarchist within reason
Best Blind Buy: Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

Worst Blind Buy: Harry Brown
If at his council I should turn aside, Into that ominous tract which all agree, Hides the Dark Tower. Yet aquiescingly I did turn as he pointed, neither pride nor hope at the end descried, so much as gladness that some end might be.

Robert Browning 'Childe Roland to The Dark Tower Came'

Best: Quills

Worst: It's All About Love

Both star Joaquin Phoenix. The former turned out to be my #1 favorite movie, and the latter tuned out to be... not.

I once read a review of It's All About Love in which the author said something to the effect of he had to believe that the cast (Joaquin Phoenix, Claire Danes, and Sean Penn) had been forced at gunpoint to sign on to this project because he had too much respect for them to believe that they willingly participated in such a piece of garbage. I have to agree.

A lot well almost everyone of the bad blind buys I have bought I've gotten rid of over the years and to be honest and thankful I can't really remember them.

Some that went well beyond my expectations:
Coffy
Jacob's Ladder
What Dreams May Come
The Rookie

A brilliant blind buy but I had a extremely good feeling I was going to love it was Children of Men which I did.

Right now my only bad buy I can come up with is Defiance.

I bought K-9 for the first film which I had seen though the sequels I hadn't and from what I watched they were awful.
K-9 One Two Three

Some that went well beyond my expectations:
Coffy
YES, YES, YES!

Foxy Brown, the second movie, was a blind buy for me, and while it's not as good as Coffy, it was still a good blind buy.

YES, YES, YES!

Foxy Brown, the second movie, was a blind buy for me, and while it's not as good as Coffy, it was still a good blind buy.
Coffy and Foxy were actually both blind buys for me. I agree, Foxy is good but it's no Coffy. Foxy is more of a pay off film. The First hour is all nessacary and if you can get threw it you will be rewarded.

Transformers has got to be the worst blind buy I have ever done. I loved the Transformers as a kid so I assumed it was worth the 30 bucks. I watched it and couldn't believe I spent that much money on that crap. That Shia kid jeez I can't stand him. I was moving recently and going threw things and actually gave this DVD away. No joke.

Transformers has got to be the worst blind buy I have ever done. I loved the Transformers as a kid so I assumed it was worth the 30 bucks. I watched it and couldn't believe I spent that much money on that crap. That Shia kid jeez I can't stand him. I was moving recently and going threw things and actually gave this DVD away. No joke.
Really, I didn't think one was superbad. Though I see were your coming from. Not that you need the advice but defaintly stay away from part two it's about five times worse if you can imagine it.

I've given away bad films for free before. To my brother and to my surprise he snuck them back in with films he had borrowed from me.

Employee of the Month
Employee of the Month - in the videostore, I passed this dark comedy about a 1000 times. Even while I like the cast, the cover and the plot-summary don`t look brilliant, just boring. Bought it for just 3 Euro last year, watched it about 10 times since then.

NARC - Similar story. Great thriller.

Butterfly Effect:Revelations - Part 2 was crap, so I don`t expect much from this one. But it was surprisingly good.

How do you define a blind buy? Is it okay to know what the movie is about, or shall you not know anything about it?

If it's okay to know what it's about, but never seen it before - here's my best and worst...

Best buy:
The adventures of Priscilla queen of the desert
Annie Hall
The Hurt Locker
Gossip Girl

Worst buy:
Twillight
New Moon
Burn after reading

There are those who call me...Tim.
My best: Good Will Hunting (one of my favourite films)

My worst: N/A I've yet to blind-buy a film that I didn't end up enjoying

I'm just an ordinary guy with nothing to lose.
Best: The Unforgiven (From the first minutes to the awesome ending I was hypnotized by the screen)

Worst: None, yet.

OK, I have to ask. After buying one of the Twilight films (and not liking it) why did you double dip?
Because I bought them at the same time, luckily I got New Moon cheap.
And I'm way to curious to not watch New Moon after seeing Twillight.